Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Well, that's a first. :o

Personally, I can never get enough of the classic line-up with Jean, Storm, Rogue, Ice Man, etc. Movies without them just don't appeal as much to me. And I don't think I'm alone in that respect.

I feel the same.

the original trilogy was just a tease to me. I would be happy with at least one more movie, but if we had two more, I would be even happier :woot:

Id enjoy a FC series if they made the team bigger each sequel with characters like Polaris, Sunfire, followed by Cyclops, Jean and Storm.

But if they dont plan to use these 5 characters on the near future, then Id preffer X4 all day.

They could always bring in Sunfire and Polaris to the original series and those 2 could be two of the horsemen of Apocalypse if they are planning to adapt AOA in the movie. We already seen how Cyclops and Jean Grey met Professor X. The only one that they haven't shown yet is Storm and they could do that in DOFP.

I guess it's different for me because unlike many here I've never read the comic books so I have no pre-existing love for the characters. For me all the knowledge of the characters comes from the movies.

So from my point of view, Storm is just a bland character played by a bland actress. I can't say I feel any enthusiasm about her possible return, at least this version of the character. If they can re-cast and re-invent her, say as a reboot or a younger version, that's of course a different story.

Yeah, I didn't get anything interesting from Storm in X1 or X3. I felt like X2 started to develop her character interestingly through her relationship with Kurt but then X3 just jumped her status way ahead... All of a sudden Xavier was like "You're totally my fave, girly. Scott's all emo and stuff... It was always you Ororo!" "But Professor, shouldn't I have some kind of significant character development first to show I'm ready for responsibility or at least an interesting-" "DAMMIT ORORO, DO NOT QUESTION THIS!"

I guess it's different for me because unlike many here I've never read the comic books so I have no pre-existing love for the characters. For me all the knowledge of the characters comes from the movies.

So from my point of view, Storm is just a bland character played by a bland actress. I can't say I feel any enthusiasm about her possible return, at least this version of the character. If they can re-cast and re-invent her, say as a reboot or a younger version, that's of course a different story.

That's a valid point. But it is also valid to say that Storm is probably one of the top 2 or 3 most important X-Men characters of all time and shouldn't have been given the shortest of short straws in X1 and X2.

Take the Avengers for example. If you only knew the movies, none of the characters would be known to you. But then I think many comics fans would be pretty pissed if an Avengers movie had someone like Thor in it, and then left him in the background for the whole movie with no character development and no integral connection to the story. (This of course did not happen, as Thor was definitely not the star of the movie but very relevant to the story.)

That's a criticism of the movies, not the character.

If the films made her bland, that's down to the writing/directing and possibly casting.

X-Maniac said:
That's a criticism of the movies, not the character.

If the films made her bland, that's down to the writing/directing and possibly casting.

Yeah, that's exactly what he's saying.

I think it's a lot to do with casting.

Halle Berry to me seems the kind of actress who can really shine in smaller, low-key movies, but put her in a big blockbuster and she just turns into blandness. She's totally unconvincing as an action heroine, as well, no matter how hard they tried to turn her into one (Die Another Day, Catwoman).

storm needed an actress like angela basset who just comes across as far more intimating and strong especially her voice

but something that works in halle's defense is she hasn't really aged much since x1
1021-red-carpet-halle-berry1_328x500.jpg

I actually disagree. I think Berry looks more mature now, particularly in the face, and I think that can only help her, as Storm comes off as a more mature character.

I think it's a lot to do with casting.

Halle Berry to me seems the kind of actress who can really shine in smaller, low-key movies, but put her in a big blockbuster and she just turns into blandness. She's totally unconvincing as an action heroine, as well, no matter how hard they tried to turn her into one (Die Another Day, Catwoman).

I agree she's no good as an action heroine, she just doesn't have the 'oomph' and presence for it.

My favourite Storm scene in the films is when she challenges Logan in X1. He says: "Magneto's right, there's a war coming. Are you sure you're on the right side?" and she retorts with: "At least I've chosen a side."

It showed some confidence and presence of mind, without being forced like it was in X3.

There seem to be several options for Storm:

a) She dies off-screen protecting the school and students and is not in DoFP
b) Halle reprises role as futureStorm (possibly dies in battle against Sentinels)
c) New actress cast for futureStorm
d) Storm recruited in past, requiring recast for younger version.

Obviously, option D can still happen even if we also get either A, B or C.

I highly doubt Fox accepts to recast Halle.

They'll probably say: or Halle or none.

One thing it to recast a cameo or a really small role from previous movies, and another thing to recast the most famous female name of the franchise. The general audience would say: who is this new black actress? where is Halle Berry?

there will be many fans that could love the new choice, but as a marketing point of view, its a wrong decision. Fox wont be interested in promoting a new face like they did with Hugh and Halle during the whole trilogy.

I highly doubt Fox accepts to recast Halle.

They'll probably say: or Halle or none.

One thing it to recast a cameo or a really small role from previous movies, and another thing to recast the most famous female name of the franchise. The general audience would say: who is this new black actress? where is Halle Berry?

there will be many fans that could love the new choice, but as a marketing point of view, its a wrong decision. Fox wont be interested in promoting a new face like they did with Hugh and Halle during the whole trilogy.

For the futureStorm, I agree it's likely to be Halle or nothing, on the demand of Fox executives.

If Halle is wrapped up in her personal/domestic issues/changes, she may not be able to come back.

We could end up with a new Storm in 1973, though that seems a bit early for Storm to be in her 20s/30s. When Hugh appeared at Comic Con last summer, someone in the audience shouted at the stage about a new Storm and it seemed such a random comment that I wondered if it was true.

Christine Adams, Kerry Washington, Thandie Newton... or someone else altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if they considered Kelly Rowland or even Beyonce, as it was rumoured Janet Jackson was considered for Storm before Halle first got the part for X1 and MTV (God love 'em) suggested Rihanna for the part (lol).

Last edited:
Singer wouldnt cast a singer now of a sudden lol.

A reboot and recasts in 6 or 10 years its strong possibility, but its soon yet. Specially when they are reuniting the original cast.

Soon? Halle won't have been in an X-Men film for 7 years. It's not too soon to recast her at all, even with some of the original actors coming back.

you cant recast her it would be like recasting mia in fast and furious franchise

halle has bee a main character in 3 x men films

if you recast her then reboot whole franchise it would be too jarring for the audience

I do agree, in terms of the current time storyline, it would be bizarre to reunite Hugh, Ian, Patrick, Anna, Shawn, Ellen, possibly James and Famke... then have a new actress play Storm.

For better or worse, I fear we're stuck with Halle.

Not when she hasn't been in a movie for 6 years. If you can recast Rhodey between 2 movies with audiences being fine.

Storm Is not going to be In 1973.That Is too soon for her.Again people are wanting to make contunity problems worse.

Plus all those mentioned are In their 30's.There are all too old to young storm.And too young to play older storm.They aren't going to recast storm when the point Is having cast members from both trilogy and first Class In same film.

Not when she hasn't been in a movie for 6 years. If you can recast Rhodey between 2 movies with audiences being fine.
neither has mckellan

and comparing a recast after 1 film of a side character to recast after 3 to storm who is pretty much second in command to the x men behind cyclops

That's the character, not the actor. If they do the character right, she'd survive a recast anyway. If you have more faith in the actor than the character, that just proves WHY she should be recast.

i have no clue lol

people keep on complaining she is not storm from comics yet are all happy anna is back lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88