BR-DVD add on coming in May?

Mentok

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/J7L7H2R4

Microsoft Plans Blu-ray 360, Due In May?

Rumours were circulating today that Microsoft is set to dump HD DVD and bring out a Blu ray Xbox 360 by as early as May 2008. The move will allow the Company to go head to head with the Sony PS3 gaming console which has been credited with being one of the main reasons that retailers have preferred Blu ray over Toshiba’s HD DVD.
Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft have already configured a standalone Blu ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months.

The Company has also been working on a built in Blu ray player however insiders are claiming that Microsoft see the HD format battle moving online with consumers offered 1080p movie and content files as a download as opposed to having to buy a HD or Blu ray DVD.

Both Intel and Microsoft have been supporters of the HD DVD format that is set to be killed off this week.

The Company has also held discussions with several OEM manufacturers of media centres with nearly all of them telling the software Company that they are set to move to Blu ray configured Media Centres within the next month.

Late last week US Media Centre maker Niveus dumped HD DVD in favour of Blu ray.

The Company VP of marketing Brian Paper said that Niveus had received support from Microsoft and Intel when implementing HD DVD. The format wasn't pushed on Niveus, he said, adding that the commitment in both Intel and Microsoft "isn't religious For HD DVD".

It will be interesting to see if this is true and for just how much the add on drive would cost. It is Smarthouse though. They have a 50/50 history with this stuff.

I could see this happening. It's not like their HD-DVD player is any use anymore. I think they'll either just back out completely and never mention the HD movie market again, or they'll make a BR add on.

Well, MS has said that if HD failed they would switch to Blu Ray. The only thing I would be iffy about on this is the timeframe. 3 months seems kind of soon to me. But I guess they could have been working on it as a backup plan for quite a while.

Probably in time to sync with WB going Blu-ray exclusive.

I see it going two ways, either MS goes with a Blu-Ray player or they focus on their download service. However they are going to have to give users the ability to BUY movies via the marketplace, not just rent them.

The Company VP of marketing Brian Peppers said that Niveus had received support from Microsoft and Intel when implementing HD DVD. The format wasn't pushed on Niveus, he said, adding that the commitment in both Intel and Microsoft "isn't religious For HD DVD".

Nooo, Brian!

brian_peppers1.jpg

You have beaten me good sir. I tip my hat to you.

LOL, good ol' Mentok. Still being a fruitcake.

Anyway, Microsoft is thinking about equipping future constructed XBOX360's with the BluRay drives instead of selling it as an add-on. This might lead into future games being released on Blu-Ray instead of DVD.

Which could satisfy Cliffy B, who would've made Gears of War a bigger game had MS put HD-DVD drives in the consoles. But I'm glad MS is changing to BR (if this is true).

So if 360 goes blu-ray, does that open up the possibility of MGS4 coming to xbox?

So if 360 goes blu-ray, does that open up the possibility of MGS4 coming to xbox?

A- The add on Blu-Ray movie player is still a rumor
B- The even less likely rumor of a BR drive being put into the 360 (Never going to happen, it would alienate every 360 owner) would have to be true for a blu ray game to play.
C- MGS is still owned by Kojima, Konami, and Sony... Which is why it isn't being ported in the first place.

So no, if there is a possibility that MGS will be ported to the Xbox, it has nothing to do with a BR drive.

seems like i will buy xbox 360 at right time.

LOL, good ol' Mentok. Still being a fruitcake.

Anyway, Microsoft is thinking about equipping future constructed XBOX360's with the BluRay drives instead of selling it as an add-on. This might lead into future games being released on Blu-Ray instead of DVD.
that will never happen. They cant have 360 games on BR bc MS didnt equip the system with it from the beginning. There are well over 15 million users who would be shut out and the backlash would be pretty big. Not to mention it would force them to go out and buy the BR drive which isnt a plausible option

A- The add on Blu-Ray movie player is still a rumor
B- The even less likely rumor of a BR drive being put into the 360 (Never going to happen, it would alienate every 360 owner) would have to be true for a blu ray game to play.
C- MGS is still owned by Kojima, Konami, and Sony... Which is why it isn't being ported in the first place.

So no, if there is a possibility that MGS will be ported to the Xbox, it has nothing to do with a BR drive.

Sony owns MGS:huh:

I see it going two ways, either MS goes with a Blu-Ray player or they focus on their download service. However they are going to have to give users the ability to BUY movies via the marketplace, not just rent them.
If the second happens, they need to figure out really fast how to bring movies for all Europe, or they will lose.
About the Blu-ray player, i can see that happening, MS always said they would do that if BR won the format war.
The bad was never for Microsoft, but for Sony, if the HD DVD format would have won.

Wow....

Can you say Playstation 3 wannabe?

All fanboyism aside, I’m not here to start a fight I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

I really find it pathetic how Microsoft has been playing this console war; I love how they are trying so hard to sell their product to a consumer like it’s on par with a Playstation 3.

First Microsoft goes with the white look, it looked like a great system but the sleek black shine of the Playstation 3 totally killed the Microsoft design. So what do they do? When they get wind that Sony's system was getting compliments for its sexy black color Microsoft puts out a new version of the console with a black color!

Honestly it gets better....

Playstation 3 gets praise for having a vast amount of memory, almost tripling Microsoft’s memory for the Playstation 3 if my friend is correct that it has only 20 GB of memory. So 360 comes out with a 120 GB console if I'm not mistaken, trying to out do Sony's memory.

But Sony doesn't care, sure they released the 80 GB but I don't think that was to counter the Xbox elite? Weren't they trying to live up to their first claim that Playstation 3 would have 120 GB of memory and although they came up short who cares, what can you do with 120 GB of memory?

Moving on

So then Microsoft is talking about how HD-DVD is in higher demand than Blu-Ray and that Blu-Ray will be a failure, jee who is making an add on for Blu-Ray installment? That’s a rhetorical question, but none the less, Microsoft.

There is a reason Sony has stayed on top of the video game industry, they are veterans and Microsoft are the rookies...yes Nintendo is outselling both but that’s not the case with the console wars, people like to see Sony and Microsoft going head to head its like seeing the good guy going up against the bad, as human beings its in our nature to be entertained when goliaths clash and here its no different.

Microsoft was cocky in the beginning, they thought that first year head start was going to make a difference but guess what...it didn't. Playstation 3 has already grabbed hold of the graphics bar where Microsoft has set it in about a year’s time while it took Xbox 360 to set it at that location for 2 years.

Sony has now taken control and is making sure to set that bar to new heights, just looking at the games coming out for Playstation 3. Microsoft is washed up now this generation; there are really no good titles to be looking forward to with Xbox 360. Halo 3 has come out although a good game it flopped and was not able to meet the bar the first one set.
It wasn’t really a system seller like Microsoft was hoping, that said all of the titles Microsoft was banking on for being hits kind of flopped too so really there are no good games coming to the Xbox 360.

But now its 2008 and Sony is holding all of the cards, they are coming out with Little Big Planet, Resistance 2 with 60 online multiplayer a feature that Xbox live has yet to match, Killzone 2 which looks phenomenal with a graphical feat. Not matched by any 360 game thus far. It also looks to be a killer app for the Playstation 3, not going to hype it though and say it’s the 2nd coming but I will give my opinion that the game looks promising.

With all of the evidence provided it shows that Microsoft’s head was a little to big going into battle and they are now paying the consequences for being a bunch of cocky a$$holes, but then again aren’t all big businesses? *Sony is not excluded from that statement*.

The Xbox 360 has fallen, and now they are trying to pick up the pieces by turning a new cheek and trying desperately to be something its not…a Playstation 3.

Mercy....
I don't even know where to start.

LIZARD, I'd better dissect this before someone verbally rips you to shreds.

Wow....

Can you say Playstation 3 wannabe?

Can Playstation 3 say Wii wannabe? Who can blame MS for going for a Blu-Ray player when HD DVD dies. It'd be dumb not to.

Note the next 2 things I bold and how they contradict...

All fanboyism aside, I’m not here to start a fight I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

I really find it pathetic how Microsoft has been playing this console war;

Yeah, that wasn't smart.

I love how they are trying so hard to sell their product to a consumer like it’s on par with a Playstation 3.

Okay I've got a PS3, but how is it not? At this point in the console war, its got more exclusives, and a bigger software line up, with most MP games being better on 360.

First Microsoft goes with the white look, it looked like a great system but the sleek black shine of the Playstation 3 totally killed the Microsoft design (LOL, take that MS! Opinions on the design shall smight thee! Console war winner right there.)

So what do they do? When they get wind that Sony's system was getting compliments for its sexy black color Microsoft puts out a new version of the console with a black color!

The 360 elitie? Dude... WHITE PS3! Didn't you get the memo? Well that's that point destroyed, not that it was even a good point considering you've just clamied MS are pathetic because of their choice in colour.

Honestly it gets better.... (Can't wait...)

Playstation 3 gets praise for having a vast amount of memory, almost tripling Microsoft’s memory for the Playstation 3 if my friend is correct that it has only 20 GB of memory. So 360 comes out with a 120 GB console if I'm not mistaken, trying to out do Sony's memory.

Meanwhile, PS3 had a 20GB version, and now their front runner is only a 40GB. They upgraded to 80GB too, what's wrong with MS trumping them there?

But Sony doesn't care, sure they released the 80 GB but I don't think that was to counter the Xbox elite? Weren't they trying to live up to their first claim that Playstation 3 would have 120 GB of memory and although they came up short who cares, what can you do with 120 GB of memory?

Well if Capcom keeps going the way their going with the PS3...

Moving on

So then Microsoft is talking about how HD-DVD is in higher demand than Blu-Ray and that Blu-Ray will be a failure, jee who is making an add on for Blu-Ray installment? That’s a rhetorical question, but none the less, Microsoft.

I fail to see what MS has done, that Sony wouldn't have done here. The fact is, Sony made you hand over a wad load of extra cash for that Blu-ray player, 360 owners have a choice at least. This is just business LIZARD, MS have gotta make HD DVD look good if they're supporting it.

There is a reason Sony has stayed on top of the video game industry, they are veterans and Microsoft are the rookies...yes Nintendo is outselling both but that’s not the case with the console wars, people like to see Sony and Microsoft going head to head its like seeing the good guy going up against the bad, as human beings its in our nature to be entertained when goliaths clash and here its no different.

What? Sony isn't anywhere near on top right now. 360 and Wii are dancing on it. It may catch up, but this statement is completely false. And while MS have an affordable, "extras optional" console, they're schooling the "veterans", Sony have embarrassed themselves time and time again so far this gen, leaving MS to lean back and laugh.

Microsoft was cocky in the beginning, they thought that first year head start was going to make a difference but guess what...it didn't. Playstation 3 has already grabbed hold of the graphics bar where Microsoft has set it in about a year’s time while it took Xbox 360 to set it at that location for 2 years.

Microsoft was cocky? "Playstation 3 will retail at 599 US dollars." oh and "Hey, here's the graphics for Killzone 2! They're real, honest!... not." MS have a right to be cocky imo.

Sony has now taken control and is making sure to set that bar to new heights, just looking at the games coming out for Playstation 3. Microsoft is washed up now this generation; there are really no good titles to be looking forward to with Xbox 360. Halo 3 has come out although a good game it flopped and was not able to meet the bar the first one set.
It wasn’t really a system seller like Microsoft was hoping, that said all of the titles Microsoft was banking on for being hits kind of flopped too so really there are no good games coming to the Xbox 360.

This is the worst paragraph so far. Halo 3 flopped? That's just plain lying. It did AMAZINGLY well for MS, urge to insult your stupidety rising at this point.

But now its 2008 and Sony is holding all of the cards, they are coming out with Little Big Planet, Resistance 2 with 60 online multiplayer a feature that Xbox live has yet to match, Killzone 2 which looks phenomenal with a graphical feat. Not matched by any 360 game thus far. It also looks to be a killer app for the Playstation 3, not going to hype it though and say it’s the 2nd coming but I will give my opinion that the game looks promising.

Not holding all the cards by a long shot. I don't need to list the other exclusives when MS has GTA4 EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. Enough to trump a lot of Sony's exclusives in terms of sales.

With all of the evidence provided it shows that Microsoft’s head was a little to big going into battle and they are now paying the consequences for being a bunch of cocky a$$holes, but then again aren’t all big businesses? *Sony is not excluded from that statement*.

Not excluded? They should be your fecking example mate, how arrogant they've been shadows MS easily.

The Xbox 360 has fallen, and now they are trying to pick up the pieces by turning a new cheek and trying desperately to be something its not…a Playstation 3.

*See above*... WRONG

Honestly, it was painful waiding through that. I never realized you were that much of a Sony fanboy. PS3 is going to be awesome in 08... but that post didn't help it any.

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

Lizard, you get the award for the most pathetic post of the day, congrats and it just gives bad name for Playstation fans.
BTW, great job Electro, you´re the man.

And, just for the record, the all "they are veterans and Microsoft are the rookies"....are you serious?
Have you ever heard about Windows??
Great, so, who are the the "rookies" now?

Hey TheIdiotFanBoyLizard#1 please go join The Sony Defense Force site & leave this site & other sites to real gamers please

Thank you for your cooperation

You should get banned or something for posting such a flame bait post in a section you have no business being in but to start a flame war with that type of post. Good job there & lets not forget fan boy that Sony is responsible for starting the format war not Microsoft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"