Comics Brand New Day Discussion Thread

woahhhhh!!!...Jackpot's a member of the Initiative?.....please tell me she's not going to be showcased on ATI?...if I have to drop 2 Slott books in the same month I'll f$%^ing cry I swear!! :(

But then you'll miss all those "chesse-cake" shots of MJ/Jackpot's booty.:woot::whatever:

Well, as a HUSBAND and a FATHER,... it DOES annoy me, to say the least that Pete sacrificed his wife/future/love to the DEVIL to wipe out the reality and memory that he is married....and now on top of that, he is out "parusing" women....it IS ADULTRY to me, the way i see it.

I respect your opionion TMOB, as another long time collecter as myself...but this bothers me.

I mean...a divorce would have been better....it would have left NO grey area. Seriously, i am not a fan of divorce or how so many people use it as an easy out...but it would have been better, really, than THIS.

Now we've got this "no explanation magic wipe"....and Pete out DATING....because he doesn't KNOW he is MARRIED. Well, the fans know!!

I look at him, and i think, WHAT A SELFISH MORON, WHAT A DOPE, WHAT A LOSER.

Now mind you, i really HATE to feel that way. This is PETER PARKER, my favorite, childhood hero i grew up with, from the beginning. The reason i collect comics. I mean...i feel really bad and don't say these things i say lightly, honestly....i am torked....and sad.

This story feels like anightmare or bad joke out of control. And seeing it blantantly done, this splash page is like another slap in the face...from JQ or whomever ya want to say.

Well, the first pages of of Amazing Spider-Man #546 are up: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=92159514&blogID=343976793 And already on Alvaro's Comic Boards, there's comments about Peter committing adultery because of this:
bnd01.jpg
Oh, yeah, this going to go over REAL well.
Wow, that is just bad right there. :csad:

I get alot of vibes from the old Spidey comics with everything else that is in the Issue though, not including Jackpot. :up:

Well, as a HUSBAND and a FATHER,... it DOES annoy me, to say the least that Pete sacrificed his wife/future/love to the DEVIL to wipe out the reality and memory that he is married....and now on top of that, he is out "parusing" women....it IS ADULTRY to me, the way i see it.

I respect your opionion TMOB, as another long time collecter as myself...but this bothers me.

I mean...a divorce would have been better....it would have left NO grey area. Seriously, i am not a fan of divorce or how so many people use it as an easy out...but it would have been better, really, than THIS.

Now we've got this "no explanation magic wipe"....and Pete out DATING....because he doesn't KNOW he is MARRIED. Well, the fans know!!

I look at him, and i think, WHAT A SELFISH MORON, WHAT A DOPE, WHAT A LOSER.

Now mind you, i really HATE to feel that way. This is PETER PARKER, my favorite, childhood hero i grew up with, from the beginning. The reason i collect comics. I mean...i feel really bad and don't say these things i say lightly, honestly....i am torked....and sad.

This story feels like anightmare or bad joke out of control. And seeing it blantantly done, this splash page is like another slap in the face...from JQ or whomever ya want to say.

If he can't remember he's married I can't see how it can be viewed as adultry...he has no reason to believe he's anything but single.....but you are right as it pertains to everything else....

....when I was younger one of the key elements that made me a fan of spider-man wasn't that he was an everyman as people like to say...it was because I empathized with him.....the poor guy made a mistake as a kid that cost him his uncle's life....he did the right thing as a young man and still lost his first love......he spent the better part of 25 to 30 years being knocked down only to get right back up.....the true epitome of a hero...he bent but he never broke....

...the guy I've been reading since about Sins Past has been a complete an utter fool...a moron as you put it....it's your fault, it's my fault, it's kingpin's fault, it's Tony's fault, I'll unmask what could happen?,,,,,I'll kill the man who shot at Aunt May.."psyche"..Aunt may wants to die??...doesn't matter take my marriage anyway..

...I'd say he was a skrull but even the dumbest Skrull must have at least the common sense god saw fit to bestow on a shovel...*sigh*

Oh, i agree Norman, Pete isn't written to know he's married currently, ...or at any point in "time" (argh) ...but it feels that way (adultry) to me from MY angle.

And yeh, it was a believable mistake, the original, with Uncle Ben, that made you and I and others feel for Pete.

Selling your wife to the devil and then having him (Pete) out partying and kissing girls after throwing his wife and future to the curb, to say the least, is......just......i dunno the word.....dumb and annoying?? I don't feel positive towards Pete AT ALL. I feel like he is a total jerk type character now. Not the same feel at all.

And to see a grown guy with his elderly aunt that the devil saved telling him to WAKE UP AND GET A JOB.....??!!!! And waking up all old scruffy-faced asking for wheatcakes. WHAT THE...??

And next, MJ the superhero smashing thru windshields and all.

I feel like some 5 year old hi-jacked spidey comics and is going wild.

It feels nothing like spider-man, to me. I'm bewildered here, can't believe this is happening.

Oh, i agree Norman, Pete isn't written to know he's married currently, ...or at any point in "time" (argh) ...but it feels that way (adultry) to me from MY angle.

And yeh, it was a believable mistake, the original, with Uncle Ben, that made you and I and others feel for Pete.

Selling your wife to the devil and then having him (Pete) out partying and kissing girls after throwing his wife and future to the curb, to say the least, is......just......i dunno the word.....dumb and annoying?? I don't feel positive towards Pete AT ALL. I feel like he is a total jerk type character now. Not the same feel at all.

And to see a grown guy with his elderly aunt that the devil saved telling him to WAKE UP AND GET A JOB.....??!!!! And waking up all old scruffy-faced asking for wheatcakes. WHAT THE...??

And next, MJ the superhero smashing thru windshields and all.

I feel like some 5 year old hi-jacked spidey comics and is going wild.

It feels nothing like spider-man, to me. I'm bewildered here, can't believe this is happening.

Personally I just think it's time to move on, "The Other" saddened me, this garbage just serves to instill what I've been slowly realizing for some time now...this isn't my spider-man...hasn't been for quite some time....and Slott isn't going to change that, because he'd be replaced if he tried :)

I'm curious as to how long it will take for them to throw Harry back into the green suit....
Oh, I'm sure he'll be in a green suit at one point, but it'd be ore like green skin... and pointy ears... and the ability to shape shift... seriously.... Harry's a skrull. I bet.

What the hell is all of this adultery crap? Peter didn't just forget he was married, history was changed so that he was never married to begin with. He isn't cheating on anyone.

Anyway, the BND preview looks great. McNiven's art is excellent and Slott actually got a laugh out of me only a few pages in. I'm looking forward to it.

My impression of the preview is that the whole deja-vu vibe I'm getting is that this is very "Spider-Man 2" (which is good) combined with a desperate attempt to be "hip" (which is bad)--hence the whole bit of him "macking on the Ms. Girls-Gone-Wild" panel (which how much you wanna bet Harry Osborn invites Peter to go "clubbin'" with him and his new girlfriend Lily as a result?). It certainly isn't terrible, certainly has the "classic Spidey feel to it," but at the same time it comes across as desperate. And one question I have to ask Marvel is: So you REALLY felt that having Mephisto magically alter reality was the only way you could have told THIS? It would have worked just as well if Peter and MJ had divorced and everything in Avengers: Initative #7 stayed intact instead of the magically mindwiping nonsense that was One More Day.

But we'd still have to take in account of what happened that was so bad that Peter and MJ had to divorce?

Not making excuses, just want to know what could be so bad that they'd have to divorce, or hell separate?(sp) I mean, they've been through everything that wuld break a couple up, and have come back together each time. There's no way they wouldd break up now unless forced, and look what just happened. They were forced.

It would have worked just as well if Peter and MJ had divorced and everything in Avengers: Initative #7 stayed intact instead of the magically mindwiping nonsense that was One More Day.

I don't know why people continue to suggest divorce as an alternative. It's been said several times that a divorce leaves too much baggage and ages Peter (which is exactly what Marvel doesn't want).

I don't know why people continue to suggest divorce as an alternative. It's been said several times that a divorce leaves too much baggage and ages Peter (which is exactly what Marvel doesn't want).

And acting like an immature little baby who doesn't want to take responsability for his actions de-ages him.

At least the opposite is actually natural and makes sense.

COMICBOY said:
But we'd still have to take in account of what happened that was so bad that Peter and MJ had to divorce?

Not making excuses, just want to know what could be so bad that they'd have to divorce, or hell separate?(sp) I mean, they've been through everything that wuld break a couple up, and have come back together each time. There's no way they wouldd break up now unless forced, and look what just happened. They were forced.

Right, because based on the "new and improved" reality of BND that OMD makes, Peter and MJ were still a couple all this time, just not married. Which means, apparently, they were living together. The impression we are supposed to get here is that Peter and MJ had a big fight that resulted in him being kicked out of the apartment they shared which forced him to move back in with Aunt May and her "magically" restored house. Basically, it's essentially the same scenario as a divorce, but they're not calling it one.

I'm not saying that divorcing Peter and MJ is good, necessarily. But it's certainly better and more plausible than having a confusing "magical retcon courtesy of the devil" that we did get.

Baby May was murdered by Norman, have MJ and Peter find that out. MJ realeses that he will never be able to give her the life she deserves and divorce him.

Some would hate MJ but Peter and most readers would understand imo.

BTW when is BND out?

Those pages look decent actually.

Spider-Man as a character on the whole ABSOLUTELY needed a "crisis". Do I wish it never got that insane to begin with? You betcha. I haven't read a damn thing Spider-Man since Sins Past. I'll check out brand new day from afar to see if it's worth getting into, but it's still Quesada as EIC and that's just plain not Marvel comics. Spider-Man is at long last back where he needs to be, now let's sit back, grab some popcorn and see how long it takes til they mess this up royally.

Baby May was murdered by Norman, have MJ and Peter find that out. MJ realeses that he will never be able to give her the life she deserves and divorce him.

Some would hate MJ but Peter and most readers would understand imo.

BTW when is BND out?
Next week.whoo!! And i would also hate MJ if that **** happened.

Question: If OMD didn't f'up continuity then why are they saying that Spider-Man hasn't been seen in months in BND? Did they send Pete into the future?

Continuity continuity continuity....

Christ, the reason I'm actually (VERY CAUTIOUSLY) optimistic for a change is because they are ignoring 90% of this piece of garbage decade!

With iron spider and twins and totems and organic webs and god knows what the crap else, why wouldn't you be crying tears of joy he's back under the mask and with the gadgets!

Aside from Harry being alive and a minor detail or two, I could almost read Brand New Day directly after MJ walked away in the 2000 Annual!

Hmn....

Too bad Pete wasn't married in High school...or else he could've brought Ben back in Amazing Fantasy oh so long ago when i bought that. This mess just doesn't take me back to those days or anything "like" that feeling...imo.

This doesn't feel like Spidey at all....more like the "What-The?" marvel comics they used to put out...anyone remember those? The original series was quite funny.

No kidding. Why not throw Uncle Ben in on the Deal? Why not save May, Ben, Gwen, Jean DeWolf and make the Mets a winning team when dealing with Mephisto?

No kidding. Why not throw Uncle Ben in on the Deal? Why not save May, Ben, Gwen, Jean DeWolf and make the Mets a winning team when dealing with Mephisto?

I wouldn't care if the genie from Disney's Aladdin showed up and made the deal. I didn't read that stupid story anyway. What matters is where we're at now.

A mere month ago Spider-Man was dead to me, now he's at best coughing up blood.

Here's to a full recovery!

(which once again, MUST include getting Quesada the hell out of office)

Yes, that has been said many times... by Quesada, which obviously makes it true. :whatever:

I'm not saying that divorcing Peter and MJ is good, necessarily. But it's certainly better and more plausible than having a confusing "magical retcon courtesy of the devil" that we did get.

You're missing the point. Divorce or killing MJ off is baggage. If it's the former, then they'll have to explain why Peter is no longer married; if the latter, then they'll have Peter mourn her death and remember it (which is exactly what was happening before JMS came on board). Mephisto is a deus ex machina, there's no doubt about that, but it's a plot device that comes without baggage.

Is there something you don't get about this whole "deal with the devil" plot? Peter didn't summon Mephisto, Mephisto came to him. He offered the deal. It wasn't up to Peter to decide who gets saved.

Yes, that has been said many times... by Quesada, which obviously makes it true.

No, it's true because it's true. Hell, we've already seen it happen before Quesada even became EIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"