Breast surgery - yay or nay?

Daisy, you never gave me that thing.... still want it?

Godzilla agrees with me. Kipobe, I already made my points very clear. I can't make them any clearer.

My logic is purely unfallable in this case.

Let me put it this way. If a woman is SO unhappy with her looks that she's willing to get breast implants, then in my opinion what she REALLY needs is a chat with some good friends and to see a counsellor.

If a woman wasn't horribly unhappy with herself, if she were intelligent, WHY WOULD SHE GET PLASTIC SURGERY?? She wouldn't!! End of story!!

Do not speak my name unless permitted.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/...hp/Survey_reveals_reasons_for_plastic_surgery

WASHINGTON, DC, United States (UPI) -- A new study of why people seek elective plastic-surgery procedures in the United States reveals that prospective patients come from all ages and income levels.

The study, called the first of its kind and sponsored by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, also found that people seek plastic surgery for a variety of personal reasons that seem to be unrelated to vanity.

The study polled 644 people considering plastic surgery within the next two years. It found 191 participants -- almost 30 percent -- reported average annual household incomes of less than $30,000. Another 41 percent reported annual incomes of $31,000 to $60,000, and 16 percent reported incomes between $61,000 and $90,000. Only 13 percent reported average household incomes of more than $90,000.

"It`s not just women over 50 with high incomes who are seriously considering procedures," said Dr. Walter Erhardt, chair of the ASPS Public Education Committee. "It`s the young mom next door, the waiter who served you coffee this morning, even your co-worker."

Regarding ages, 26 percent of respondents were between 18 and 29 years old, 38 percent were 30 to 49 and 36 percent were age 50 and older.

Eighty-one percent of respondents had not undergone plastic surgery previously, while 19 percent had undergone at least one cosmetic procedure.

In addition to the general survey, the study team conducted 60 interviews with people actively considering plastic surgery. All had sought information from the ASPS Physician Referral Service during the previous 18 months.

More than 40 percent of respondents said they had been considering plastic surgery for quite some time -- often for more than a year.

Most participants said they were interested in having plastic surgery to improve their appearance, but many also emphasized they were not motivated by vanity. Instead, they said they associated plastic surgery with improving a bothersome physical feature to overcome dissatisfaction and unhappiness with that feature.

About three-quarters of those interviewed said they wanted to gain physical benefits from having plastic surgery, such as improved appearance or becoming more active and feeling healthier. Approximately 70 percent reported emotional and psychological benefits such as increased happiness, self-esteem and self-confidence.

In addition, 45 percent -- more men than women -- said they expected social benefits from plastic surgery, including being more accepted and more attractive to others.

More than 85 percent of respondents said the benefits of plastic surgery far outweighed the risks. They said they thought the risks would be minimal -- as long as they researched the procedure properly and located a qualified plastic surgeon.

The study is published in the September issue of the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

E-mail: [email protected]

jag

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=27238

The Psychology Behind Cosmetic Surgery Decisions
view all opinions on this
write an opinion on this
Main Category: Cosmetic Medicine / Plastic Surgery News
Article Date: 11 Jul 2005 - 17:00pm (PDT)

Considering cosmetic surgery? An increasing number of women are opting for cosmetic surgery. In fact, in just 10 years' time, cosmetic surgery increased by more than 700 percent.

A tummy tuck here. An eyebrow lift there. For women with realistic expectations, cosmetic surgery can enhance body satisfaction, says the July issue of Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource. The key word is realistic. Women who are happy with their overall appearance but who seek cosmetic surgery to alter just one aspect of their body often find that cosmetic surgery meets their physical and emotional needs.

Body image dissatisfaction is often associated with decreased self-esteem, self-confidence and psychological well-being. These emotional and psychological issues cause some women to turn to cosmetic surgery. If women feel they need a new face, a thinner waistline or bigger breasts to be likable and to feel good about themselves, cosmetic surgery may not be the answer. In fact, some studies show that extensive cosmetic surgery may make psychological issues worse.

Before surgery, consider the emotional and psychological reasons for wanting cosmetic surgery and talk with your cosmetic surgery team to make sure it's right for you.

This is a highlight from the July issue of Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource. You may cite this publication as often as you wish. Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource attribution is required. Also, you may reprint up to four articles annually without cost. More frequent reprinting is allowed for a fee. Include the following subscription information as your editorial policies permit: Call toll free for subscription information, 800-876-8633, extension 9PK1.

Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource is published monthly to help women enjoy healthier, more productive lives. Revenue from subscriptions is used to support medical research at Mayo Clinic. To subscribe, please call 800-876-8633, extension 9PK1.

Mayo Clinic
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55902
United States
http://www.mayo.edu/news

jag

Hey jag, was it you I was speaking to about a video intro thing? I think it was about a year ago or so... :confused:

Godzilla2000 said:
I hate to say it but with implants I'll have to agree with him. I think getting implants just to say "LOOK AT ME!!!" is very selfish and dumb. You all do know these things have to be maintained regularly or they start to sag like old woman chest units on a 20 year old body. It's very expensive and really not worth IMHO. I think implants are only warranted for women who've had a breast removed from breast cancer.
I'm not going to try and get into some women's heads but you stated yourself you personally don't need them and I sensed a feeling of somewhat pride from you when you stated that. You're not a girl with double AA boobs who always felt insecure about them. Most of them don't do it so because they want attention they do it because they want to feel better about themselves. What's the harm in that?

kainedamo said:
If I'm so ignorant as some of you are now saying, if I'm so shallow, it shouldn't be very difficult to prove me wrong.

I simply wouldn't have very much respect for a woman that would do that to herself. And, she obviously doesn't have much respect for herself.

You honestly don't realize how hypocritical you're being, do you?

You say that any woman who has plastic surgery is either superficial or lacks self-esteem, which is basically judging the quality of a person based on their appearance.

Just a couple FYIs.

First, many (not all) plastic surgeons evaluate the mental health of their patients and the reason 'why' they want surgery. If the patient is depressed or thinks that 'if only they have this surgey, their life will be miraculously better', the surgeon won't do it. That's not to say that there aren't disreputable surgeons out there who will, but the majority don't. That therefore says that the majority of women who have plastic surgery don't have low self- esteerm. I guess they all must be 'superficial *****es'. :rolleyes:

Second, I've had two different plastic surgeries in the past 18 years. Neither were truly 'necessary' for me to live a good life. I was in no way 'unattractive' (nor did I believe myself to be unattractive) due to either, but my life was improved by both.

Kipobe said:
***another one. :hulk:
I am allowed my opinion, and I am not ashamed to admit that the thought of surgery terrifies me. I would rather die than let anyone knock me out, open me up and tinker around with my insides!......

http://www.beautynova.com/blog/?p=23

Why women get cosmetic surgery?
Filed under: Plastic surgery — Administrator @ 9:56 pm

“The reason why I need plastic surgery is because I have low self-esteem and because I’m on the market and I need a man,” 30-year-old Gena Horst tells the Washington Post.

Bartender Anne-Marie Mercier-Bouse, a 24-year old wants breast augmentation because her husband is pushing her. “He just likes fake,” she says in the same interview. “It’s so empowering,” Michelle Schnupp, a 30-year-old mother of three says. “It just changes your way of thinking in life. . . . It’s like you’re untouchable. Everybody wants you.” She got implants to get 34D size breasts. “It was the best thing I ever did in my life” — better than her marriage, her kids, everything, she says.

Most women that we have interviewed find that for whatever reasons, good or bad, they feel prettier and more confident. And it is no secret that a boost in confidence brings out other good qualities in a person. For instance, you can be more aggressive in going after things in life, you approach people with more confidence (and thus come across as more self assured and charming), and be more assertive. The change was internal. They did not always attract more (or better) men despite what Gena Horst thinks, but because of the change in their personality, they were able to go ahead in life.

Like makeup and style, cosmetic surgery will continue to be controversial. When Jane Fonda appears on the cover of Good Housekeeping with her wrinkles clearly visible (the photo was not airbrushed at her insistence), it is a big deal. But people forget that she has had plastic surgery in the past. Celebrities like her who have other things that help them (celebrity status, talent, money, or whatever else), but for an average Jane or Joe, plastic surgery can make a huge impact on how they feel about themselves.

jag

Daisy said:
First, many (not all) plastic surgeons evaluate the mental health of their patients and the reason 'why' they want surgery. If the patient is depressed or thinks that 'if only they have this surgey, their life will be miraculously better', the surgeon won't do it. That's not to say that there aren't disreputable surgeons out there who will, but the majority don't. That therefore says that the majority of women who have plastic surgery don't have low self- esteerm. I guess they all must be 'superficial *****es'. :rolleyes:

Where did you get this info?

Kipobe said:
Hey jag, was it you I was speaking to about a video intro thing? I think it was about a year ago or so... :confused:

Might have been. Refresh my memory?

jag

God I love me a good ol' KDown! I hate when I miss out on the meat of it though. :down

~†~§iX~†~ said:
I am allowed my opinion, and I am not ashamed to admit that the thought of surgery terrifies me. I would rather die than let anyone knock me out, open me up and tinker around with my insides!......
I just meant an old face... that's all.

Kipobe said:
Daisy, you never gave me that thing.... still want it?

I do. I just got wrapped up in something else. I'll get it to you soon.

Thanks. :)

boyscouT said:
Where did you get this info?

It's a topic that's discussed all the time in women's magazines like Self and Health (not so much Cosmo and Glamour). Also, as I pointed out, I've had plastic surgery twice.

jaguarr said:
Might have been. Refresh my memory?

jag
It was this flash animation thing you were putting together with some material I gave you(?) and it had some cartoon strips I had put together.

May've been Paradoxium... but I think he was gone by then. Either you or him... :confused:

Kipobe said:
I just meant an old face... that's all.
Oh sorry! I just saw how split the opinions in here earlier were and assumed...well, my bad...sorry!...

kainedamo said:
Godzilla agrees with me. Kipobe, I already made my points very clear. I can't make them any clearer.

Let me put it this way. If a woman is SO unhappy with her looks that she's willing to get breast implants, then in my opinion what she REALLY needs is a chat with some good friends and to see a counsellor.

If a woman wasn't horribly unhappy with herself, if she were intelligent, WHY WOULD SHE GET PLASTIC SURGERY?? She wouldn't!! End of story!!
I'm really not trying to come off mean here but seriously how many women have you known that you are making such broad generalizations abut the gender?

Kipobe said:
It was this flash animation thing you were putting together with some material I gave you(?) and it had some cartoon strips I had put together.

May've been Paradoxium... but I think he was gone by then. Either you or him... :confused:

That doesn't ring a bell. I think we may have talked about something like that at some point but it never went further than just kicking ideas around.

jag

~†~§iX~†~ said:
Oh sorry! I just saw how split the opinions in here earlier were and assumed...well, my bad...sorry!...
I remember always having to copy and paste your name if I wanted to address you other than quoting you.

Erzengel said:
I'm really not trying to come off mean here but seriously how many women have you known that you are making such broad generalizations abut the gender?
And I think we already know how many women he's known intimately, unless there was a precursor to Vicki, but I doubt it.

kainedamo said:

I really just agree that unless necessary it's kind of pointless other than to say "LOOK AT ME!!!"

kainedamo said:

Because while she's not horribly unhappy with herself, she's bothered by one feature. Because, while she's intelligent enough to know that having plastic surgery won't change her life dramatically, she realizes that not always obessing over that one feature will take that concern off her mind and she'll be freer to focus on other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"