Brandon's Sketches

Lilbanks96

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Brandon. I am 17 yrs old and kind of new to the sketching and art world. I have been viewing others works on here for a while now, and have decided to show you all some of my better drawings. I would love for you all to give me suggestions, constructive criticism.

Thanks, Brandon

Bane:

bane_sketch_by_lilbanks96-d5oxs6o.jpg

Gollum/Smeagol

smeagol_gollum_by_lilbanks96-d5oxsob.jpg

Gandalf

gandalf_by_lilbanks96-d5qcrj1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, my name is Brandon. I am 17 yrs old and kind of new to the sketching and art world. I have been viewing others works on here for a while now, and have decided to show you all some of my better drawings. I would love for you all to give me suggestions, constructive criticism.

Thanks, Brandon

Bane:

bane_sketch_by_lilbanks96-d5oxs6o.jpg

Gollum/Smeagol

smeagol_gollum_by_lilbanks96-d5oxsob.jpg

Gandalf

gandalf_by_lilbanks96-d5qcrj1.jpg

Hi Brandon,

I love to sketch and draw too. But I have stop sketching/drawing cause it requires and takes up a lot of my time and concentration. And I realise that after I finish sketching, there is nobody to appreciate or admire my drawings.

Your drawings are pretty good and impressive. I like the first two drawings, Bane and Gollum

I think you need to have more tone,shadings, textures for your drawings.

Right now, your drawings look very "flat" and 2D. With the correct amount of shading,tone, textures,and shadows, your drawings will come "alive" and look more 3D and more realistic.

Hope that helps.

I agree that my drawings are a bit flat and I admit that I am very inexperienced with things such as shading. I do think however out of all my sketches the Bane is the most impressive. This is probably due to me working the hardest on that. Thank you for the constructive criticism Filmboy. If anybody has any other tips I appreciate them.

More to come, Brandon

Lilbanks, ignore everything that Filmboy said.

Just continue doing what you are doing. The best way to learn to draw is to grab a pencil and paper and do line drawings until you are blue in the face. Don't think about tones or shadows or any of that stuff yet. You have a very, very good start here, and the use of references is smart. My advice to you would be to pay attention to your proportions and make sure they are dead accurate before you call a picture finished. Once you've nailed down the proportions, then you are free to play around with them to enhance the picture.

If you are serious about drawing, I would suggest doing exclusively line drawings based on photo refs, real life and some imagination for the next 2-3 to years. By that time you should have an extremely solid understanding of figure and form, and understanding the concepts of shadows and shading will be a piece of cake.

2-3 years may seem like a long time, but I've known artists that never bothered to take the time and really learn how to do line drawings, and ended up spending their adult life wrestling with their pictures and trying to make more realistic. The better your foundation, the easier everything else will be.

Thanks Keith! That is so encouraging. As you can see from the Gandalf sketch I could sure use some practice in the proportion area.

More to come!

A quick fix you could play around with is to bring your pics into Photoshop or painter and manipulate them in there to get the proportions right. It may be a cop-out, but it still helps to train your brain without having to endlessly erase a drawing and redo an area. Things like eyes and noses can be easy fixes in Photoshop.

Also, make sure to check your drawings in a mirror every so often to notice if things look unbalanced or wonky. Seeing them in reverse can make the mistakes pop much more.

Hi Brandon,

I guess I wasn't in a good position to give you professional advices. Sorry.

Keith V sounds like he's an expert in this area. Glad to have him helping you out.

Filmboy, I do disagree with keith about ignoring everything you said. I think shading, textures, etc. should be added. But maybe not quite yet, once I have proportions down I will add more and more, and help my drawings come alive like you said. Thank you for the advice.

Brandon

Here is a work in progress. This is based off of BTAS.

batman_work_in_progress_by_lilbanks96-d5qo6th.jpg

Brandon

Ok, as I get farther along I am thinking this one is a lost cause. I am not a huge fan of this drawing, but I will show ya'll anyway. Please give me some more suggestions if you wish.

btas_batman_by_lilbanks96-d5qo9hk.jpg

Thanks, Brandon

Superman I am working on..... I had a bit of a slip up on the first ab. Oh well.

superman_no_color_by_lilbanks96-d5qvhcc.jpg

Last edited:
I stuck with this one and added a bit more to it such as the blue shading... and I like how it turned out!

btas_batman2_by_lilbanks96-d5qvic7.jpg

really liking the batman piece, you got his face looking good, you are coming along great, just keep practicing and you'll get there.:)

Thanks B-man! I was looking in your thread and saw your batman, it looks awesome! I will keep practicing!

Mee that was tons of help thanks! More to come guys, thanks for supporting me!

Joker is coming along, I just wish I had more talent in the coloring department. Haha.

joker_by_lilbanks96-d5r9idw.jpg

Here is another Batman, not based off any of the movies or tv shows. This one is an original and I didn't use a reference. Lets see how this goes.

batman__by_lilbanks96-d5rkke5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"