Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 4

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

Actually the slime powers(from the hands) was in the comics in early 1990's X-force issues.
    And Toad lead his own brotherhood around that time too.

[​IMG]

X1 s changes were basically the elongated prehensile tongue and the greenish complexion.

2. Norek

Norek Yvonne Strahotski <3

Hmm, I thought Toad also had the tongue in Ultimate X-Men... Or does that change come directly from the movie version?

3. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Ultimate X-Men first came out in February 2001.

4. Nave 'Torment'

Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

UMX had a lot of influence from the movies. And it was intentional.

5. Norek

Norek Yvonne Strahotski <3

I know, but that alone doesn't mean they got it directly from Singer's Toad. Although I guess this is the case indeed. I never knew he didn't have it in the comics before.

6. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

Liefeld did something... cool for once? :huh:

7. roach

roach I am the night

actually his early work was pretty cool

8. JP

JP Smelly

I wonder if Bryan is going to call his friend Harry Knowles again right before this starts filming just like he did with First Class? I remember this being one of my favorite parts throughout following the entire First Class journey.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46217

9. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

That photo at the ice cream place that Singer just posted on Twitter a few minutes is about 15 minutes from me.

Not relevant to the movie at all, but kinda cool finding out that we're apparently neighbors. :oldrazz:

10. JP

JP Smelly

Haha, that's neat!

11. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

And I love that ice cream place! Went there every Saturday when I was a kid.

12. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I'm sure this has been brought up before but with the film taking place in 1963 and Xavier and Magneto "going to be in their late twenties" in that FC post from AICN from a conversation with Singer, does that actually confirm that the original trilogy or at the very least that first X-men movie, at the most took place in 1992? 1963 + 29 (late 20's)

13. Cagefighterkip

Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

I hope so.

14. Nave 'Torment'

Nope, X1 and onwards is in "the not too distant future" :p

15. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Well-Known Member

But that was told from after the camp scene so... :p

16. Nave 'Torment'

But ... then in X3?

17. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Well-Known Member

Concentration camp scene in X1 sir that was the audiances last point of reference for time so the not to distant future from there could very well be in the ninties.

18. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

At the time the trilogy was made they didn't want to place a specific time on events besides the world war II scene In X-Men.Now with first Class establishing Xavier and
    magneto In mid 20's In 1962 It's very likely the trilogy will be retconned as having taken place In mid 1990's.Bryan has said he worked backwords rom the ages of Patrick Stewart
    and Ian Mckellen In devolping first Class story.They were In early 60's thus a mid 1990's timeframe Is very likely.

The future In Days of Future past Is most likely an alternate 2000's and by end of film If they go Into the time travel changing thing so Bryan can correct things from Last Stand route we see a world more like the real 2000's If mutants exsisted.If Cyclops,Jean,and Apocalypse show up the end Is probally when that would happen.They need time travel to happen before they deport from Origins/Last Stand.

19. Nave 'Torment'

Man it'd be such a cop-out if they end up showing that Mutants existing has always been in an alternate reality from our own.

You spend so much time trying to be realistic and make things believable and then pull that stunt it's almost like bad-writing.

I don't have anything inherently against the concept but it just seems lazy because we really don't need to be reminded that they're that different. One of the things I always hated about the Multiverse.

I don't like imagining McAvoy and Fassbender talking about how "and on another Earth in another parallel continuity.... mutants will not have existed at all!"

No. Just no.

20. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

At least we'll have tons of Wolvie tidbits while we're waiting for filming to start.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  21. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

That's not what people are saying at all. You do seem to get these strange notions.

Different things will happen in the alternate timeline(s) but mutants exist in all versions. How can time travel to 1973 prevent/trigger the existence of mutants? That makes no sense.

For example, DoFP may exist in one reality, perhaps beyond X1, X2 and X3. First Class may exist in another reality. There are mutants in both.

22. Nave 'Torment'

I was responding to marvelrobbins' post.

Let's just say that the alternate timeline angle has been done to death everywhere, what I love about the DoFP comic is that it simply suggests an alternative future and doesn't go beyond it. It raises a few questions and leaves the rest to the audience to fill in. That's what it's supposed to be like in the movie. The alternate "continuities" should, in my opinion, be such that they may or may not be alternate continuities.

Perhaps DoFP is averted at the end of the movie. Perhaps it isn't. I'm not a big fan of multiple-realities. To the people of FC (who are most likely to carry the franchise after this film since they're the next gen, the fresh blood, the new approach) the DoFP future may or may not happen. They'll go on thinking they've averted the dystopia.

23. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Not sure how you can say 'it's supposed to be like that in the movie' since they may well opt for another scenario than just hinting at it being an alternate future. I'm sure it will begin as though it's just the one and only future, to create suspense and a sense of real risk/threat, but we may find things change later on in the film.

In the comic, it's obviously an alternative future because of the existence of Rachel Summers, and Scott and Jean never had a child. Rachel wasn't revealed to be a Summers at the time, if i recall correctly, but nonetheless it was clearly intended (and later revealed) to be an alternate timeline by the revelation of her being Scott and Jean's offspring. (Jean was dead in the comics at that point as well).

24. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Yeah, its great that while we are waiting for DOFP, there's the Wolverine to keep us fans busy with this series.

25. echostation

echostation Well-Known Member

It almost looks like he's trying to figure out what steps to take to make sure he doesn't have another Jack Giant Slayer on his hands... the man's few recent films have just been no good.

I really want this film to work, it has the potential to be absolutely brilliant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.