Discussion: UK Politics

So, from the little I've seen, sounds like Brexit is going well. If you are a fan of Mad Max...

I just don’t know how you could look at all this and say “this was a good decision”.

I guess that’s the great thing about Uber patriotism. No need for facts, just believe everything will magically happen for you

Cairney has offered to stay on as Head of the Bank of England as Brexit gets settled, thank goodness. He is the only guy with an ounce of intelligence & stability in any of this. He saved our ass once already, now he's having to do it again.

Some good news on that front at least.

At this point I just want them to get on with it. I voted remain but the endless sniping from both remainers and leavers has left me and I suspect many others fed up. I don't think Brexit will be a disaster because there will people who have made some contingencies ahead of it despite what the media would have you believe. But it will be difficult initially of course. I think in the long run we'll be fine although in spite of not because of it. However, free movement and mass immigration are unsustainable and this was only inevitable. Whilst there were plenty of racist dog whistles blown and xenophobia/racism displayed. People's concerns about sudden changes to communities, pressure on services and impact on jobs/wages weren't listened to and a backlash was only going to manifest somehow. Let's at least be thankful it's been expressed through democracy and not mass violence or rioting (despite the horrendous killing of Jo Cox and incidents of racial abuse). As well, pretty much all the countries in Europe has seen a lurch to the right with their far right parties gaining bigger shares of the votes. Especially in France, Italy, Germany, Hungary and even in Sweden where they have the Sweden Democrats who've become more popular and this is all against the backdrop of mass migration. So Brexit shouldn't be seen in isolation but part of a wider trend. The solution really is to invest much more in foreign countries which the bulk of the migrants/refugees have come from. Until you stabilise matters in their countries (perhaps by starting with not bombing them) and develop their economies to nurture prosperity then they're only going to keep coming. I also won't be surprised if we see a few countries leave the EU like Italy or Hungary.

Last edited:
Italy is not stupid enough to leave the EU. Even their EU sceptic parties know that it would ruin Italy's economy. I would welcome Hungary leaving just to get Orban out.
The only good thing about Brexit is that there will be no more cherry picking by the Brits in the EU. Oh and that some of the polish workers might come to Germany. We can use them.
Suck for the Irish but who cares about a little terrorism in Northern Ireland when you can stick it to EU finally.

Italy also needs the EU waaaaay more than the UK does. So yeah...

Weird comparison. The UK supports the thing to a way greater extent than Italy does, and Italy reaps more benefits from the way it is now. There's less incentive for them to leave anyway.

So, from the little I've seen, sounds like Brexit is going well. If you are a fan of Mad Max...

Yet since we started the most worrying things for people have started to be addressed.

Astronomical house price rises of over 10% a year have flatlined. Making it more affordable to buy a home.n

Wage growth is now outstriping inflation.

Social networks are not being broken up with children having to move miles away from their parents.

Mostly because imigration has dropped.

We had over 100,000 children homless in the uk. 330,000 immigrants coming in every year with only 38,000 houses built a year.

Sure the rich got richer, but those at the bottom suffered. Stagnant wage, rising cost of living and those you relied on being shipped out. Complain? You're racist or a biggot. Then the media were shocked when people voted leave? Lol

If people want to know why the british public voted brexit, it was because they wanted more control of what was happening in their country and their lives.

Argue against as much as you want but the same is happening across europe just in different ways.

Same thing across the world. People are idiots.

Can someone please explain to me the arguments for the uk being in the eu? Non economical.

Well, I saw the potential a lack of food, with a bunch of talk about people should be buying extra to stock up.

The Ireland/N. Ireland border issue also looks to be stirring up those problems again.

Well, I saw the potential a lack of food, with a bunch of talk about people should be buying extra to stock up.

The Ireland/N. Ireland border issue also looks to be stirring up those problems again.

Ok, uk imports more than it exports from the eu (in value). Majority though are luxury goods, champage, proseco, french cheese etc...
Since the second world war most necessities are home grown, although we export some and get some wheat from russia.

Irish border will be a problem. It's been 400 years a problem. Merkel aint pulling a solution out of her nickers.

Oh well here’s one industry already suffering

[URL]https://www.wired.co.uk/article/brexit-danish-sperm-banks-imports[/url]

Brexit keeps surprising us. The latest industry that might be under threat if the UK leaves the EU without a deal is allegedly that of sperm donation. Specifically, Danish sperm donation.

The Department of Health and Social Care revealed last week that 3,000 sperm samples were imported from Denmark to the UK in the last year, and nightmare scenarios were quick to flourish. The risk of Danish sperm being held up at British borders because of unclear custom arrangements seems to have never been so real.

Can someone please explain to me the arguments for the uk being in the eu? Non economical.

Most of the benefits of being in the EU are economical. But free movement, single set of standards on all kind of items like food and safety regulations and stuff like roaming costs are all beneficial to the average person.
Oh yeah and not getting terrorism in NI would be a huge boon. Perhaps the people in NI will get their vote to leave the UK sooner rather than later. All in accordance to the good friday agreement that the UK will have to break anyway. With Brexit you can either have the Unionist unhappy or the Nationalists. Since you will get a hard border either way. The EU can't and won't have an open border witha third country that has no Norway or Switzerland style treaty with the EU.

I am still waiting for a Brexiteer to explain to me what laws he will be happy about getting revoked since EU dictatorship was so bad. Were there some stupid EU regulation? Sure but none of them were that harmful that i would call it a dictatorship. And before you even try to argue that EU officials are not elected. You are wrong. Every high ranking EU official was either elected by a EU vote or was send to work at the EU on behalve of an elected gourverment. Even the UK did send people to the EU.

Most of the benefits of being in the EU are economical. But free movement, single set of standards on all kind of items like food and safety regulations and stuff like roaming costs are all beneficial to the average person.
Oh yeah and not getting terrorism in NI would be a huge boon. Perhaps the people in NI will get their vote to leave the UK sooner rather than later. All in accordance to the good friday agreement that the UK will have to break anyway. With Brexit you can either have the Unionist unhappy or the Nationalists. Since you will get a hard border either way. The EU can't and won't have an open border witha third country that has no Norway or Switzerland style treaty with the EU.

I am still waiting for a Brexiteer to explain to me what laws he will be happy about getting revoked since EU dictatorship was so bad. Were there some stupid EU regulation? Sure but none of them were that harmful that i would call it a dictatorship. And before you even try to argue that EU officials are not elected. You are wrong. Every high ranking EU official was either elected by a EU vote or was send to work at the EU on behalve of an elected gourverment. Even the UK did send people to the EU.

The northern irish voted for brexit. The biggest causre of peace in northern ireland was 911. When americans that were funding the ira realised that terrorism wasn't fun.

Saying that eu officials were elected is the same as saying that the house of lords were elected. They weren't, not by voters. Emp's were that's why there were so many ukip members. Remember farage?

What laws would a brexiteer be happy to see revoked?
Free movement.
Fisheries.
Cap.
Being able to watch football on the same subscription.
Energy.
Trade.

The northern irish voted for brexit. The biggest causre of peace in northern ireland was 911. When americans that were funding the ira realised that terrorism wasn't fun.

Saying that eu officials were elected is the same as saying that the house of lords were elected. They weren't, not by voters. Emp's were that's why there were so many ukip members. Remember farage?

What laws would a brexiteer be happy to see revoked?
Free movement.
Fisheries.
Cap.
Being able to watch football on the same subscription.
Energy.
Trade.

Of course they are placed there either by election (Junker was elected by the EU parliament after those members were elected by us. And the commission mebers are designated by each member country of the EU. And all those goverments are elected by the people.
You really need to learn how the EU works.

NI voted to remain. 55.8 vs 44.2
Being able to watch Football on the same subscription? That one i don't get at all. Do you think the EU is reposible for the PL to sell their TV rights on a piecemeal basis?
Trade will be worse for the UK because of Brexit. Do you really think you can strike trade deals that are better than those that the EU was able to negotiate? Size matters.

Free Movement ok that was the main reason the UK voted for Brexit anyway.
I assume with fisheries you are talking about no other country being able to fish in your sea and set your own quotas?
What is Cap?
I am not fimiliar what impact the EU had on UK energy so i would like an explantion for that one.

Of course they are placed there either by election (Junker was elected by the EU parliament after those members were elected by us. And the commission mebers are designated by each member country of the EU. And all those goverments are elected by the people.
You really need to learn how the EU works.

NI voted to remain. 55.8 vs 44.2
Being able to watch Football on the same subscription? That one i don't get at all. Do you think the EU is reposible for the PL to sell their TV rights on a piecemeal basis?
Trade will be worse for the UK because of Brexit. Do you really think you can strike trade deals that are better than those that the EU was able to negotiate? Size matters.

Free Movement ok that was the main reason the UK voted for Brexit anyway.
I assume with fisheries you are talking about no other country being able to fish in your sea and set your own quotas?
What is Cap?
I am not fimiliar what impact the EU had on UK energy so i would like an explantion for that one.

My bad for some reason thought they voted to leave.

The Eu court said that football had to be broken up into packages.

Cap is the common argricultural policy.

The energy policy is partly meant to combat climate change which would be fine, but rather than subsidies for solar or wind etc... it chucks on (i think) about 20% to energy bills. It has led to some stupid play arounds by energy companies. I got sent 6 energy efficient light bulbs by my supplier. Which basically cost me £100.

I'm not going to convince you. Tbh i would have loved to remain but felt forced to vote leave as my life was getting worse. The problems could and should have been sorted by the british government but they didn't want to do what was needed to be done. So voted leave. Totally understand there will be pain for the next 5 years probably. But if you are already in pain a little more wont hurt. Sorry for others but they weren't listening when we were saying things were wrong so diddums.

From what I read Corbyn just chewed May up during questions and many Conservative MP's are suppodedsly wanting to oust May.

My bad for some reason thought they voted to leave.

The Eu court said that football had to be broken up into packages.

Cap is the common argricultural policy.

The energy policy is partly meant to combat climate change which would be fine, but rather than subsidies for solar or wind etc... it chucks on (i think) about 20% to energy bills. It has led to some stupid play arounds by energy companies. I got sent 6 energy efficient light bulbs by my supplier. Which basically cost me £100.

I'm not going to convince you. Tbh i would have loved to remain but felt forced to vote leave as my life was getting worse. The problems could and should have been sorted by the british government but they didn't want to do what was needed to be done. So voted leave. Totally understand there will be pain for the next 5 years probably. But if you are already in pain a little more wont hurt. Sorry for others but they weren't listening when we were saying things were wrong so diddums.

Oh you don't need to convice me at all. I am glad you are out. I hated the british cherry picking for as long as i knew about EU politics. It is a stupid decision on the british part but i am glad you made it.
We really need skilled workers and if some of those polish that would would like to kick out come here we would be very glad about that.

Oh you don't need to convice me at all. I am glad you are out. I hated the british cherry picking for as long as i knew about EU politics. It is a stupid decision on the british part but i am glad you made it.
We really need skilled workers and if some of those polish that would would like to kick out come here we would be very glad about that.

Good workers and good people, just make sure that your government doesn't make the same mistakes ours did. Build the houses hospitals and infrastructure for the increased population. Don't allow a gig economy that ignores workers rights. Make sure they are employed in your country so that their employers cannot pay less than the minimum wage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"