By Neptune's Trident, how Outrageous! the Aquaman thread - Part 1

It's been mentioned in solicits I know. Like the Nightwing ones that say "with Blackest Night imminent" and stuff like that.

And you know this how????? You have a link?

So you quote me again a month later interpreting what I said correctly? :o

I knew at the time because that actually makes sense. And since that post Johns has stated it to be so.

So you quote me again a month later interpreting what I said correctly? :o

I knew at the time because that actually makes sense. And since that post Johns has stated it to be so.
Dude...Im just asking where? I'd like to read it.......that is all. calm down

I liked this most recent issue a lot but not sure how much I care for the change in lineages.

I didn't become a fan of this character with Peter David's work. I was a fan before then. But I think it's cool considering how many PD fans have *****ed about his characters and concepts being thrown out the window that Johns figured away to reintroduce them into the New 52. I enjoyed the twists and subversions to familiar tropes (Orin now being the name of Arthur's ancestor, Atlan now being his great great great great great great great great uncle, the different united kingdoms making up the nation of Atlantis etc.) I also think it's cool that now Arthur has to deal with making up for the ****** actions of his ancestor and redefining his lineage's legacy.

I didn't become a fan of this character with Peter David's work. I was a fan before then. But I think it's cool considering how many PD fans have *****ed about his characters and concepts being thrown out the window that Johns figured away to reintroduce them into the New 52. I enjoyed the twists and subversions to familiar tropes (Orin now being the name of Arthur's ancestor, Atlan now being his great great great great great great great great uncle, the different united kingdoms making up the nation of Atlantis etc.) I also think it's cool that now Arthur has to deal with making up for the ****** actions of his ancestor and redefining his lineage's legacy.

Eh, I don't see why he can't just have two names. He's half human and half Atlantean, so he has a human name and an Atlantean name. That would work just fine. that sort of thing isn't uncommon in mixed families.

As for Atlan, I figure a better way to fit him in would be to make him Arthur's father in a more metaphorical sense. As in, he's taken an invested interest in him and has subtly guided him along the path he's on in order to fulfill some ancient wizardly agenda of his. Maybe have him be the source of Aquaman's telepathic powers. So not his biological father, but he created him in a sense.

Eh, I don't see why he can't just have two names. He's half human and half Atlantean, so he has a human name and an Atlantean name. That would work just fine. that sort of thing isn't uncommon in mixed families.

I don't really see a need for him to go by 2 names anymore tbh. But I suppose having him take on the name "Orin" in order to redeem the name from his villainous ancestor could probably work.

As for Atlan, I figure a better way to fit him in would be to make him Arthur's father in a more metaphorical sense. As in, he's taken an invested interest in him and has subtly guided him along the path he's on in order to fulfill some ancient wizardly agenda of his.

That just sounds too convoluted. Plus it wouldn't be too sensible considering that New 52 Atlan can't stand Arthur in anyway due to his ancestry, which is why he now took the throne of Atlantis back.

Maybe have him be the source of Aquaman's telepathic powers. So not his biological father, but he created him in a sense.

Now this could work since they're still relatives so they still share the same bloodline despite no longer having a patriarch/progeny dynamic. It's very clear by this very issue that Atlan was pretty special even before his people mutated and adapted to under water life.

I think it would be a great twist to have Arthurs actual father be the good guy. After all whose point of view was the chair giving?

The way it read it clearly was giving the POV of Orin's followers the way they kept painting Atlan as being toxic to Atlantis. But the actual scenes when you ignore the narrative caption boxes show the contrary.

Atlan was a progressive king who wanted to unite different kingdoms and races under one roof. Orin was against interracial relations and had a much more regressive viewpoint. Like Vulko said, Orin came across as the true villain.

I would wonder if maybe Orin was just shown to us in that light as a way to only show a certain side of him, I could be wrong I just don't want Arthur to be a descendent of a Evil person and I want him to be a true heir not a usurper. I do wonder about Orms lineage now, is he a legit Atlan descndant or of Orin?

This was absolutely the best ending to an Aquaman story I've ever read...he didn't lose a body part......Mera comes back to his side...he shaves that stupid beard!! He's smiling!!

And we have a great subplot cliffhanger!!

Johns wrapped this up nicely!!

Now...lets not drop the ball!

Last edited:
I loved this issue. I hope Parker can keep the quality this top notch.

I'm stoked that while Johns is leaving this book, he is still going to be telling Aquaman stories in Justice League (as indicated by the Seven Seas blurb at the end of this issue).

Ok..........so where does this all fall in Forever Evil??? Orm was broken out of jail by the Syndicate. He's at the house of that lady and her son AFTER this storyline finishes!

So that means that both stories were happening at the same time! But how can that be?? Aquaman was with the JL when the Ultraman crew busted in!

Can these guys get an editorial mtg going at DC?

Why is the concept that this story happened seperately from Forever Evil so incredibly lost on you? It is like this for literally every other book right now as well Superman is off fighting h'el but in forever evil is stuck in the firestorm matrix, this is happening because Supermans individual story is just at a different time and doesn't need to be needlessly bogged down with Forever Evils details and story.

Actually I can see how it's very confusing. Especially due to an event of Forever Evil showing up in the end of the story. But it actually makes sense if the entirety of Trinity War and Forever Evil took place between scenes after Mera returns to Aquaman in the end but before the Orm scene. I hate fitting things between scenes, but that's how this one works.

So it goes:

Geoff Johns' final Aquaman arc
Trinity War
Forever Evil (including the Aquaman issue with Orm)
Final scene of Johns' final issue

In that way it chronologically makes sense.

Actually I can see how it's very confusing. Especially due to an event of Forever Evil showing up in the end of the story. But it actually makes sense if the entirety of Trinity War and Forever Evil took place between scenes after Mera returns to Aquaman in the end but before the Orm scene. I hate fitting things between scenes, but that's how this one works.

So it goes:

Trinity War

Thanks....at least you are intellectually honest about this. You see what Im talking about.

And I agree with you on your scenario......it's kinda silly that readers have to stretch that far to make it make sense. But it's the only way it works.

So it goes:

Trinity War

I'm not trying to sound like a smarty pants but I thought that came across rather plainly. This story could to me have taken place at any time really if you take out that Orm ending.

I can see how it would be confusing but seeing as I only read DC i kept it together well enough i guess.

It could also come across as confusing because technically the 2 issues of Aquaman 23 (I think it was 23) were Forever Evil tie-ins and read as if they took place somewhere around Aquaman's 6 month coma when they actually read after issue 25. Add that to the Orm scene in 25 feeling like it's taking place about the same time as the rest of the events o Johns' final arc, and I can easily see the confusion. Honestly, I think DC and Geoff Johns specifically did a crap job of laying out the two stories. The way it was laid out, it feels like Forever Evil should have fit in the 6 month gap, which of course doesn't make sense.

This is why I prefer a cohesive universe and not a "well, we'll figure out the timeline once everything is written" because there is always confusion. I'd rather they just remove Aquaman from Trinity War and Forever Evil and mention that he'd gone missing (like how Flash was missing from Throne of Atlantis to deal with Grodd). Have Forever Evil take place during Aquaman's 6 month coma, and then have him wake up and see the result of Forever Evil after dealing with the rest of Johns' final Aquaman arc. Then it reads linear and is easy to follow instead of this bouncing back and forth "WHERE DOES IT FIT?!!!" storytelling that Marvel and DC both do these days (particularly Marvel).

Last edited:
It could also come across as confusing because technically the 2 issues of Aquaman 23 (I think it was 23) were Forever Evil tie-ins and read as if they took place somewhere around Aquaman's 6 month coma when they actually read after issue 25. Add that to the Orm scene in 25 feeling like it's taking place about the same time as the rest of the events o Johns' final arc, and I can easily see the confusion. Honestly, I think DC and Geoff Johns specifically did a crap job of laying out the two stories. The way it was laid out, it feels like Forever Evil should have fit in the 6 month gap, which of course doesn't make sense.

This is why I prefer a cohesive universe and not a "well, we'll figure out the timeline once everything is written" because there is always confusion. I'd rather they just remove Aquaman from Trinity War and Forever Evil and mention that he'd gone missing (like how Flash was missing from Throne of Atlantis to deal with Grodd). Have Forever Evil take place during Aquaman's 6 month coma, and then have him wake up and see the result of Forever Evil after dealing with the rest of Johns' final Aquaman arc. Then it reads linear and is easy to follow instead of this bouncing back and forth "WHERE DOES IT FIT?!!!" storytelling that Marvel and DC both do these days (particularly Marvel).

You nailed everything I've been thinking!

Actually I can see how it's very confusing.
So it goes:
Trinity War
Mmmh thanks a lot dude. I may read those comics again with this in mind. Because frankly, that was confusing. I mean they just created the New 52 Universe to make thingsmoreaccessible, it yet already confusing ><

Agreed, they could have explained it this way, it would have made sense and have been cool.

Edit: This serie rocks, and has displayed such a big potential, I hope they will deliver...

Mmmh thanks a lot dude. I may read those comics again with this in mind. Because frankly, that was confusing. I mean they just created the New 52 Universe to make thingsmoreaccessible, it yet already confusing ><

Agreed, they could have explained it this way, it would have made sense and have been cool.

Edit: This serie rocks, and has displayed such a big potential, I hope they will deliver...

Just glad to see I wasn't the ONLY ONE this whole thing didnt make sense to, as well.

I'm just hoping that Parker's first arc doesn't make it worse. It will likely take place prior to Forever Evil as well since most titles won't catch up to Forever Evil until March or April. It can still fall prior to Trinity War as long as Orm doesn't show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"