Bradley Cooper IS Rocket Raccoon

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Hyde, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

Yeah he's nice, right up until you make him mad and he claws/chews your face off.

2. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Well-Known Member

I dunno, he has a touch of that road-weary ironic look going on. Good choice I think.

3. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Try poaching his trashcan and you'll find out soon enough.

4. Pink Ranger

Pink Ranger Happy Mothers' Day

Now that Oreo's a model now, they have to start giving him cocaine and cigarettes.

5. cph9fa

cph9fa Well-Known Member

6. Joeyjojo72

I'd call that a bullet dodged but I doubt they ever considered giving rocket a cockney accent. And I know for a fact that gunn et al would neeeever use a video game or even a cartoon as a reference point for a cinematic property. Except for what NOT to do.

Kudos for putting the speculation to rest. Complaints are now being accepted on the Jason statham fan club website.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. Spider-Vader

Spider-Vader Mercin' & Workin'

Is this dissing video games & cartoons? Because video games & cartoons have gotten alot of comic things right that movies haven't. Look at Spider-Man, the Spectacular Spider-Man series is better than ANY Spidey movie. Or look at Batman, Batman: TAS & Batman: Arkham City are better representations of the comics than ANY of the movies.

8. Venomfan

Venomfan Well-Known Member

or what about the comics, where he had an english accent?

9. Decypher

Decypher Well-Known Member

Where is there an instance of it being an obvious cockney/british accent??

10. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

If you look at Rocket's earliest appearances it's pretty easy to imagine the dialogue he's given as being said in a U.K. accent, though not necessarily a cockney one. But the phrasing and word choice can easily be thought of as "British".

11. Decypher

Decypher Well-Known Member

I believe you but I am too lazy to dig through old comics to verify. Can you provide any direct quotes?

12. Joeyjojo72

The point is moot. The cinematic Rocket will have - as he should - an American accent. Now and forever. So get used to it.

13. Venomfan

[​IMG]

14. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

The speech patterns actually suggest a very upper-class, Etonian English accent, quite different from Cockney.

And looking at his speech patterns in the comics NOW, you could probably argue more for it suiting a rough Brooklyn or Boston accent than Cockney.

15. Joeyjojo72

That example proves my point. Obviously rocket was a work in progress at that point and his american creators decided to give him a very stereotypical British accent. You know this because of the obvious vocabulary idioms and grammar. Then quite abruptly rocket dropped the British accent (that dialogue is a cringeworthy muddle of tv and film inspired britishisms.) for an equally obvious - but more subtle and accurate - American accent.

Bottom line: if the creators wanted the fully "matured" rocket to have a British accent they would have continued to write his dialogue the way they did in the above panels - albeit in a more refined, less in your face manner. They didn't.

Furthermore, the Brits that revamped the Guardians recently, who could have written very good natural British speech for rocket without any effort at all, made a conscious effort NOT to do this.

Rocket - outside of his primordial first try - has a generic american accent in the comics and now in all live action versions going forward. End of discussion. Thank god.

Edit: exactly right Keyser. Eton via 1930's Hollywood. The furthest thing from Cockney. Or *shudder* Jason Statham.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  16. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Even if they did have to go the Cockney route, I'd have taken Ray Winstone over Jason Statham any day of the week.

17. Joeyjojo72

True dat.

18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

He's never been consistently written with an English or cockney accent. You don't hire Bradley Cooper to voice a role like this and make him speak in a cockney accent.

19. Venomfan

well what does an english persons dialogue look like? you can't tell the posters that right on this board are english because of the way they write can you? i mean they (and us colony people) spell words different than americans, but otherwise don't talk a whole lot different other than some specialty words or phrases. I guess they could have put effort into making the words look like they were pronounced by a cockney tho

20. Hyde

Hyde Ooga-Chaka

The English language has several different mannerisms. I can't really describe them (despite myself being English :woot:) but watch any clips of Only Fools and Horses on Youtube to get an idea of how cockney people would talk, and then "chavs" seem to have some whole other language although Rocky definitely would not speak like them :oldrazz:

21. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They couldn't really write the dialogue in comics like a cockney accent because some of it would be unreadable then, especially to Americans. Plus, since it was Americans writing the dialogue, they wouldn't be completely familiar with all the pronunciations.

For example, a cockney Brit might write "about" but would pronounce the word more like "abaht". And even that phonetic spelling doesn't fully capture the cockney sound. Also, it's difficult to phonetically spell some cockney pronunciations - eg "water" would be "war'er" with the "t" clipped or completely unpronounced. But "war'er" doesn't quite convey that pronunciation when read. I don't think Americans would have a clue what is being spoken either if they just see "war'er". Even a Brit would find that hard to read on a printed page.

22. Venomfan

ya i guess i would understand writing a cockney accent differently, but i find it slightly odd to write a characters dialogue with different spellings to make an accent obvious. It would be kind of annoying if you have that accent and to read dialogue that is all messed up to try and sound that way, when thats actually the normal way you say it. it makes it appear that the way it is being said is wrong since the spelling changes. Do they do this in the UK in regards to the american accent? as in write words to reflect the way it would sound coming from an american when that character is american

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  23. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

Just read GOTG Vol. 2 and 3.

RR's personality + Cooper = WIN

Can't wait

24. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

The Abnett/Lanning GOTG? Yeah, I can't wait to see what Gunn and Cooper have in store.

BTW, here's Bradley Cooper talking with Collider about the awesomeness that is Rocket, Zoe Saldana, Chris Pratt, and James Gunn. He seems really enthusiastic which is just great!

http://collider.com/rocket-raccoon-voice-accent-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

25. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They don't do that in the UK for American accents as far as I'm aware.

And in novels, it's actually easier to convey an accent. You wouldn't write in some funny phonetic spelling but would just write normally and state at the outset that the person spoke in a cockney accent. In a comic, unless someone else mentioned the person has a cockney accent, there's no way of telling with dialogue in a speech bubble.

I've seen comic writers write the dialogue with funny spellings before, but it does look weird. You couldn't have a whole comic like that but only maybe very short dialogue, because it is just grating to have to read it in a strange way.

For the lyrics to Skyfall, the chorus is written: "Let the sky fall, when it crumbles..." But Adele (Adehwl in cockney :hehe:) sings it as "Let the sky fow, when it crumbows..." I'm sure she might be offended if someone gave her a printed lyric sheet with that funny spelling just because she pronounces it that way with her cockney accent. :hehe: