Days of Future Past "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
stormororomunroewallpap.jpg

"By The Goddess!"
The Official Storm Debate

Even though Storm hasn't been officially added to Days Of Future Past, like, nearly 100% of the most active thread discussions in this forum continue to either be derailed or completely consumed by the topic. And I'm sure a number of you are getting sick of it coming up all the time. :funny: I guess it's best to go ahead and launch a spot for it. At least this way, whether Halle Berry or some other actress is cast--or not--we have a place to debate about the character's necessity in this film.

Stats:

storm-by-gregland.jpg

Other aliases: (current) None, (former--in Kenya and Tanzania) "Beautiful Windrider"
Identity: Known
Place of birth: New York City, New York
Marital status: Married
Group affiliation: (current) X-Men, (former) Leader of the Morlocks
First appearance: GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1
Height: 5 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 127 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: White
Strength level: Athlete
Flight speed: Subsonic (when propelled by winds)
Fighting skills: Excellent hand-to-hand combatant, trained by Wolverine

Known superhuman powers: Storm has the psionic ability to control the weather over limited areas. She can fly by creating winds strong enough to support her weight. Storm has limited immunity to extreme heat and cold.

Special limitations: Storm's psionic powers over the weather are affected by her emotions; hence, if she does not maintain control of her emotions, a fit of rage might induce a destructive storm. Also, Storm suffers from severe claustrophobia.

stormxmen3.jpg

The Scoop:
So the big hubbub all over the net and chatrooms is regarding whether Halle Berry, arguably the franchise's biggest female star, is going to appear in Days Of Future Past. The character has a serious role in the source material and X3 concluded with Storm taking the lead at X-Mansion as Headmistress with Xavier's blessing. However, when pressed about Halle Berry's return, Bryan Singer had this to say:

"I can't say. I don't know yet. And it's not necessarily a deal making aspect at all," he said. "I want to make sure it'll make sense. But I love working with her."

My thoughts? Halle Berry received critical acclaim for her portrayal opposite Tom Hanks in last year's Cloud Atlas and she has more films coming out shortly. So clearly her personal life is not getting in the way of her career.

Also, Singer is not stupid. Say what you want about him, but the man knows how to tell a story. Besides, he has already invested 2 of his own films with this character. While I don't believe he did the best job with developing Storm, he's already reunited everyone else (except Scott and Jean who are MIA). How could he explain a missing Headmistress but yet have Rogue (who sold out in X3) in there? I just think he's so much more smarter than this.

Bottom Line: I think Bryan knows that the Halle Berry/Storm situation is the most polarized subject of this entire franchise. Many love the actress. Many despise her. And NO actress generates more discussion consistently. Yet, almost everyone loves the character herself. So it's a quandary. I think Singer may be holding off on announcing Halle Berry because of these possibilities:

1.) He doesn't want any bad buzz this early in the film's production--and let's face it, announcing Halle Berry would create...hate to say it...a s***-storm of controversy. Pun absolutely intended.

2.) He wants to "soften the blow" by pairing the announcement with that of Famke and/or James and/or Rebecca altogether.

3.) He has no plans to cast Halle herself for reason #1 but intends on casting a "First Class" equivalent with another younger actress.

This whole, "I want to make sure she fits" thing is bullspit because the source material AND the existing franchise demands her involvement. Again, he *found a way* to include Anna Paquin who is completely unnecessary. This shouldn't even be a discussion....but it is.

x1hairnobangsscncp00165.jpg

Questions For Discussion:

1.) Should Storm Have A Role In The Next X-Men Film? Why Or Why Not?
2.) Which Younger Actress Could Be Cast As Storm Of The Past?
3.) Do You Think Bryan Singer Will Add The Character In Days Of Future Past?

^She'll definitely be back for pick ups and reshoots in February or March, unless she decides to give another kid a quick go, which would be unfortunate to say the least.

That's what I was hoping, but it may be too difficult depending on who else was in those scenes with her and what they planned on having her do. Let's hope not, though.

Well, if they do something like her flying in the sky (in front of a green screen) there probably wouldn't be any need to have the other actors on the set. Then they could just film her pregnant scenes interracting with the cast and have her action scenes could be just solo shots... if that makes any sense.

I'm sure Singer will do damage control on twitter soon, considering the reaction to Berry's comments.

What do you mean JP?

Personally, I'm super disappointed with what I'm hearing from Halle Berry. I mean, what's the f***ing point of having the character at all then? We already have Rogue. Do ALL of the heroines need to be passive in the cinematic adaptation of one of Marvel's most popular storylines? Total s***. :down

Perhaps Halle isn't clued into what the production has planned in terms of CGI and stuntwomen, etc. I can at least hope. :csad:

No. She already said in the interview that Bryan turned down that suggestion.

Smart man, that Singer.

If Storms is limited in action I would like to see Iceman, Rogue, and Colossus take out a sentinel by themselves. Iceman creating ice slides would be awesome.

Well, I just mean that Singer said he got a twitter not only to tease his films, but also to clarify anything that gets out that may not be true. Considering the bad reaction to Halle's comments, I wont be surprised if we get some sort of clarification from him. Filming starts Monday.. and I have a friend who lives in Montreal who says it begins tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if Bryan releases a Storm related image. Something that gets all the Storm fans hyped up again.

I guess Halle won't be repeating Tobey Maguire's line in Spider-Man 2: "My back... my back..."

Bryan just needs to tweet a pic, say like this one...

model-vanessa-veasley-slickforce-girl-harness-stunt-wire-hanging-alex-wen-stunts-nick-saglimbeni.jpg

And just say something like "Having a fun afternoon casting Storm's stuntwomen, I think I saw Hugh in the back".

That would calm some of us down.

Well, I just mean that Singer said he got a twitter not only to tease his films, but also to clarify anything that gets out that may not be true. Considering the bad reaction to Halle's comments, I wont be surprised if we get some sort of clarification from him. Filming starts Monday.. and I have a friend who lives in Montreal who says it begins tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if Bryan releases a Storm related image. Something that gets all the Storm fans hyped up again.

That would be a good idea. But I never expected a huge amount from Storm in this movie, partly due to its large cast, partly due to the focus on Magneto/Xavier, partly due to the (mis)treatment of Storm in previous films and partly due to the fact Halle was announced at such a late stage (which may or may not have been to do with her pregnancy).

A meaningful contribution to the plot would be as important as good action scenes. I must admit I never expected physical fighting anyway, but I did hope for at least one flight scene. We might still get one scene of her in the skies (stuntwoman on wires, Halle emoting/gesturing on greenscreen), then see her shot down by a Sentinel, then maybe she offers Rogue her powers as she lies injured (or even dying) or alternatively summons the full fury of the elements as a last resort while lying injured or leaning against a building clutching herself.

Fingers crossed. As we've seen most cinematic weather effects anyway, I'd be happy too if we actually saw some new stuff from others (Iceman in ice form with ice slides). Some of that might get more screentime if Storm's own contribution is a little reduced. So it should work out okay in the end.

why is it so important that singer posts a picture or says something about storm, its not that much of a big deal that singer has to reasure anyone, storm will be in the film thats all anyone needs to know

They ought to be able to harness the skills of a stuntwoman.

why is it so important that singer posts a picture or says something about storm, its not that much of a big deal that singer has to reasure anyone, storm will be in the film thats all anyone needs to know

It's a big deal, because one assumes there would be stunts, I don't expect her to do them, but at least someone, and if an interview suggests that there would be no stunts whatsoever and the part is being shaped to not include any type of action to accommodate the actress then I get scared. Plus Storm has always been a character that's been accused of not doing enough, so certainly this does not bode well. To clarify I think it's gonna be handled well, but a nice tweet to calm the masses goes a long way.

Maybe she's depowered?

How would that occur? Given her stance on the cure, she's hardly likely to have taken it herself. Nor would there be any more left after Phoenix's Alcatraz tantrum.

It's a big deal, because one assumes there would be stunts, I don't expect her to do them, but at least someone, and if an interview suggests that there would be no stunts whatsoever and the part is being shaped to not include any type of action to accommodate the actress then I get scared. Plus Storm has always been a character that's been accused of not doing enough, so certainly this does not bode well. To clarify I think it's gonna be handled well, but a nice tweet to calm the masses goes a long way.

what masses? i doubt there are masses, its like singer postin a picture and sayin so im ready to fix some **** from the previous movies just so fans can relax about that, its not a big deal they will make it work, plus storm hasnt done much action in the movies in the past so its no big deal whether or not that changes now

Last edited:
I Halle cant fly, we already know which co-star could use Storm power to fly

:)

Singer, there u have it. One problem, one solution = Fans happy

Then she's in a camp?? There's no other way to justifiably have Storm in the movie without action scenes...

Then she's in a camp?? There's no other way to justifiably have Storm in the movie without action scenes...

She could start to give one of the animated series' Storm's trademark speeches and get killed before she finishes it. ;)

She could start to give one of the animated series' Storm's trademark speeches and get killed before she finishes it. ;)

Storm: "Crack the heavens!" - dead -

Wolverine: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985