Comics Brand New Day Discussion Thread

Continuity continuity continuity....

Christ, the reason I'm actually (VERY CAUTIOUSLY) optimistic for a change is because they are ignoring 90% of this piece of garbage decade!

With iron spider and twins and totems and organic webs and god knows what the crap else, why wouldn't you be crying tears of joy he's back under the mask and with the gadgets!

Aside from Harry being alive and a minor detail or two, I could almost read Brand New Day directly after MJ walked away in the 2000 Annual!

Lol, you must not have been listening to Joephisto then. They aren't ignoring the past decade, it all still happened ("Book of Ezekiel", "Sins Past", "The Other") just select tidbits (webshooters, unmasking, Harry) have been altered for whatever reason. Remember: "It's magic, it doesn't need to be explained." :whatever:

You're missing the point. Divorce or killing MJ off is baggage. If it's the former, then they'll have to explain why Peter is no longer married; if the latter, then they'll have Peter mourn her death and remember it (which is exactly what was happening before JMS came on board). Mephisto is a deus ex machina, there's no doubt about that, but it's a plot device that comes without baggage.

First of all, I agree that killing MJ would have been a horrible, horrible idea--especially since they tried it before and it didn't work. But as for divorce meaning that you have too much to explain why Peter and MJ are no longer together? No, you don't have to explain much at all. All they would have to do is say that Peter and MJ divorced because the stress of her husband being Spider-Man became way too much. Period. The End. Move On. Plus, given how much the marriage is being called a "rush job" this could have been used to that advantage because Peter and MJ were "too young" to get married. Plus, it's not as if people who get married in their early 20s get divorced a few years later and no longer seen as young. Is it perfect? No, of course it's not. The reason is that one of them could end up looking bad--which is probably why it was REALLY never used rather than this business of "it makes Peter too old for the target demographic" BS Joe Q's been putting out. And basically, that's what Marvel did anyway, only they went with a ridiculous deus ex machina which, ironically, has made things even HARDER to explain as to why Peter and MJ are no longer married.

Lol, you must not have been listening to Joephisto then. They aren't ignoring the past decade, it all still happened ("Book of Ezekiel", "Sins Past", "The Other") just select tidbits (webshooters, unmasking, Harry) have been altered for whatever reason. Remember: "It's magic, it doesn't need to be explained." :whatever:

Sins Past and that totem crap can be ignored by simply not mentioning them unless you're a continuity psychopath.

The mask and the web shooters are VITAL.

Like I keep saying, cautiously optimistic. The instant Morlun comes back or Norman makes a snide comment about Gwen, or something like that. Boom, gone again. Otherwise it's just static.

You are so funny!

If you're not going to respond seriously, then don't respond at all. I'm not going to waste my time on someone as childish and immature as you. Go back to ruling Latveria or something.

No, you don't have to explain much at all. All they would have to do is say that Peter and MJ divorced because the stress of her husband being Spider-Man became way too much. Period. The End. Move On.

After 20 years, it all of a sudden became too unbearable? After being separated and losing their child, now MJ calls it quits? There have been too many stories of Peter and MJ facing some trial and overcoming it. bad place, every one of their stories as a married couple has been about persevering.

stillanerd said:
Plus, given how much the marriage is being called a "rush job" this could have been used to that advantage because Peter and MJ were "too young" to get married.

That might have worked 15-20 years ago, but between then and now they have undergone too much (including the aforementioned child) to suddenly realize that maybe they married too young.

Now that you've dictated how I should respond, I'll be very careful to follow your instructions. :)

After 20 years, it all of a sudden became too unbearable? After being separated and losing their child, now MJ calls it quits? There have been too many stories of Peter and MJ facing some trial and overcoming it. bad place, every one of their stories as a married couple has been about persevering.

Yet they can't overcome the death of Aunt May even though she accepted the responsibility for this fate when she convinced Peter to unmask and she already told him to let her go via Madame Web.

Yet they can't overcome the death of Aunt May even though she accepted the responsibility for this fate when she convinced Peter to unmask and she already told him to let her go via Madame Web.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. If your point is that the stress of Aunt May's death would break the marriage, then even that wouldn't work as Peter and MJ have already faced that before. :cwink:

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. If your point is that the stress of Aunt May's death would break the marriage, then even that wouldn't work as Peter and MJ have already faced that before. :cwink:

Nope, I was using your logic to show how stupid making a deal with the devil to save Aunt May was. The old bat should have died and Peter should've told Joephisto to sit on a pitchfork and rotate. :oldrazz:

anyone notice how It's funny how Joephisto is making the statement that Spidey's character cant have sex out of wedlock. needs to be a role model for kids yadadada...yet he's willing to let story's where his original true love cheated on him with a wrinkly old man named Norman...lol.

You know the creepiest part about the Gwen cheating story....The fact that she lied and cheated on Peter with Norman, meant that it was probably extreme. Like I watched that show Cheaters, and everytime someone cheats on the other person it's always like some absurd outcome. So Gwen's running away to europe and stuff kind of makes me wonder out of morbid curiosity...what they did.

Were clowns, midgets, lightbulbs, and pumpkin bombs involved?

Oh my. The preview got me. I'm forgetting about the OMD Peter raping already because of the damn preview. I really liked it!

[sarcasm]Wow, I'm so glad that Spider-Man is single! He could have never been down on his luck while he was married...or been with Alltell, for that matter! THe fact that he was unemployed and having friends just couldn't have happened while he was single!!![/sarcasm]

Seriously, the opening page is just a nut shot to the fans of the marriage and MJ. The rest of it could have been done with him still with MJ, and without Aunt May nagging him.

Yeah...and that preview is still not good enough to make me buy a book based upon the little idea that A SUPERHERO WOULD MAKE A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL TO GET RID OF HIS MARRIAGE TO SAVE HIS 90 YEAR OLD AUNT WHO TOLD HIM TO LET HER GO!!

As a house built on a poor foundation will fail, so shall it be with the Spider-books.

Dan Slott and Mcniven absolutely SOLD me on those preview pages of BND. As much as OMD mad be sad, I'm willing to put it behind and just enjoy this "new beginning". Besides, we all know Peter and MJ are destined to be together eventually, its not as if she's gone.

I wish you the best.

Goodbye, Spidey....hello Invincible.

[sarcasm]Wow, I'm so glad that Spider-Man is single! He could have never been down on his luck while he was married...or been with Alltell, for that matter! THe fact that he was unemployed and having friends just couldn't have happened while he was single!!![/sarcasm]

I think Quesada brought up a good point that if you allowed that kind of drama to enter Peter's life as a married man, it would make him look like the lousiest husband in the world.

I think Quesada brought up a good point that if you allowed that kind of drama to enter Peter's life as a married man, it would make him look like the lousiest husband in the world.

How can the drama of being unemployeed and having friends as a married man make someone the lousiest husband in the world? It's not like he would stay unemployed. :huh:

I think he meant the drama of other women in peter's life. You cant introduce anymore love interests without making peter look lousy. Remember the whole Jill Stacy love triangle back during Mackie's run?

BND previews look excellent! :up: Exactly what I was hoping for, hope they keep it up.

Sins Past and that totem crap can be ignored by simply not mentioning them unless you're a continuity psychopath.

The mask and the web shooters are VITAL.

Like I keep saying, cautiously optimistic. The instant Morlun comes back or Norman makes a snide comment about Gwen, or something like that. Boom, gone again. Otherwise it's just static.

I fail to see why someone would be optimistic about this. All the bad stories that have come out in the past few years (post clone saga) have happened under Joe Q's stay at Marvel. So basically we've had a lot of crappy stories while Joe Q was at Marvel. Now Joe Q has come up with a crappy story to erase some of the crap that's happened at Marvel. Why should we think that the future stories that will be told are going to be anything other then crap? Don't you see the trend? Joe Q interfering with Spidey = bad stories. I don't have any reason to expect anything else because that's all we've been getting.

Did everyone notice on page 5 of that preview that the one brief sighting they're refering to, playing on the video wall, is Spidey's encounter with Overdrive.

I always said "Swing Shift" would be in continuity. :spidey:

I think he meant the drama of other women in peter's life. You cant introduce anymore love interests without making peter look lousy. Remember the whole Jill Stacy love triangle back during Mackie's run?

Ah...thank you for clearing that up.

How can the drama of being unemployeed and having friends as a married man make someone the lousiest husband in the world? It's not like he would stay unemployed. :huh:

To say nothing of the fact that it would be consistent with the Parker "luck" (or lack thereof).

Oh, but I forgot this is little Joey Q we're talking about. He doesn't know the meaning of "consistent".

And that's pretty much the only story potential missing with a married Peter. Certainly not enough to make this mess justified.

I'm not saying have women grabbing at his jammies. The rest of it, though...that couls happen. Joe Q treats being married as the end of the story...and that's sad.

Thank goodness he can't destroy all the back issues from issue 260 onward...even if he did (whether he admits it or not) erase everything that happened in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"