Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 4

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

They're two different movies, and DOFP will probably be more appealing to more people, so I'm not worried.

2. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

Yeah but even critically Jack failed. This is...unusual for Bryan Singer. He used to have an unbroken streak of critically acclaimed films. His first two films were praised for their foundation in "reality". Clearly, he's not getting a lot of love for his venture into fantasy.:csad:

3. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I'm pretty sure Days of Future Past will be a massive hit! its been receiving buzz and hype since last year and this is gonna be the biggest X-Men movie since X3. Even if it gets a 50% rating in Rotten Tomatoes, the movie will still outgross X-Men: First Class.

4. Lightning Strykez!

Yes, but I want high grossage AND high critical reviewage (and yes I know I'm making words up). :csad:

5. psylockolussus

There's a chance of DOFP being an average movie like The Last Stand because of Simon Kinberg. Just because Bryan Singer is directing the movie, it doesn't guarantee that will be a great movie like X2/First Class. The story and script have to be good. They just can't rely on Bryan Singer.

But box-office wise, this movie isn't gonna flop especially if the visual effects are stunning. The Sentinels would help the movie gain new viewers who haven't seen the previous X-Men films. Plus the star power of Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Michael Fassbender, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, James McAvoy, Anna Paquin, Peter Dinklage and Jennifer Lawrence will really help the movie to sell.

6. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

You keep bringing up SImon Kinberg.And as I keep mentioning Kinberg was kep part of first Class team.He even did last rounds of work on script for First Class.Both he and Bryan Singer have to be given some credit for success of first Class.

Some will likely post In X-Men boards to brag about Jack's performance In their prodisney antiFox rants.

7. Lightning Strykez!

Nothing worries me more about this film than Simon Kinberg's involvement. He is responsible for some of the worst s*** we have in the FOX staple of Marvel films. Fantastic Four, X-Men: The Last Stand, etc. Ugh.

8. psylockolussus

And he also wrote X-Men: The Last Stand and we know one of the things he worked on the script of First Class and that was Prof X/Magneto beating Emma Frost with just 1 push.

I'm not gonna give him credit for First Class because he didn't write the movie. Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman did that. He didn't come up with story. Bryan Singer did that. He produced the film and made some minor changes that didn't really help the movie. I'm not gonna put my faith on him just because he's working with Bryan Singer.

9. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

How does he still get work on these movies?

10. marvelrobbins

Akiva Goldsmith who wrote the worst comic Book movie ever later won an oscar for writing a beautiful mind.This Isn't 2005.You keep blaming Kinberg for the Last stand disaster.Rothman Is gone.

Kinberg was basiclly the on set script doctor as well as a producer.Changes had to be made so they wouldn't go over budget.The Xavier and Emma telephatic battle was casultary of budget.

Kinberg had been working with Matthew Vaughn on script till Vaughn bailed as director,and continued to work under Bryan's supervision on Bryan's version of DOFP script.

11. psylockolussus

According to Simon Kinberg's Wikipedia page:

He was the writer of these films:
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    X-Men: The Last Stand
    Jumper
    Sherlock Holmes
    This Means War (this was just last year) :o

And he was the script doctor for:
    Fantastic Four
    Night of the Museum 2
    Date Night
    Knight and Day
    Sherlock Holmes 2

Out of those movies, the movie that was well-received by critics was Sherlock Holmes and Kinberg was not even the 1st writer for that movie. There is no guarantee that he would deliver a great script. If DOFP ends up as good as X2/First Class then its going to be his best movie to date. I just hope he doesn't screw up again. And I hope Matthew Vaughn/Jane Goldman are still going to do some rewrites.

And you keep blaming Rothman. Rothman was the head of FOX and it was normal that he gave suggestions but its not an excuse for the writers to deliver a so-so script. The Xavier and Emma telepathic battle was cut because according to Vaughn, it would look similar to Inception. They didn't cut the scene because of budget concerns.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. marvelrobbins

Because he was key member of first Class team.He was one who first propsed to Lauren SHueller Donnor on doing first Class.And It was he who suggested to Bryan on hiring Matthew Vaughn.He and Vaughn got along well when Vaughn was going to do Last Stand.and worked on draft together.

I hope you also critize DIsney for hiring him to write a Star Wars Spinoff.

13. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

We already know that Singer has made some changes to the script so I wouldn't worry about it.

14. marvelrobbins

Vaughn and Goldman aren't working on script anymore.It's not even known how much Involvement Vaughn has anymore now that he Is producer.

Mark Millar said he worked closely with vaughn on DOFP script before Vaughn turned It over to SInger.

15. JP

JP Smelly

I certainly understand the concern, but I just remind myself how involved he was with First Class and it eases my mind... a bit. :p

I also remember that Singer was set to go on directing First Class before WB forced him to do Jack. And considering how involved he was in First Class (I've been told he was on set nearly every day) I think he was just not that into Jack. His desire was still in the X-world.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  16. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

17. psylockolussus

18. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Too cute...

19. marvelrobbins

I heard a rumor he really wanted to do first class over Jack but warner brothers forced him to do jack with threat of lawsuit over breath of contract If he tried
    to ditch Jack for first class.

All reports say Bryan was very hands on producer on first Class.During shoot In
    London he was on set every day.On DVD/Bluray special features you can see him on set as they shoot the bar scene of Magneto going after nazis.

20. Asteroid-Man

Asteroid-Man Ham Sammiches

Singer generally does a re-write of the script prior to shooting. Also, I wouldn't even look at Kinberg's "Script Doctoring" for an idea of his own writing. I know some script doctors, and I don't think they can personally write for ****.

21. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

I've read an article on one of the movie sites analyzing why Jack bombed, and one of the points was the choice of the director whose non-franchise films are the opposite of family-friendly. And that the movie didn't really know what it wanted to be - a kids-oriented film or something darker and edgier - and that being in this middle ground is like box-office kryptonite.

It does worry me that Singer's last truly stellar directorial effort was about 10 years ago now (Superman Returns wasn't terrible but it was totally forgettable, Valkyrie was good but not great). I can't help but think of parallels to Peter Jackson and his career path and how the return to "his" franchise turned out. Fingers crossed it turns out to be the opposite for Singer, because most of the acting talent involved here would be an absolute crime to waste.

Unless the marketing department really screw things up I don't think DoFP will flop, but if it's not a good movie I honeslty wouldn't give a damn about its box-office.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  22. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

I don't think those concerns are founded.

The one thing Singer always did really well was handle an ensemble cast with a big, character driven narrative. That was the strongest point of Valykyrie, the only movie really to use that device since X-Men. The weakest parts of Valkyrie were in the story concept, not the execution.

23. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

jack was just a bland looking film visually it looked like your typical medieval film singer is one of the blandest visualist in cinema

24. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Your typical medieval film with cartoon giants?

25. huzzah

huzzah Well-Known Member

At this moment in time I don't think there's any reason why DOFP should fail badly.

A great story plus three (?) Oscar winners in the cast, there is really is no excuse for a substandard, lacklustre film...is there? :huh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.