Guardians of the Galaxy BoX Office Thread

Yeah, same. I didn’t catch Wakanda Forever in theaters, for example, and I’ve got five credits piled up on my Cinemark account. I guess I just kind of got out of the habit during the pandemic.
Habits are hard to reform when broken.

Nothing I said precludes a big blockbuster happening. If you have a hook like Avatar or Tom Cruise it can happen. People will come out. But that’s never been Guardians.
Guardians was the 4th highest grossing film of 2017 in North America with over $350 million. I think those are big numbers and enough to be considered as part of the "big leagues".

Though like I said before, most of its success was because of Marvel Studios. And Guardians clearly peaked back in 2017 and I don't think Volume 3's numbers have anything to do with Covid. People aren't just interested to Guardians of the GalaXy as they were before, just like the X-Men in 2019. I also think this puts Marvel Studios in an interesting place. Surely if Quantumania was as received well as the previous Ant-Man movies, its legs would have been better and the goodwill for Marvel Studios would be much better, and there could have been more buzz/hype for Volume 3.

On the brighter side, I think both Ant-Man and Guardians are done anyway when it comes to headlining their movies even if their latest movie were smashing records. I just hope the hype for future Marvel movies wouldn't evaporate the way DCEU did, especially for the time when the reboot for Blade, 4 and X-Men are about to open in theaters.

I don't have a lot of confidence with Thunderbolts and New World Order.

Last edited:
Most films ever released lacked something NWH had lol. It's 7th all time worldwide without China where it would have been huge! I reckon it would have been 3rd all time if it had China.

Based from the previous MCU 3quels, Guardians 3 is unfortunately the only 3quel that isn't outgrossing its predecessors in North America. While Ant-Man 3 failed short from outgrossing Ant-Man 2 in North America, by 3 million which is too close. That should have been easy for Ant-Man 3 since it opened higher.

Avengers 3 - 678 vs A1 623
Spider-Man 3 - 804 vs SM2 390
Thor 3 - 315 vs T2 206
Captain America 3 - 408 vs CA2 259
Iron Man 3 - 409 vs IR1 318

Ant-Man 3 - 213 vs AM2 216
Guardians 3 - 250? vs GOTG1 333

Looking at those numbers, its a bit alarming especially for a franchise that plans to release 3 to 4 movies every year for the neXt 5 years.

This should serve as a big lesson to Marvel Studios, moving forward. Last year, DS2 easily outgrossed DS1. While T4 outgrossed T3 in North America. I personally focus more on North American boX office than worldwide numbers since NA is the #1 market for Marvel movies. I think its eXpected that Marvels won't come close to outgrossing CM. I'm not confident it wouldn't even hit the $300 million mark in North America. So over all, the boX office numbers this year for Marvel Studios would be down compare to previous years and I doubt Disney bosses would be happy.

Last edited:
Based from the previous MCU 3quels, Guardians 3 is unfortunately the only 3quel that isn't outgrossing its predecessors in North America. While Ant-Man 3 failed short from outgrossing Ant-Man 2 in North America, by 3 million which is too close. That should have been easy for Ant-Man 3 since it opened higher.

Avengers 3 - 678 vs A1 623
Spider-Man 3 - 804 vs SM2 390
Thor 3 - 315 vs T2 206
Captain America 3 - 408 vs CA2 259
Iron Man 3 - 409 vs IR1 318

Ant-Man 3 - 213 vs AM2 216
Guardians 3 - 250? vs GOTG1 333

Looking at those numbers, its a bit alarming especially for a franchise that plans to release 3 to 4 movies every year for the neXt 5 years.

This should serve as a big lesson to Marvel Studios, moving forward. Last year, DS2 easily outgrossed DS1. While T4 outgrossed T3 in North America. I personally focus more on North American boX office than worldwide numbers since NA is the #1 market for Marvel movies. I think its eXpected that Marvels won't come close to outgrossing CM. I'm not confident it wouldn't even hit the $300 million mark in North America. So over all, the boX office numbers this year for Marvel Studios would be down compare to previous years and I doubt Disney bosses would be happy.
Guardians had already achieved much of its potential early on IMO with less room to grow, unlike most of those other films. I doubt anyone expected it to go all that much higher than the first film to say over a billion over the course of 2 more films. It was the smallest property by far of the above before release. Even many longtime conic readers hadn't heard of them! Cap, Thor and Iron Man SHOULD be making a lot more than them!

Guardians had already achieved much of its potential early on IMO with less room to grow, unlike most of those other films. I doubt anyone expected it to go all that much higher than the first film to say over a billion over the course of 2 more films. It was the smallest property by far of the above before release. Even many longtime conic readers hadn't heard of them! Cap, Thor and Iron Man SHOULD be making a lot more than them!
The ceiling for Guardians of the GalaXy is $389 million (NA) which both Cap and Iron Man surpassed. Thor didn't get there but worldwide, T3 was close to GOTG2.

Guardians was the 4th highest grossing film of 2017 in North America with over $350 million. I think those are big numbers and enough to be considered as part of the "big leagues"
And Vol. 3 is on pace right now to take the No. 2 spot both domestically and WW. Obviously there is half a year to go and its anyone’s guess what the final rankings will be, but it’s on track for something like 300+/700+. In short it’s performing like a normal Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

And Vol. 3 is on pace right now to take the No. 2 spot both domestically and WW. Obviously there is half a year to go and its anyone’s guess what the final rankings will be, but it’s on track for something like 300+/700+. In short it’s performing like a normal Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
The entire summer movie season has to be underperforming for Volume 3 to take the No. 2 spot for the rest of the year. Anyway thats irrelevant, since 2023 is still a long way to go.

But this movie needs great legs because right now, its #3 GOTG movie, both in North America and Worldwide. It is unlikely it will gross over $772 million.

Last edited:
Vol. 3's numbers may not be earth-shattering, but it looks like it's doing very well, and it has the potential to finish higher than Love and Thunder.

Vol. 3's numbers may not be earth-shattering, but it looks like it's doing very well, and it has the potential to finish higher than Love and Thunder.
Considering that this has better reviews and that Vol. 2 wasn't outgrossed by any Thor movies, it should be.

Considering that this has better reviews and that Vol. 2 wasn't outgrossed by any Thor movies, it should be.

Good reviews and a good audience score don't guarantee great box office. Case in point, Super Mario Bros. Movie, 58-59%. And then look at Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, which flopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"