Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is still a lot of untapped potential in the prequel concept of First Class. I think that another First Class movie could be both great and succesful. Set it in the 80s, add young Storm, Cyclops and Jean to the mix and voila you have a damn interesting line-up.

And the First Class cast really deserves another movie for themselves. I want to see Fassbender's Magneto lead Brotherhood and make his first big strike against humans. I also want to see McAvoy's Xavier take a young Cyclops under his wings as the official field leader of X-Men. And more!

that should be a stand alone first class sequel set after this one. There should.simultaneously be an "X4" featuring Cyclops and jean as leads vs sinister with gambit. And a FF film all building up apocalyse. Each movie can have its own plot and villain but it should lead into another cross over movie age of apocalyse.

a x-men movie with Cyclops, Gambit, Jean and co. would be really special
a clear nod to 90's tv show and comics
if Fox was really smart.... they would do it really soon

And if it's a new timeline, we can say goodbye to Rogue iceman and hello to rogue and gambit!

And if it's a new timeline, we can say goodbye to Rogue iceman and hello to rogue and gambit!
tumblr_inline_mhozfpuBPU1qz4rgp.gif

New timeline or not, I still don't want all of X1 an 2 erased.

Ehn... all the (explicitly canon) X-Men romances are pretty boring either way IMHO and I really hope they keep it to a minimum in the movies. I usually enjoy a well-done romance but so far nothing in X-Men has won me over. And after having to suffer through the horrible W/J/S love triangle in the first two movies, I think they should err on the side of keeping romance out of it. I'm already worried that they're going to try and make Mystique/Magneto a thing. Which would be 10 kinds of awful.

I like Gambit but they screwed him up so badly in XOW I'm not sure we can get a do-over on that one. Or if XOW is part of movie canon or if we're leaving it behind. If it's canon, Gambit's got at least 20-25 years on Rogue. If the "futureverse" is somewhat reflective of "realtime", Rogue will be what, 30ish? That would make Gambit 50-55. Not quite the sexy romance some might be hoping for. I know she had a thing with Magneto in the comics but I don't think the age gap would be as well received on film by regular audiences.

New timeline or not, I still don't want all of X1 an 2 erased.

They exist on film.

Star Trek '09 did "erase" all that existed before it.

:word: Can't wait for that X-film one day where they are free to go back to traditional comic events.

Ehn... all the (explicitly canon) X-Men romances are pretty boring either way IMHO and I really hope they keep it to a minimum in the movies. I usually enjoy a well-done romance but so far nothing in X-Men has won me over. And after having to suffer through the horrible W/J/S love triangle in the first two movies, I think they should err on the side of keeping romance out of it. I'm already worried that they're going to try and make Mystique/Magneto a thing. Which would be 10 kinds of awful.

I like Gambit but they screwed him up so badly in XOW I'm not sure we can get a do-over on that one. Or if XOW is part of movie canon or if we're leaving it behind. If it's canon, Gambit's got at least 20-25 years on Rogue. If the "futureverse" is somewhat reflective of "realtime", Rogue will be what, 30ish? That would make Gambit 50-55. Not quite the sexy romance some might be hoping for. I know she had a thing with Magneto in the comics but I don't think the age gap would be as well received on film by regular audiences.

I agree. There isn't much room for romances in these films. And the Wolverine/Jean thing has been done to death now. I'm fed up with Logan's trousers twitching every time he sees Jean Grey. Just get a room or get outta there! lol

It'd be nice to see Storm find some lovin' but Forge doesn't seem likely, and Black Panther seems totally impossible. It would nice to see her have some feelings for someone though. But since they can't even get her right when she's on her own, it doesn't bode well.

The cheapness of Fox was reason they hasn't been an X4 Immedetly after Last Stand.
Or maybe we should say the cheapness of Tom Rothman.All the money spent on Last Stand was because he was desperate to beat Superman Returns to theatres.

There Is 2 possibiltys for end of DOFP

1:All other films besides First Class and 1973 part of DOFP are erased.Thus ending of 1973 part of DOFP Is starting point for future films
2:Time traveler returns to future at end of film to discover not only future with sentinles
has been prevented but some other parts of history has been Changed(Allowing Bryan to
as he called It correct parts of films he wasn't Involved In)

I think what Lightning Strykez! is saying is that if the movie is centred around the efforts of the future!X-Men to prevent the Sentinel future, the FC characters will essentially be more like helpers (young!Charles and his team) or obstacles (Magneto/Brotherhood), rather than the main figures who the story belongs to. It all depends on what perspective(s) they choose.

I can't imagine them not using the perspectives of young Charles and young Erik. Especially coming off of FC, that would make absolutely zero sense. The 70's portion of this film is going to be, primarily, about Erik & Charles's respective missions. And it will be told through them IMO. Obviously, that's not to say that there wont be other perspectives. The villain, someone is going to need to anchor the future sequences(probably Wolverine), and the time traveler will be the other character's in which this story is told through. But to say that the characters from FC will be "along for the ride" that is just a total joke. That kind of sentiment shows a lack of respect for the strong actors and their characters, whom we were just introduced to in XMFC. Can you really see Fassender and his character taking a back seat to anyone in the 70's time period? Because I can't.

I still can't believe Spider-man got a reboot, while X-men didn't and was in much worse shape.

I can't imagine them not using the perspectives of young Charles and young Erik. Especially coming off of FC, that would make absolutely zero sense. The 70's portion of this film is going to be, primarily, about Erik & Charles's respective missions. And it will be told through them IMO. Obviously, that's not to say that there wont be other perspectives. The villain, someone is going to need to anchor the future sequences(probably Wolverine), and the time traveler will be the other character's in which this story is told through. But to say that the characters from FC will be "along for the ride" that is just a total joke. That kind of sentiment shows a lack of respect for the strong actors and their characters, whom we were just introduced to in XMFC. Can you really see Fassender and his character taking a back seat to anyone in the 70's time period? Because I can't.

Thank you. It's amazing how the love and support for the 60's X-Men and First Class has all but evaporated with the announcement of the old cast and old director's return.

I agree. There isn't much room for romances in these films. And the Wolverine/Jean thing has been done to death now. I'm fed up with Logan's trousers twitching every time he sees Jean Grey. Just get a room or get outta there! lol

It'd be nice to see Storm find some lovin' but Forge doesn't seem likely, and Black Panther seems totally impossible. It would nice to see her have some feelings for someone though. But since they can't even get her right when she's on her own, it doesn't bode well.

This made me laugh so hard. What a fantastic expression!!!

Last edited:
I can't imagine them not using the perspectives of young Charles and young Erik. Especially coming off of FC, that would make absolutely zero sense. The 70's portion of this film is going to be, primarily, about Erik & Charles's respective missions. And it will be told through them IMO. Obviously, that's not to say that there wont be other perspectives. The villain, someone is going to need to anchor the future sequences(probably Wolverine), and the time traveler will be the other character's in which this story is told through.

Let me just say this: I seriously doubt they are going to waste that much tested talent (Stewart, McKellan, Jackman, Paquin, etc.,) in lieu of giving more focus to actors who are just now building names for themselves. It doesn't make sense, even for a marketing perspective, but especially for storyline. To illustrate:

I love Jennifer Lawrence. And depending on what happens tonight at the Oscars will determine much for her "star". But she's playing MYSTIQUE for Christ's sake. And this is an ensemble film. Anyone expecting her or Fassbender to suddenly overshadow certified A-Listers playing major X-Men protagonists is deluding themselves. Even Halle Berry didn't see a huge expansion of her character in X2 after winning her Oscar---and she was playing a main X-Men heroine.

But to say that the characters from FC will be "along for the ride" that is just a total joke. That kind of sentiment shows a lack of respect for the strong actors and their characters, whom we were just introduced to in XMFC.

:whatever:

This is hardly about "respect". It is about characterization and storyline. May I remind you that Fassbender and Lawrence are playing "the bad guys"?? Audiences don't root for the bad guys, remember? All of the big stars returning from the trilogy (with the exception of Ian) are playing who? THE GOOD GUYS. Now, where do you think an already dedicated movie fanbase's loyalties will lie, seriously?? :whatever:

Yes, it's pretty likely the story will be told from their POV too, but at the end of the day, this is about the X-Men fixing an issue in the past.

magneto said:
Can you really see Fassender and his character taking a back seat to anyone in the 70's time period? Because I can't.

To Mrs. Vimes point, we have not seen a script yet. That's true. But if you put Sir Ian McKellan (who has THREE X-films under his belt plus Hobbit and everything else) in a scene with Michael Fassbender (who is a newcomer that has done one spin-off X-film seen by far less people) who do you think is more likely to "drive"? We all know that even if Ian McKellan is in the back-seat, he is merely being chauffeured. :funny:

Master > Protégé.

Last edited:
Thank you. It's amazing how the love and support for the 60's X-Men and First Class has all but evaporated with the announcement of the old cast and old director's return.

Well to be fair, people cleave to familiar things.

Many of the characters in First Class weren't hugely popular with large fan-bases of moviegoers or comic fans to be begin with. [blackout]I mean, Fly Girl w/ Spit? Rico Suave Hot Guy With Storm Powers? LOL :funny: [/blackout]

Jokes aside, they were played by up-and-coming actors which at the time lessened the appeal. And Hugh Jackman's Wolverine only had a 60 second cameo. Beast was in it, but none of the other classic X-Men characters that audiences were attached to were present, so...yeah.

The film's success was buoyed largely by its critical ratings and the loyalties of X-Men fans because it IS part of the X-Men franchise. Many, like myself, just went to see it because "it was the right thing to do".

Bringing back familiar actors like they're doing is certainly going to stir up the base. And you better believe they are doing it on purpose--they can't have another box office performance like they had with FC and hope to remain competitive with Marvel Studios. And if Bryan adds Jean, Scott and Storm to the mix (past, future or both) you can expect anticipation to really go through the roof.

It's all about marketing. And consumer familiarity leads to sales. Everyone is familiar with Bryan Singer, Patrick Stewart, Ian, etc.

The majority of the film takes place in 1973, ergo McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence remain the leads.

Let me just say this: I seriously doubt they are going to waste that much tested talent (Stewart, McKellan, Jackman, Paquin, etc.,) in lieu of giving more focus to actors who are just now building names for themselves.

That actually happens all the time in big movies. You often have new or little known actors in main roles surrounded by better-known, respected actors in supporting roles.

And other than Jackman, none of the actors involved so far are big draws. McKellen and Stewart are hugely respected and add class to the projects they're in, but they're hardly box-office draws in the traditional sense. Anna Paquin's movie career is nothing much to write about even if she had success on TV with True Blood.

To Mrs. Vimes point, we have not seen a script yet. That's true. But if you put Sir Ian McKellan (who has THREE X-films under his belt plus Hobbit and everything else) in a scene with Michael Fassbender (who is a newcomer that has done one spin-off X-film seen by far less people) who do you think is more likely to "drive"? We all know that even if Ian McKellan is in the back-seat, he is merely being chauffeured. :funny:

Master > Protégé.

That's assuming there actually is a scene like this, which is a big assumption.

If the majority of the movie is set in the 70s, the only way the old cast will get more time devoted to them is if they all travel en masse to the past. Which frankly seems unlikely to me.

Plus, you seem to be confusing Lawrence's Mystique - who was the probably the third/fourth most important character in FC and had way more to do than Halle Berry in X1 - with the original!Mystique who was just a silent henchwoman.

Last edited:
That's assuming there actually is a scene like this, which is a big assumption.

If the majority of the movie is set in the 70s, the only way the old cast will get more time devoted to them is if they all travel en masse to the past. Which frankly seems unlikely to me.

Well, you yourself said that anything was possible since we haven't seen the script so... :nono:

;)

Interestingly enough, in 2009's Star Trek, Leonard Nimoy had a major role alongside Zachary Quinto in the latter's timeline. Both had time to shine but clearly whenever Nimoy was on screen it was both nostalgic and magical for viewers. So I'm not saying the balance can't be struck...but it'd be a mistake to assume that Bryan would let one of his most popular original casting choices be "upstaged" by a new actor. I just don't see him letting that happen.

Mrs Vimes said:
Plus, you seem to be confusing Lawrence's Mystique - who was the probably the third/fourth most important character in FC and had way more to do than Halle Berry in X1 - with the original!Mystique who was just a silent henchwoman.

Considering that First Class was an origin story for Mystique that isn't really a fair comparison, is it? That wasn't my point anyway. But now that her story has been told, I wouldn't expect the "henchwoman" to get similar treatment post-Oscar Night in this next film which is starting to boast an ensemble cast perhaps 3 times the size of what was in First Class.

But we'll see. :cool:

Well, you yourself said that anything was possible since we haven't seen the script so... :nono:

;)

Interestingly enough, in 2009's Star Trek, Leonard Nimoy had a major role alongside Zachary Quinto in the latter's timeline. Both had time to shine but clearly whenever Nimoy was on screen it was both nostalgic and magical for viewers. So I'm not saying the balance can't be struck...but it'd be a mistake to assume that Bryan would let one of his most popular original casting choices be "upstaged" by a new actor. I just don't see him letting that happen.

Considering that First Class was an origin story for Mystique that isn't really a fair comparison, is it? That wasn't my point anyway. But now that her story has been told, I wouldn't expect the "henchwoman" to get similar treatment post-Oscar Night in this next film which is starting to boast an ensemble cast perhaps 3 times the size of what was in First Class.

But we'll see. :cool:

Meanwhile Quinto remains the breakout character/star of that film. Not unlike Fassbender. :cool:

Also DoFP cast isn't even 1x the size of First Class yet, much less 3...

Considering how much input Singer had in the First Class though, I don't think he'd be as territorial about someone "upstaging" his casting choice as you think.

:word: Can't wait for that X-film one day where they are free to go back to traditional comic events.

Not me. There is still a lot of potential and ways to go without rebooting. Personally I can't wait for DOFP. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"