"By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 1

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Fashion aesthetic and physical appearance are not one and the same. The former is fair game because this is her job. No one is "shaming" the latter.

2. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

They look like socks to me. I mean...if they were boots how would you get them on? They look so tight and fitted to her actual foot.

3. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

Yeah... I get that. What I don't get is the vibe you describe at all. Hence, the comment.

4. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

Say what you will about her, but I've always liked how Mingenbach brings in elements from the X-Men's comic costumes into the characters' everyday wear--Rogue's green hood in X-Men, Cyclops and Jean in the museum, even Jubilee. All far better than the off the rack nonsense in The Last Stand.

5. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Halle's natural beauty has never really been displayed in the OT... much of it having to do with distracting wigs and bad costuming. If DOFP does go the prisoner route, it might be a chance to see Storm without all the fuss. Take this pic for example:

[​IMG]

Halle's look in a plain beach dress beats most of her looks in the OT. This would actually be a pretty sexy prisoner outfit!

6. Lightning Strykez!

What "vibe" are you referring to? You've lost me Mulholland.

7. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

In fairness, I didn't like the X3 designs at all haha. I've only liked FC.

But you're right, I did appreciate her effort. In that sense, at least it wasn't just a job to her and she took her craft seriously and put thought into it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. Lightning Strykez!

I disagree. I thought Judiana Makovsky (sp?) did a much better job of making the actresses especially look sexy and attractive. Everyone's garb looked so much more expensive! They wore clothing that actually FIT them...everything was tailored and sleek. The corsets, etc., all played up their physiques in a sophisticated way. It was the first time I felt Storm actually looked like a woman who was aware of her sex appeal.

And the men looked hot as hell too. Xavier's suits and necktie combos were effing GLORIOUS. And Logan's jeans were fitting him just right. When the X-Men were heading to the Blackbird (In X3's last act) several women in our theater audience screamed at that shot of his ass bouncing in the leather. LOL :p

It's about taking these beautiful actors you've been given, looking at the source material and donning them in fabrics that say the BEST about both.

9. Lightning Strykez!

Agreed. No one here is saying that Louise didn't put an effort into her fashion decisions. They were just unattractive decisions. :funny:

10. Mulholland-Jr

How it looks like a low-budget sitcom.

11. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I didn't bring it up. :doh:

12. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They'd have to make one a few sizes up though to accommodate her pregnancy bump.

And if she is in prison, the food can't be good there, and not much chance for exercise, so she won't be able to work off the pounds... which would explain why she could get fat. :oldrazz:

13. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Oh I am totally with LS on that one. I wouldn't say sitcom but definitely not expensive movie quality. But in regards to the OT X-Men movies... to me they have always looked like they were TV movies. Of course the special effects and stuff are great, but some of the sets look really fake and the clothing cheap. You can see the corners they cut (and I'm sure that's Bryan trying to stretch a budget, for which I guess I am grateful haha).

But just to clarify, I love X1 and X2. I accept the shortcomings and just want better for DOFP.

14. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Sorry, you did. Up until you said (and assumed) we were "shaming her LOOKS" LS had only been talking about her style. I guess "looks" can be interpreted in different ways.

15. Lightning Strykez!

Translation: cheap.

To illustrate:
    [​IMG]

Charles Xavier in 2000's X-Men with costume design by Louise Mingenbach.

[​IMG]

Charles Xavier in 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand with costume design by Judiana Makovsky.

[​IMG]

Charles Xavier in 2011's X-Men: First Class (forget the designer's name at the moment).

Notice the progression. With Louise's work, his suits are all dark, and not really fitted that well, and lacking color or real personality. Judianna's work showed a far more fashionable Xavier with pops of color and mixing and matching of patterns. In First Class, Xavier again had layers, rich textures and color variations. The latter two examples look like money. Louise's work looks cheap. And it's very possible that she had a smaller budget than the latter films, but then again even in X2, everyone still looked bland.

16. Mulholland-Jr

If you say so. :huh:

17. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Sorry I didn't. Please learn how to read. In that post of mine that you quoted, I quoted Duran Man (quoting a pic LS posted of Louise) saying simply "Well, this explains it."

How else should one interpret that other than making fun of someone's looks?

(PS. Word of the day: Quoted)

18. Lightning Strykez!

But that doesn't mean that Duran was slamming her looks. He was simply stating that her characters take after her personal aesthetic. Which is the point the rest of us were making as well.

19. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

Oh, no LS. EnDz0n3 is right. I was slamming her looks.:o

20. Lightning Strykez!

Shame on you!!!! :cmad:

:p

21. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Yet you chose to shame us all when you now say it was only in response to one user's comment.

Look, I'm not unreasonable, so I apologize if any of our comments seemed out of line to you. But just as you want me to learn to read, please also try give some people the benefit of the doubt when their comments are open to interpretation. We're not all hate-filled. And cut it out with the snarkiness.

22. Lightning Strykez!

Speak for yourself Josh. I truly hate those costumes. In fact, I am filled with hate for them. LOL :p

23. josh8

josh8 Well-Known Member

Hah! You know I hate those costumes too!

24. Lightning Strykez!

[​IMG]

25. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I guess there's no chance of the Giant Size X-Men Storm costume with Halle's pregnancy bump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.