British people living in America

And a cigarette is just called a cigarette. Don't use the British slang for it, no matter who you talk to, it could start a fight.
I imagine I'd be shot in Texas? :woo

And those 12 year old girls are known as Luton Town FC.
:woot:

Better yet, emigrate to Canada instead. We have almost all the same things America has, with far less crime, and many will still understand what you're talking about most of the time.
I have wanted to visit Vancouver for a long time.

But America is teh greatest. We have apple pie and Netflix that's not limited.:o
I love a good apple pie. It's just not the same over here.

To get back to the OP's question, it may depend on how you do it ie. green card, work visa, or just flat out move here. I lived in Japan for a year on a work visa. Do you know anybody in the States?

P.S. It's election year, and all the crap makes me wonder why anyone would want to come here :O

Yeah, I haven't decided what route I'm going to take yet. I guess I was waiting to hear the opinions of others who have already been through it. I don't know anybody who has moved to America and can't really claim to have any American friends.

However attracted to you most people usually are, most Americans will be at least twice as taken in once you start to speak.
....not to those of us who work at Renaissance Faires lol
I managed a shop one year, and we had a guy who was going to Colledge near by who was from outside London, and Thought it was funny that He left Britain only to go back in time to find a Job in Bristol during the 1500's lol

Last edited:
It shouldnt be difficult to get a retail job in the US at all. Its one of the few industries that is hiring. As long as you have all of the necessary documentation you should be fine.

As for the immigration process, I'm sure itisnt fun. Culture shock and all that. I work in a super market and we have an Englishwoman that visits our store semi frequently. A co-worker once asked her where she was from and she was from London. He asked how she liked it here and she said after 30 years, she hates it. Granted we live in the far Chicago suburbs, pretty different from London.
Good post, very helpful and informative. :up:

I don't really mind how long the immigration process takes, as long as everything goes fine I'm willing to play the waiting game.

Good post, very helpful and informative. :up:

I don't really mind how long the immigration process takes, as long as everything goes fine I'm willing to play the waiting game.

I have to ask: What makes you want to uproot your whole life and move halfway around the world? Jobs certainly are not easy to find and retail wont pay much. I've been at my store for 7 years and only make $12 or $13 an hour. That might, might get you a cheap apartment in the suburbs but no food, car, spending money, insurance, etc.

Anyone on here immigrated to the States from the UK? I just wanna know how difficult the whole process is. It's something that I have thought about for well over Seven years now, I think it's time to start doing something about it.

Also, how difficult/realistic would it be for someone outside America to land a retailing related job Stateside?

Play up your accent and you'll get laid like crazy, I can tell you that much.

I have to ask: What makes you want to uproot your whole life and move halfway around the world? Jobs certainly are not easy to find and retail wont pay much. I've been at my store for 7 years and only make $12 or $13 an hour. That might, might get you a cheap apartment in the suburbs but no food, car, spending money, insurance, etc.
I'm a single guy who's always loved America. That's pretty much it really. I have friends, a great family, job, etc... I've just always liked the idea of living in America. I assumed it was everyones dream but people say I'm crazy for wanting to leave behind the country I've spent 26 years in. I like a challenge and, to me, there is no bigger challenge.

Getting a well paying job will be a challenge without a college degree especially with you being an imigrant. But it can be done and i hope it works out for you if you do decide to come here. Good luck.

Play up your accent and you'll get laid like crazy, I can tell you that much.

Lol, so true, but it depends which accent you have and in what situation. If you sound like Jason Statham, you'll get a lot of blue-collar party girls, if you sound like Prince Charles, you'll get a lot of cosmopolitan and upper-class suburban girls, if you're a Scot or sound like Daniel Craig, you'll get a lot of intellectual, artsy girls and cougars.

If you're a Geordie, try your best to sound like Jason Statham. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
I'm a single guy who's always loved America. That's pretty much it really. I have friends, a great family, job, etc... I've just always liked the idea of living in America. I assumed it was everyones dream but people say I'm crazy for wanting to leave behind the country I've spent 26 years in. I like a challenge and, to me, there is no bigger challenge.

It's a pretty common thing to do, especially in the entertainment biz. If you make it over here, you're pretty much set for life. Actors and musicians can find good work in their original country, but everybody wants to break out in the states to get that notoriety.

I can understand that. I always wanted to travel to Germany and test the German I learned in high school. It was a thrill when I actually went and conversed with the natives. (Not perfectly but well enough to be understood.)

Spiderbat have you ever visited the U.S or spent a extened period of time there?

Just asking out of curiosity.

Spiderbat have you ever visited the U.S or spent a extened period of time there?

Just asking out of curiosity.
Yes, on multiple occasions. I once applied for a job coaching football/soccer over there but nothing came of it.

One main difference: in Canada, you pretty much have to go to a full-service sit-down restaurant to get a good hamburger.

One, this is worded to sound like a negative for Canada.
Two, it's true for America as well.

Lol, so true, but it depends which accent you have and in what situation. If you sound like Jason Statham, you'll get a lot of blue-collar party girls, if you sound like Prince Charles, you'll get a lot of cosmopolitan and upper-class suburban girls, if you're a Scot or sound like Daniel Craig, you'll get a lot of intellectual, artsy girls and cougars.

If you're a Geordie, try your best to sound like Jason Statham. :oldrazz:

Or do what I do and change it up for different situations.

Been here for a while..still miss Pork and Mince pies and Prawn cocktail skips. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"