British people living in America

SpiderBat

Civilian
Reaction score
Anyone on here immigrated to the States from the UK? I just wanna know how difficult the whole process is. It's something that I have thought about for well over Seven years now, I think it's time to start doing something about it.

Also, how difficult/realistic would it be for someone outside America to land a retailing related job Stateside?

Last edited:
It shouldnt be difficult to get a retail job in the US at all. Its one of the few industries that is hiring. As long as you have all of the necessary documentation you should be fine.

As for the immigration process, I'm sure itisnt fun. Culture shock and all that. I work in a super market and we have an Englishwoman that visits our store semi frequently. A co-worker once asked her where she was from and she was from London. He asked how she liked it here and she said after 30 years, she hates it. Granted we live in the far Chicago suburbs, pretty different from London.

There are some key differences, you should keep in mind.

They drive on the other side of the road. So when you get there, be careful crossing the road (especially if you're jet lagged).

Americans use like four different, obsolete, unrelated systems of measurements (feet, inches, miles, and yards) simultaneously. So familiarize yourself with those.

Soda flows like running water, so you get free refills.

Oh, and a lift is called an elevator.

Crisps are called chips, chips are called "fries," the loo or toilet is a "washroom," a pram is a "baby carriage" or "stroller."

There is also little distinction between ales, stouts and lagers, unless you're at a fancy gastropub, it tends to all full under the umbrella group of "beer." You also never ask for a "pint," you just ask for a beer, on tap or in a bottle.

In England banana's are called yellow fatty beans.

Over here, we don't put gas in our water. We call it "soda water".

And a cigarette is just called a cigarette. Don't use the British slang for it, no matter who you talk to, it could start a fight.

A scone is called a biscuit.

A biscuit is called a cookie.

"Pudding" only refers to custard-like desserts.

A flat is an apartment.

Don't say you're planning to knock someone up unless you want to get them pregnant.

For the love of god, don't call a pencil eraser a rubber unless you want everyone to think you're some sort of sexual deviant.

And football is called soccer, only it is played by 12 year old girls, am I right?
Seriously though, the sooner I can get myself over there the better.

Don't use British humor, they'll pretend to get it- but they won't.

I dated a British Girl back in the late 70's. Her EX over in London was suppose to have been a "HELLS ANGEL" ........I could have sneezed and blown the guy over.
I could never get her to break the habit of calling a Cigarette a ***. lol Kind of embarising sometimes. lol

However attracted to you most people usually are, most Americans will be at least twice as taken in once you start to speak.

Better yet, emigrate to Canada instead. We have almost all the same things America has, with far less crime, and many will still understand what you're talking about most of the time.

But America is teh greatest. We have apple pie and Netflix that's not limited.:o

One main difference: in Canada, you pretty much have to go to a full-service sit-down restaurant to get a good hamburger.

One main difference: in Canada, you pretty much have to go to a full-service sit-down restaurant to get a good hamburger.

Not to mention, compared to my home here in Florida, Canada is really cold. I know, I lived near Niagra. And ooh, I just love that black ice!

But really, my personal favorite, them mounties, when they are in full dress! Magnificent.

To get back to the OP's question, it may depend on how you do it ie. green card, work visa, or just flat out move here. I lived in Japan for a year on a work visa. Do you know anybody in the States?

P.S. It's election year, and all the crap makes me wonder why anyone would want to come here :O

The part of Love, Actually with the British geek coming to the US. That totally works.

Better yet, emigrate to Canada instead. We have almost all the same things America has, with far less crime, and many will still understand what you're talking about most of the time.

Canada is essentially America's boring brother. America is the cool bad boy (who sometimes does idiotic things). And Canada is the model child, who patiently waited for independence, and still visits mom every Sunday.

Canada is essentially America's boring brother. America is the cool bad boy (who sometimes does idiotic things). And Canada is the model child, who patiently waited for independence, and still visits mom every Sunday.

The model child who carefully saves his allowance and doesn't end up owing trillions of dollars to the Wong family down the block. :oldrazz:

The model child who carefully saves his allowance and doesn't end up owing trillions of dollars to the Wong family down the block. :oldrazz:

But we do love Mr. Wongs takeout.:)

Oh and the Boot is th Trunk and the Bonnet is the hood.

Last edited:
British people also love to spell things wrong... "theatre", "centre" and "colour".... American English is much more phonetic. Some of us are even hooked on phonics!

I dated a British Girl back in the late 70's. Her EX over in London was suppose to have been a "HELLS ANGEL" ........I could have sneezed and blown the guy over.
I could never get her to break the habit of calling a Cigarette a ***. lol Kind of embarising sometimes. lol
Yeah, "our" hells Angels are usually just fat guys with ketchup stained leathers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"