Dark Phoenix "By the Bright Lady!" The Official Alexandra Shipp/Storm Thread

I loved her in X2. I really wish they had kept the scene with her flying over the lake. Or that it would have at least been made available as part of the deleted scenes. Though most of her appearances in these films have been wasted potential. I hope the MCU treats her better.
There was supposed to be a scene of her flying over the lake? I don't even remember there being a scene like that in the novelization.

I'm gonna be honest with y'all, I'm not a fan of Alexandra as Storm, she just doesn't have the it factor. Plus, I heard an interview of her from recently, and she doesn't even know when Storm started in the comics. She claimed she doesn't need Black Panther because she started before him (wrong). I've had it with her.

And that's my opinion anyway.

I'm gonna be honest with y'all, I'm not a fan of Alexandra as Storm, she just doesn't have the it factor. Plus, I heard an interview of her from recently, and she doesn't even know when Storm started in the comics. She claimed she doesn't need Black Panther because she started before him (wrong). I've had it with her.

And that's my opinion anyway.
She just always say the wrong words.

There was supposed to be a scene of her flying over the lake? I don't even remember there being a scene like that in the novelization.

So waaay back in the day, months before the movie was released, Halle did a quick interview with Playboy where she was asked if she got to do any flying this time around. She responded by describing a scene she shot of her flying over the lake. This was so many years ago and I don't even remember where I read this Playboy or, me being a raging homosexual, why I even had the thing.

After seeing this movie I see why Shipp was frustrated. Storm is in scenes but with no lines. There are moments where her POV is definitely needed but is missed out on. I wished during the fight at her house Charles would have said to her: “Storm bring her down but gently” and she flies up looking at Jean face to face and she says, “Jean my friend I’m sorry but I can’t let you hurt anymore people.” She hurls a couple of lightning bolts at Jean, Jean protects her with a TK shield and the bolts hit Storm sending her flying back and Quicksilver catchers her.

However I did like her new power usage during the NYC fight. And in the train sequence she helps out Eric and nods to him which is a call to their horseman days. Other than Storm (along with others) get no character development, she doesn’t have dialogue with no other X-Men outside of Charles and Scott. If this movie was about family then it needed all members of this said family to show up and have an opinion about what their family member has done and what they should do in particular when it comes to that family member. A scene between her and Kurt talking about Jean’s fall from grace and forgiveness of ones sins would have been nice.

I love Storm, I've always loved Storm. Fox never got their head around the fact that she's more than flashy cgi black woman. She's there to excite the audience with some lightning and nothing more. They didn't care about her backstory, her motives or her relationship towards other characters. Simply because they revolve every movie around character and that is that.

Wolverine plagued the OT and DoFP (plus three movies on his own). Magneto got First Class, Mystique got the other half of DoFP, Charles got Apocalypse and Jean got DP. So everybody else were fodder.

definitely disagree with the overall synopsis about Storm, I felt that this was the best showing in terms of power usage and abilities, definetly in the final scene. As for character development, she had key moments for her development. I think you guys are imposing views from other movies on this one.

And in the train sequence she helps out Eric and nods to him which is a call to their horseman days. Other than Storm (along with others) get no character development, she doesn’t have dialogue with no other X-Men outside of Charles and Scott.
I previously jokingly said "so much for Chastain's 'Bechdel Test' praise for this movie" once I learned Storm doesn't talk even to Jean. Some random person then said "'Bechdel Test' doesn't mean *all* women have to talk to each other" *sticks tongue out!*

Now I learn Storm only talks to Cyclops and Xavier??? Jesus.

She could barely hold her own against Red Lotus in New York. That's another reminder of TLS, with Storm and Callisto. And yet, she was super powerful in the third act. Odd.

Shipp was alright, even if the styling was bad and she got barely any material to work with. Nothing new, unfortunately.

Storm was kick ass in this movie, at least in terms of action. I was thoroughly surprised. She used lightning to zap all those aliens, mini hail storm to stop Red Lotus, using her atmopheric powers to hold that spaceship together, gust of wind to stop those guys from overpowering Magneto. The action was perfect but as usual no character development or relationship to to other characters.

Anyone else here collect Marvel Legends?
This was just announced for pre-order. Part of the 80 Year Anniversary Marvel Legends Retro Wave
E6107AS00Marvel_Retro_Storm_Figure_02_2000x.jpg
E6107AS00Marvel_Retro_Storm_Figure_01_2000x.jpg

After seeing this movie I see why Shipp was frustrated. Storm is in scenes but with no lines. There are moments where her POV is definitely needed but is missed out on. I wished during the fight at her house Charles would have said to her: “Storm bring her down but gently” and she flies up looking at Jean face to face and she says, “Jean my friend I’m sorry but I can’t let you hurt anymore people.” She hurls a couple of lightning bolts at Jean, Jean protects her with a TK shield and the bolts hit Storm sending her flying back and Quicksilver catchers her.

However I did like her new power usage during the NYC fight. And in the train sequence she helps out Eric and nods to him which is a call to their horseman days. Other than Storm (along with others) get no character development, she doesn’t have dialogue with no other X-Men outside of Charles and Scott. If this movie was about family then it needed all members of this said family to show up and have an opinion about what their family member has done and what they should do in particular when it comes to that family member. A scene between her and Kurt talking about Jean’s fall from grace and forgiveness of ones sins would have been nice.

Sounds like they stayed true to screwing her over just like they did Halle Berry.

Can someone please list all of Storm’s power usage?

Can someone please list all of Storm’s power usage?

Yes she froze the open cracks of the shuttle in space , (that’s possible in space right?), she made ice cubes in Scott and jeans drinks at the very quick forest scene , she shot a lighting bolt at Jean in front of her dads house, she shot lightning at multiple people many times , created a blizzard type wind storm during the train scene. Her flying was not anything special and very obviously wire work. She barely had lines or natural connections with anyone.

Yes she froze the open cracks of the shuttle in space , (that’s possible in space right?), she made ice cubes in Scott and jeans drinks at the very quick forest scene , she shot a lighting bolt at Jean in front of her dads house, she shot lightning at multiple people many times , created a blizzard type wind storm during the train scene. Her flying was not anything special and very obviously wire work. She barely had lines or natural connections with anyone.

Thank you

One more question, when it came to her eyes turning white did we actually see the transition from normal to white or was just a cut to her with white eyes? (if that makes sense?)

One more question, when it came to her eyes turning white did we actually see the transition from normal to white or was just a cut to her with white eyes? (if that makes sense?)
You def see the transition when she first uses her powers in space. It looked good and natural. The Visual FX were the best part of the movie.

She was pretty badass. And she has limited development. There's a sort of blink and you'll miss it mini arc happening where she originally has a more
militant view on Jean (like others) and then decides to fight for her in a kind of reversal of THE LAST STAND.

I get why this is to a degree. She's not been a key cog in the last few films, and there's no key reason for her to be now. Some more development between Storm and Xavier and Storm and Jean would be nice, an exploration of Storm's adjustment to life with the school and evolution from orphan to teacher, which could be part of the surrogate family angle, or even a rededication to leading/maintaining the X-Men from Scott and Storm in the denoument, but there are structural limitations to ensemble films, and Shipp is a relative unknown. They're not going to take screentime away from McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, and up and comers like Sheridan to give Storm her due.

Still, Ororo, as usual, while done justice in a supporting character sense, did deserve more. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit more on the cutting room floor somewhere. As is tradition.

Storm, like many of the others, would have benefited from another film being in between Apocalypse and DP (in addition to being more fleshed out in her origin in the former). She has lines but they could've really been said by anyone. She has zero relationship to Jean. We're left to assume they know each other due to spending 10 years together. It's the same problem many of the relationships in this film have. They're just telling us they exist at best instead of showing the development. It's my biggest problem with the movie - a lack of gravitas due to the audience not being given much of a reason to care about the characters.

Power-wise she was awesome all around, though. And credit to Shipp for maintaining the accent throughout.

She was so agressively against Jean lol. I swear there was a scene in which she was talking to Scott (as seen in the trailer) that is so similar in X3, in which Storm asking the Wolverine why he can't let go of Jean... geez Simon Kinberg.

She was so agressively against Jean lol. I swear there was a scene in which she was talking to Scott (as seen in the trailer) that is so similar in X3, in which Storm asking the Wolverine why he can't let go of Jean... geez Simon Kinberg.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. "We're really doing this scene again?" ran through my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"