Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not neccessarily.

I think it's far more likely that they're using DAYS OF FUTURE PAST to bring a slightly more satisfying "ending" to the original X-Men.

I don't expect to see an X4. I think DAYS OF FUTURE PAST will be their last hurrah. I'd love to see an X4, with Scott, Jean, Storm, etc, but I just don't think it's very likely. The original cast is ten years older, and most of them have some semblance of a career. Getting them all back together longterm for an X4 would be a tall order, which is probably why we didn't see an X4 in the first place.

What we'll probably see moving forward is DOFP, one more FIRST CLASS-era film that seeks to tie it to the original franchise in a sense, and then an eventual reboot of some kind.

I think a reboot is more likely than anything, to tell you the truth. This series has run its course, especially with Hugh Jackman as the lead actor.

[blackout]Patrick Stewart is still such a hot daddy to me. Lord! :hrt:[/blackout]

End gay moment. :oldrazz:

Minus his neck. He looks really good for a 70 something guy.

Prediction Time:

They aren't going back to develop a First Class trilogy after Days Of Future Past. The fact that they've inserted the original class in this upcoming film makes going backwards for an exclusive First Class sequel completely redundant. It effectively will take moviegoers' minds off of whatever momentum could've come from that. It's almost a distraction--and one that many will receive warmly.

First Class will be a standalone film, mark my words. It's a reset button, nothing more.

Yeah I agree.

Consider: If FOX truly wanted a full-fledged First Class trilogy, they'd be doing it NOW. But instead they going right back to their main priority--the original cast/trilogy. Why else do you think the First Class cast members are being asked to basically skootch over and make room a far greater storyline? For s***s and giggles? :funny:

And if the original cast/trilogy is their priority, why are they then asked to share time with those new First Classers? With Singer pretty much confirming that the majority of the film is taking place in the 70s, not the future, with those supposedly higher priority cast members?

In other words, the lameness of X3 didn't just "happen" overnight or because audiences were tiring of the original cast. It was handicapped during production and the rest is history.

Well, whatever was originally intended, X3 came out looking like a conclusion of the original series and I think that the general public sees it as such.

I don't know what's going to happen after DoFP, but I very much doubt that the series will go back to the original characters. I think a full-on reboot with younger actors is far more likely.

Well, whatever was originally intended, X3 came out looking like a conclusion of the original series and I think that the general public sees it as such.

Some movie franchises are like that. Look at Pirates of the Caribbean, the third movie felt like it was the last one. But it didn't stop Disney for making a 4th movie and now they are about to make the 5th movie.

I also noticed a lot of film series took a break after the third movie was released. And for some, instead of making a 4th movie (a direct sequel to the 3rd movie), they released a spin-off movie or a TV show.

The X-Men series is exactly like the other movie franchises out there. But the unique thing about this series is FOX already managed to release 2 spin-off movies and in July, it will be 3. Then next year, they will release a cross-over movie.

There's always a possibility of making a X-Men 4 movie. The general public probably just don't see it right now simply because FOX haven't greenlighted the movie yet. But once they started filming the movie and the trailer came out in public, things will change.

Minus his neck. He looks really good for a 70 something guy.

You'd have to turn the lights out to deal with the neck. :csad:

Mrs. Vimes said:
And if the original cast/trilogy is their priority, why are they then asked to share time with those new First Classers? With Singer pretty much confirming that the majority of the film is taking place in the 70s, not the future, with those supposedly higher priority cast members?

*sigh*

Okay. ;)

Let's look at the facts, shall we? Members of the original cast are playing the roles of time travelers and as a result of that mission, they will be interacting with the First Classers.

So however you choose to slice it or dice it, Days Of Future Past is following the adventures of the original cast (Logan, Xavier, Kitty, etc.,) to prevent past events that will effect their future demise. The First Class is along for the ride because they are in the past which is where history needs to be corrected. At the end of the day it is still about the future post-X3.

I love you Mrs. Vimes (you make the most thoughtful posts evar!), but you do realize this is a battle you cannot win, right? LOL :cool:

Last edited:
Some movie franchises are like that. Look at Pirates of the Caribbean, the third movie felt like it was the last one. But it didn't stop Disney for making a 4th movie and now they are about to make the 5th movie.

I also noticed a lot of film series took a break after the third movie was released. And for some, instead of making a 4th movie (a direct sequel to the 3rd movie), they released a spin-off movie or a TV show.

The X-Men series is exactly like the other movie franchises out there. But the unique thing about this series is FOX already managed to release 2 spin-off movies and in July, it will be 3. Then next year, they will release a cross-over movie.

There's always a possibility of making a X-Men 4 movie. The general public probably just don't see it right now simply because FOX haven't greenlighted the movie yet. But once they started filming the movie and the trailer came out in public, things will change.
totally agree.

have just finished the trilogy back to back for the very first time.

Some cool moments on each of them, but this cast DESERVES another sequel to shine, at least a final one.

Bryan and Lauren are having discussions about the future, so I 'pray' Bryan see the potential of X4 the same as Lauren and some of us.

It would be epic, with Singer directing and team action all together for the very first time.

X3 was just 6 x-men on battle, its time for the FULL team. Wake up Fox. As Millar said, you have a jewel, its time to use it

As Millar said, you have a jewel, its time to use it

And fast. Like The Guard said, the original cast members aren't getting any younger.

Although I am personally VERY ready for a complete reboot.

I'm not sure I am ready for a reboot...it all depends how DOFP does...

I think if DOFP ends up very well at the box-office and became as the most successful X-Men movie to date, I think a reboot as the next step would be a big mistake. They just reignited the series with DOFP with the original cast appearing in the movie. They should keep the momentum by making sequels to DOFP.

If they reboot the series, they are gonna start from scratch again, reintroduce of all the characters and people would just compare it to the original series. Look at what happened to Amazing Spider-Man. Plus it would take several years again to establish a strong film series.

X4 is a must. plain and simple

FC series can continue whenever they can, but its the perfect moment for X4.

I bet you all, once we leave the theatre after watching DOFP, most of us will be soooo excited after seen Wolverine, Rogue, Kitty, Iceman and co. fighting the sentinels. And Im sure most of us will want to see even more stuff like that.

And if Cyclops and/or Jean appear at the end, man.... we all will be acting like crazy on this board, lol

its too huge of a tease to leave it like that.

Meh, I'm over X4 to be very honest. I mean, yeah it'd be great to see but...meh. I feel like that ship has sailed. Their moment to do that should've been immediately after XOW. Instead they wasted time with First Class and it's all hackneyed now.

Besides, I don't want to see another X-film with Logan as the main character. I am truly sick of Hugh Jackman (God love him!). He is like the Beyonce of this franchise and the oversaturation is just too much now. Like X-Maniac said, it's basically become Hugh Jackman Featuring Mutant Wallpaper. :rolleyes:

I would crave to see a series where SCOTT is the main man, with Storm and others stepping up to the plate. Not that I don't want Logan in the picture--it's not X-Men without him--but he needs to take several seats right now. LOL :cool:

Fox will never give his ash a time-out though. Marvel would however.

I think there's a way to do a X4/X5 movie without Hugh Jackman being the center of the attention. It all depends on the writing. They are gonna need Wolverine/Hugh Jackman to help sell the movie but he doesn't have to be the most important character in the story and the one that has the most amount of screentime. Who knows Storm could be the leading character of the next trilogy and after that trilogy, they would release a spin-off movie, X-Men Origins: Storm.

I think there's a way to do a X4/X5 movie without Hugh Jackman being the center of the attention. It all depends on the writing. They are gonna need Wolverine/Hugh Jackman to help sell the movie but he doesn't have to be the most important character in the story and the one that has the most amount of screentime. Who knows Storm could be the leading character of the next trilogy and after that trilogy, they would release a spin-off movie, X-Men Origins: Storm.

With Halle Berry as Storm? No. :csad: The trilogy could never sustain itself with her as the lead.

Then they could resurrect Cyclops and bring in Mr. Sinister as to reason why he disappeared. With that storyline, Cyclops could be the focus of the movie and since its his comeback movie, it would be the perfect timing for him to truly lead the X-Men. The possibilities for stories are endless. I don't think a reboot is needed just so it wouldn't be the Wolverine show again.

And if FOX was able to release a film without Wolverine/Hugh Jackman as a major character. Who's to say that they can't include Wolverine in the picture without him camera-hogging and stealing everyone's screentime. Maybe it was the case before, but like others said here, Tom Rothman is no longer the head of FOX.

Last edited:
Meh, I'm over X4 to be very honest. I mean, yeah it'd be great to see but...meh. I feel like that ship has sailed. Their moment to do that should've been immediately after XOW. Instead they wasted time with First Class and it's all hackneyed now.

Besides, I don't want to see another X-film with Logan as the main character. I am truly sick of Hugh Jackman (God love him!). He is like the Beyonce of this franchise and the oversaturation is just too much now. Like X-Maniac said, it's basically become Hugh Jackman Featuring Mutant Wallpaper. :rolleyes:

I would crave to see a series where SCOTT is the main man, with Storm and others stepping up to the plate. Not that I don't want Logan in the picture--it's not X-Men without him--but he needs to take several seats right now. LOL :cool:

Fox will never give his ash a time-out though. Marvel would however.

"Take several seats", lmao. You sound like a poster from the lipstickalley forums.

Personally I think a total reboot would feel wierd at this point. I rather them recast a few roles, if necessary, than erase it all. If getting back actors would be the problem, or if they are getting too old. They could also just write them out, plenty of cool mutants out there that hasn't been used yet.

I think they will go from DOFP and look for spin-off kind of films, where maybe not all of the cast has to be present in every movie. Like if Cyke and Jean is back at the end of DOFP, maybe they will go and make an X-Factor movie. I also see potential solo movies in characters like Gambit and Deadpool. A third First Class movie is also a big possibility. All in all there are many ways to go after DOFP without rebooting.

In my opinion, they should just go back to the original series. I feel like with every spin-off movie that they release, the general public's interest with X-Men movies gets lesser and lesser. Are movies like the New Mutants, X-Factor, Deadpool, Gambit really gonna appeal to the general public and rival the success of the other big movie franchises out there? I don't think so.

I think DOFP will reset the timeline allowing for them to do what they want with new characters. They could then recast a Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, etc and do what they want now. I would imagine they would hold off on recasting Wolverine but would move into the 80s and show young Cyclops, Storm, and Jean. I would really like to see an Apocalypse movie he would be great on the screen.

Let's look at the facts, shall we? Members of the original cast are playing the roles of time travelers and as a result of that mission, they will be interacting with the First Classers.

So however you choose to slice it or dice it, Days Of Future Past is following the adventures of the original cast (Logan, Xavier, Kitty, etc.,) to prevent past events that will effect their future demise. The First Class is along for the ride because they are in the past which is where history needs to be corrected. At the end of the day it is still about the future post-X3.

Well, I definitely can't say that it couldn't well turn out that way, especially if they follow the comic book storyline closely. But forgive me, unless you happened to have read the script it's not a fact yet that this is how the film will be structured. There was no word whatsoever on how the time travel will be achieved and whether there will be multiple time-travellers - even the original comic book story only had one, Kitty.

And with the likes of Jennifer Lawrence in the FC cast, there's no way she's going to be there just along for the ride and only pop up when it's time for the X-Men to stop the Brotherhood.

Last edited:
A reboot would make no sense. Not after First Class which was arguably a partial reboot and then DoFP which will essentially marry the two versions of X-men films. To reboot after that would render the last two films a massive waste of time.

I would like to see sequels for both casts. If not as separate sequels then then maybe members of both casts could be utilised now and then in sequels. I wouldn't mind an Age of Apocalypse which could use both casts, but I wouldn't expect that anytime soon. I don't think it would be too likely off the back of DoFP.

The First Class is along for the ride because they are in the past which is where history needs to be corrected.

What? Wouldn't that put the FC characters in the driver seat? How can they be "along for the ride" when its young Erik/Brotherhood which likely causes the dystopian future and its going to be young Charles/X-Men who try and save the day? Come on now.

I think what Lightning Strykez! is saying is that if the movie is centred around the efforts of the future!X-Men to prevent the Sentinel future, the FC characters will essentially be more like helpers (young!Charles and his team) or obstacles (Magneto/Brotherhood), rather than the main figures who the story belongs to. It all depends on what perspective(s) they choose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"