Burger King drops firm that supplied horse meat

Is it bad that my first thought was, "I wonder what horse tastes like?"

I would want to know if there is anything but cow in my burger, for sure.

Based on the headline, I can only assume they've located another firm to supply horse meat at a lower price. Free markets win again! :awesome:

I've eaten plenty of horsemeat when I was a kid. My grandparents uesd to have some sort of sausage. It has a weird taste to eat, not at all like pork, chicken or any other meat I've tasted.

I've heard about this horse meat scandal, though mostly concerning the beef sold at Tesco. I don't really see the big deal. People eat horse all the time. I wasn't aware it was one of those animals that was too cute or intelligent to eat.

I worked several years on a horse farm here in Kentucky....there was plenty a day that I thought about eating one or two of them @$#!**!%^#s

There`s nothing wrong or unsafe about eating horse meat. However, if a product is sold as a beef burger, you don't expect it to have horse in it...

Which I think was the main issue with the UK "scandal"

The problem is that the supermarkets, squeeze the suppliers so much, making them work on lower and lower profit margins. Making them subsidise the supermarket advertising promotions where their products are showcased. And other things I bet.

So I am not surprised that this even happened. Although I am making the assumption that horse meat is a lot cheaper than cow meat.

I've eaten plenty of horsemeat when I was a kid. My grandparents uesd to have some sort of sausage. It has a weird taste to eat, not at all like pork, chicken or any other meat I've tasted.

Probably because its horse.

I don't eat any animal that could potentially save my life.

I had the spicy original chicken club from Burger King the yesterday, it was delicious.

I'd eat horse meat (any mammal, really).

Pffft, for a good price, I'd eat human meat. :o

Trouble is it`s so hard to get a hold of these days...

I've heard about this horse meat scandal, though mostly concerning the beef sold at Tesco. I don't really see the big deal. People eat horse all the time. I wasn't aware it was one of those animals that was too cute or intelligent to eat.

the US is so backwards about so many things.

Last edited:
I don't eat any animal that could potentially save my life.

There's a great scene in the Paul Newman movie HOMBRE. Newman is a white man who had been raised by the Apache's...but is now wearing white men's clothes and has had his hair cut short. He's listening to an uppity woman talking about the Apache's, about how they even eat dogs.

Newman: Lady, you ever been hungry?
Woman: Yes, but never hungry enough to eat a dog.
Newman: I'm not talking of "I didn't finish breakfast and it's another hour before lunch hungry".....I'm talking your belly is so empty you feel it pressing into your backbone hungry. Go 3 or 4 days with nothing.....dog gets real tasty then.

There's a great scene in the Paul Newman movie HOMBRE. Newman is a white man who had been raised by the Apache's...but is now wearing white men's clothes and has had his hair cut short. He's listening to an uppity woman talking about the Apache's, about how they even eat dogs.

Newman: Lady, you ever been hungry?
Woman: Yes, but never hungry enough to eat a dog.
Newman: I'm not talking of "I didn't finish breakfast and it's another hour before lunch hungry".....I'm talking your belly is so empty you feel it pressing into your backbone hungry. Go 3 or 4 days with nothing.....dog gets real tasty then.

I'd rather die than eat my best friend.

And there's a reason why eating horsemeat can actually be unsafe. Just look at the content on the dewormers and shots given to horses used for non human consumption.

What they didn't tell you, is that Burger King is going to continue to use cat meat in all their burger and burger like products.

I'm not really surprised. Didn't McD's get caught doing this in the '80s?

Anyway, it's advertised as beef, it should be beef. Even if it's the crappiest parts of the cow, at least it's from a cow.

While I have no moral judgments about people who are starving eating horses, dogs, etc. in other countries (or here, I suppose, in certain regions) I think as people in a first world country we can have some standards for our behavior and not eat horses and dogs. They're pets in this country and many of them are already treated cruddy enough, abused, etc. without people also eating them. Context matters.

Horses.... I don't trust them. Their shoes are permanent. Who makes that kind of a commitment to a shoe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"