"By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 1

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JP

JP Smelly

But..

[​IMG]

2. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Sorry, everything there is drab, boxy, and unflattering.

3. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Knowing Louise, she'll put Halle in tarpaulin from one of the delivery trucks. lol

But it's likely Halle will be in a prison jumpsuit if they are shown in captivity, and then she'll have to return (after she's given birth) to film scenes they might use for the end of the movie where the fixed timeline is in place. Then Halle can wear something like the comic book Storm outfit that has the top and pants connected by a metal ring.

4. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Aww this must makes me wish DOFP had a good costumer like the AMAZING team that works on Mad Men.

5. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I want Tom Ford to work on the men's outfits but that's clearly not gonna happen.

Haha see! This guy! :oldrazz:

Always been a fan of that look. Make it happen!

6. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

Looks like a scene from a low-budget sitcom. I'm sorry, but you have two hunky actors and a gorgeous actress and all of them look like frumps here. Kate's hair looks like burnt noodles. Even the kid's outfit is lacking personality.

As a former physique and (to a limited extent underwear) model, I know I can be a bit overly critical but damn...I can't help it. I mean, look at Clark's suit: completely shapeless and unflattering for him. It's simply not realistic. In REAL life, people who hit the gym and take of their bodies wear tailored clothing that shows off their hard work in the gym. You would never know that Kate, James or Brandon had bodies judging by this s***. It doesn't even have to be "tight"--just TAILORED.

And everything is BROWN. No patterns or pops of color. Just boring as hell. And this is her signature in every film Bryan does with her.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  7. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Yup, agree completely.

Brandon's pants are unflattering and I think they're pleated?? Kate's shirt isn't tailored (even the sleeves are too long... that is just amateur hour), and is she wearing a vest? She must have dressed to match her sad hair. And James looks ok, but why is he in brown also??

8. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Answer to all these questions: it's a DC movie. :cwink:

9. Lightning Strykez!

Holy hell--look at the sleeves?!?!?!?!!!!! :eek:

And more brown and gray...no color or patterns to be seen. Maybe the budget is just severely limited. Perhaps by keeping ALL the wardrobes in brown they can just have the actors trade outfits and the audience would never notice...ya know, cutting corners for the budget.

I mean, apparently they couldn't even afford shoes for home girl walking on the right. They were like, "Gurl, you're just an extra, be glad you're gonna be in this movie. Now get your ass to walking in them socks!" :funny:

10. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

LOL!

I know I'm being super b-tchy, but after how sleek FC looked I don't want DOFP to go back to looking bland like the OT.

11. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

OMG, I was going to say the same thing when I looked at the pic again. Girl is straight up walking down the street in socks. That's gangsta.

12. Lightning Strykez!

[​IMG]

Crack the heavens! Remove this designer from our path! Repel her and deliver us!

Be Gooonnnee! LOL :funny:

13. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Are those socks or ankle length boots?

14. Lightning Strykez!

I think they're footies. LOL :down:p

15. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

Well, this explains it.

16. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Hahaha. I'm really sorry that I started this negative trend in the thread... the costuming in X1 through Origins (I know she didn't do X3, but I was still unimpressed) has just always been a sore subject for me.

When Louise was interviewed on the X1.5 DVD, she went on and on about her reasoning and rationale. She said that she was going for classic... where the designs couldn't be assigned to any era. Everything would be timeless. I remember my first reaction being, "oh great, designs we can hate no matter what year it is."

And over ten years later I still feel exactly the same way.

17. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Maybe in Superman Returns though, she was trying (but not succeeding) in evoking the look of the late 1930s when Superman first debuted. And maybe Routh's clothing isn't meant to fit or look tailored to hide his physique, so that he specifically DOESN'T look big built like Superman.

18. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

Lots of fashionistas on here apparently.

19. Lightning Strykez!

"Classic" my ass. Her characters basically look just like her personal styles in dress and grooming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Yea and the posting and shaming of Louise's looks is just taking it too far. :o Shame on you guys.

21. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

I very much think that's exactly what she was trying to achieve, but like you said... she didn't succeed. Louise goes for the timeless look, but she just doesn't have the taste or skill for the execution.

22. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

I thought Superman Returns was her best work. I thought everything looked great.

23. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

I don't think LS is shaming her looks. He's showing how she dresses herself as an example of her aesthetic. No one said anything about looks until you brought it up.

24. Lightning Strykez!

Not at all actually. But costuming is a HUGE element of making a film visually stunning and memorable. The X-Men franchise, especially when compared to some of the other CBM properties has just been kinda bland in this category.

Especially the women. I've noticed that in all of Bryan's films (where Louise is doing the costuming) the actresses look way more...well, almost masculinized compared to the way these women comport themselves off-camera.

That's why I said I already expect Storm to look bland and boring in DoFP, because when you look at Louise herself, it's not exactly a very feminine look she's chosen for herself. It's rather masculine. Nothing wrong with that...but notice that she is not a fan of wearing make-up either. So therefore, I am not shocked that the actresses under her management are never really dolled up or sexy looking.

25. Lightning Strykez!

Oh, come OFF it. :whatever:

She's an executive working on this production and all we're doing is drawing a correlation between her personal aesthetic and how they are translated through her work. Costume and fashion designers are artists. And art is tangible material eligible for a fair and honest critique.

Such constructive criticism is no different than that focused on directors who are fanboys (like Joss Whedon) or non-fanboys (like Michael Bay) and how their personal outlook affects their directorial output.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.