Burton's Batman VS Nolan's Batman VS Schumacher's Batman

Nolan's characters don't either. That's just a cheap trick to downgrade the quality of the flms just because its cool to find flaws to much praised movies.

No matter how flawed, no matter how imperfect... I still love the Nolan Batman movies.

But his characters are walking thesis papers.

Too often are superhero movies subjectively viewed based on the characterizations rather than the sum of all parts.

Are they?

Regardless, characterisation is rather an important facet of a good film. in the context we are discussing, it also encompasses scriptwriting.

I think Batman (and superheroes in general) works better in fantasy worlds like Burton's Gotham. If you make a world like that, most people would accept the weird things like a guy falling in a vat of chemicals and becoming a clown, deadly joy buzzers, bat themed vehicles and so on.

Burton's Gotham is actually scary, like in a classic horror movie. And if Batman jumped out of the shadows I would believe that he was something supernatural.

If I saw Nolans Batman in Chicago... I would probably be afraid, but for a different reason. "Wow, that screaming guy in the bat costume looks crazy. Better run before he hurts me!".

The Nolan movies tried to make Batman's world more like our own, but some of it didn't work for me:

- Two-Face.
- Scarecrow's mask
- Ninjas.
- The microwave emitter.
- And many, many other things...

All of the things on the list would have worked better in the burtonverse. I feel that the dark knight trilogy "broke its own rules" in many places. First it tries to explain everything for us, and then Two-Face shows up, more burnt than Darkman.

I never really saw Burton's Gotham as a fantasy world. I saw it as a fictional city.

Fantasy is inherent to the concept of Batman anyway.

Meh.

I suggest people read the uncut version of the 89 batman. it's awesome. Infact the dark knight is like a remake of it.
Gordon and Dent have much bigger roles and actually know bruce is batman and they help him keep it secret. vicky vale is fleshed out more to.

then there is a script called batman 2 by raimi that burton dropped for the returns script. it's ok. vicky is still in it and it introduces robin, and shows batman giving up killing because he is around. I loved keaton. And I loved bale in begins. but he dropped the ball as batman in the other 2 films

I suggest people read the uncut version of the 89 batman. it's awesome. Infact the dark knight is like a remake of it.
Gordon and Dent have much bigger roles and actually know bruce is batman and they help him keep it secret. vicky vale is fleshed out more to.

then there is a script called batman 2 by raimi that burton dropped for the returns script. it's ok. vicky is still in it and it introduces robin, and shows batman giving up killing because he is around. I loved keaton. And I loved bale in begins. but he dropped the ball as batman in the other 2 films

Uncut version, you mean the scripts? I have read the Batman 2 script by Sam Hamm if that's the one you're thinking of?:yay:

I liked the unused Batman 2 script. But I didn't like how Catwoman was written in it, and that they changed The Penguin's name. While I love Batman Returns, it would have been cool to see this version on the screen...

Last edited:
Uncut version, you mean the scripts? I have read the Batman 2 script by Sam Hamm if that's the one you're thinking of?:yay:

I liked the unused Batman 2 script. But I didn't like how Catwoman was written in it, and that they changed The Penguin's name. While I love Batman Returns, it would have been cool to see this version on the screen...

yeah sorry the scripts. the 89 one had so much depth and it's cut out of the film.

I liked catwoman in the raimi script. SPOILERS for peeps who did'nt read it......
I liked when batman was about to kill her when she was lying there paralised and he contemplates it and then chooses not to when he see's grayson is watching. that was kind of an epic scene for me

As much as I love the design of Burtons Gotham in the 89 film....it mostly feels like a set to me. He wasn't skilled enough to mask it imo and it leaves the film feeling oddly, well, stagey. The open spaces feel to open and hollow to me. He is much better at working with sets in Returns.

The 89 bats will hold a special place with me forever with its problems and all it was my introduction to the character and I was 7 when it came out. I voted Nolan even though I was really disappointed with tdkr.

I just read this whole thread, I'm kinda bored at work...... wow I sort of forgot about anno

Batman definitely has a swanky movie history before Nolan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"