By the Bristling Beard of Odin! The Thor Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
fear-itself1.jpg

fear-itself2.jpg

"I love Angry Odin and Petulant Young Thor."

Yes, that's fine and dandy and all. So why don't you just write some more stories pre-banishment and let Gillen take over.

Please? :csad:

I know, right? He pretty much happily admits that he's regressed Thor and he's proud of it. :facepalm:

YES! SPINNING HAMMER = YES!! That looks f***ing awesome! :awesome:
....did you vote on it? More than likely the spinning hammer will win.

Amazon delayed my copy of it. :p

I've just startered reading Fractions run, and thus far I'm not thrilled. I'm not sure the Aesir should be saying "Shut up" all the time, for starters, haha.

And bringing Odin back--JMS established Odin could not be released without also freeing Surtur to bring about the cycle of Ragnarok once more. In the issues I've read so far, Fraction hasn't addressed this. Seems sloppy. It's a shame, I usually like Fraction--but I don't really like what he's doing on this title so far.

Young Loki isn't bad, but Thor acting like a *****e and Baldur being a whining nothing is sort of annoying. Also, I'm uncertain why he decided to charge to his death for no reason. I think I'll stick to Journey Into Mystery, rather than following Fraction into Mighty Thor.

Last edited:
In his run so far, the best thing Fraction's done is having Thor reminisce about Young Loki in his first issue. That was good.

The rest I can live without.

Just a year ago I didn't think I would ever read a Thor book - Now I'm a nut reading everything. Even if the movie turns out bad, I'm happy that I found the Thor book. I'm a fan for life...

Any good Avengers books with Thor in a big role?

depends on which Thor you're looking for Bruce. lol
If you want a Thor that's the most powerful you'd want to Read any of the Reigning arcs. Last trade Thor Disassembled has Thor at his most power incarnation "Rune Thor ended the last Asgard basically.

A Great Classic Story with the Warriors Three is Blood Oath, a Trade showing that Thor doesn't need to use Mjolnir all the time, and they visit other pantheons in the Trade.

The best story that precedes Thor's banishment and best explains why he was banished is Ages of Thunder.

Can't really think of a Thor centric Avengers arc tho

I've just startered reading Fractions run, and thus far I'm not thrilled. I'm not sure the Aesir should be saying "Shut up" all the time, for starters, haha.

And bringing Odin back--JMS established Odin could not be released without also freeing Surtur to bring about the cycle of Ragnarok once more. In the issues I've read so far, Fraction hasn't addressed this. Seems sloppy. It's a shame, I usually like Fraction--but I don't really like what he's doing on this title so far.

Young Loki isn't bad, but Thor acting like a *****e and Baldur being a whining nothing is sort of annoying. Also, I'm uncertain why he decided to charge to his death for no reason. I think I'll stick to Journey Into Mystery, rather than following Fraction into Mighty Thor.

You should check out the now released Ultimate Thor hardcover, or wait 1 more month to get it in a nice Softcover edition. =) Jonathan Hickman and Carlos Pachero weaved the basics for "Ultimate Asgard" and telling a quality story showing why Thor, Loki and Asgard itself is such a great Marvel creation.

Any good Avengers books with Thor in a big role?

If you're okay with elseworlds, both Ultimates 1 & 2 have Thor in a very important role. Siege is Dark Reign's conclusion which has Asgard and so forth, but that story was only okay/decent good in my eyes.

There was a kick ass Thor/Cap/Iron Man crossover during the Spiral arc that I'd recommend. Can't remember the name. The one where Iron Man made that Thor Buster Armor and got his ass kicked.

"Stand-Off," featured in Thor vol. 2 #58, Iron Man vol. 3 #64, and Avengers vol. 3 #63. Damned fine story, and not just because Thor kicks pretty much everyone's ass. :up:

There really aren't that many Thor-centric Avengers arcs, to be honest. Based on the Avengers comics I've read, it seems like most writers kind of viewed Thor as too powerful compared to the rest of the team and tried to brush him to the side or take him out of play (especially easy during the Blake/60-second rule years) or just flat-out take him off the team.

Probably your best bets are recent stories like Avengers: Prime. Thor had a pretty cool role in "Ultron Unlimited," but not really a central one. Great story that everyone should read anyway, though.

Anyway, how about that .1 issue, huh? I'd almost forgotten what it's like to read a good Thor issue. :awesome:

You should check out the now released Ultimate Thor hardcover, or wait 1 more month to get it in a nice Softcover edition. =) Jonathan Hickman and Carlos Pachero weaved the basics for "Ultimate Asgard" and telling a quality story showing why Thor, Loki and Asgard itself is such a great Marvel creation.

If you're okay with elseworlds, both Ultimates 1 & 2 have Thor in a very important role. Siege is Dark Reign's conclusion which has Asgard and so forth, but that story was only okay/decent good in my eyes.
What issues are in that Drz?

It's the 4 issue mini series, the hardcover collects some inked and penciled pages + character sketches as a bonus, but you can find those sketches over at CBR.

"Stand-Off," featured in Thor vol. 2 #58, Iron Man vol. 3 #64, and Avengers vol. 3 #63. Damned fine story, and not just because Thor kicks pretty much everyone's ass. :up:

There really aren't that many Thor-centric Avengers arcs, to be honest. Based on the Avengers comics I've read, it seems like most writers kind of viewed Thor as too powerful compared to the rest of the team and tried to brush him to the side or take him out of play (especially easy during the Blake/60-second rule years) or just flat-out take him off the team.

Probably your best bets are recent stories like Avengers: Prime. Thor had a pretty cool role in "Ultron Unlimited," but not really a central one. Great story that everyone should read anyway, though.

Anyway, how about that .1 issue, huh? I'd almost forgotten what it's like to read a good Thor issue. :awesome:
yeah I agree, that was great, tho Thor leading the Avengers is another story.

It's the 4 issue mini series, the hardcover collects some inked and penciled pages + character sketches as a bonus, but you can find those sketches over at CBR.
ah ok, was hoping for a collection of issues I'm missing. lol I need to get that whole run between the 1st Ultimates and now. The Magneto story I guess.

Ultimates 1 and 2 are in a normal sized softcover nowdays, those should be rather cheap if you truly are interested to check 'em out. Chris Hemsworth liked them in his preparation for Thor.

I have the first one. I saw some of the 2nd one on that library site that was closed.

Was Avengers: Prime any good story? I think it was Steve, Tony and Thor in Asgard and stuff.

I enjoyed it, but more for the art than the story.

I have to get the trade on that because someone at the LCS got confused and I only got the first issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"