Days of Future Past "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
She HAS to be in this movie. I'm gonna be incredibly disappointed if she isn't.

I don't care if she has zero character developement, or even fewer lines than in X1. I just have to see Storm hugging a student here, frying 14 Sentinels there, widening her eyes here, lifting her hands there. I know Bryan hates the character, that he doesn't get her, that he has had trouble on set with Halle Berry, but it's unfair to make it personal.

Storm has become the second most iconic X-men character for someone who isn't a comic book reader. When people think of X-Men, they think of Wolverine, Storm and Mystique.

She HAS to be in this movie...one of the reasons I just can't enjoy First Class as much as X2 is the fact it has no Cyclops, Storm, Jean or Rogue. THOSE are what I know as X-Men, not people like Banshee, Havok, Kitty, or even Beast if I'm to be honest.

Was she good in X2? I don't think so. But she still had amazing scenes, like Cerebro snowing and the tornado bonanza. THAT's all I ask for. That's all I need. Obviously character development and showing her as a true warrior would be amazing, but there's no hope from me. I don't expect that from Bryan, and that's ok to me.

And like I said, I don't care if she dies on the very first scene, as long as she gets 5 minutes of just her and Sentinels, going down like the true goddess she is.

This whole thing just reminds me of Cyclops in X3. Remember how he was supposed to be dead from the beginning and no one would even mention him, until the writers supposedly fought to give him some screen time?

OR Storm in Bryan's X3, which would be the same case. Storm wouldn't appear in his version...

I have this huge fear no one will even mention her...

1) YES! For the reasons everyone else is saying, she was the leader of the X-Men and headmistress of the school at the end of X3 and would make a seamless transition into this film, she would be one of the very few characters that would not need an explanation. And as has been seen, the general public (whether they love her or hate her) expect to see her in this movie. Bryan would have never been asked about Halle/Storm if audiences were not genuinely interested in seeing her return.

Leaving a character out because you did not like the actress' performance personally isn't justifiable when said actress (won an oscar after appearing in an X-Men movie) and has recently received critical acclaim for her work. Give Halle good material and she shines, give her crap and she acts like crap.

2) I don't know many young black actresses that could take on the role, maybe an unknown. I don't want a 70's Storm anyway, I prefer her older and tougher not scared and barely able to use her powers. Storm's needs to be the seasoned and experienced leader that the team needs to help them survive in the future.

3) He better, It isn't like her appearance in the movie is going to stop people from watching the film. Besides if she's garnering this much attention then perhaps she should appear.

Halle is the biggest female star of the original trilogy and the second (if not joint first) biggest female star of the entire X-Men franchise. Her exclusion will be noticed, when you place a character at the front of the poster for three X-Men movies her sudden disappearance hits you like a brick in the face.

I think you can write her out with cancer or something. Some kind of explanation. A sort of gung-ho last hoorah sort of fight in the future to kill her off would be better, and then they can bring back the younger version of her character later if the holocaust is prevented. We ain't going to have Cyke and Jean in this either. That said, bringing back Wolverine was another thing I could have done without, even though he is one of the main guys in the comic.

I don't think the future sequence should be more than an extended sequence. You need an opening credit scene. I don't know who'd narrate it. McKellan or Stewart, but maybe Halle could come back for at least that is she's already dead. Then you need a sequence featuring some of the old guns, like Ashmore and Paquin and maybe Cudmore. Send Kitty and Wolverine back somewhere in that sequence. But I think you can explain who died in an opening credit monologue.

28jhzde.jpg

KEKE PALMER FOR STORM!!!! I think she could play a younger storm very well!!

My Design btw

Welcome to the Hype Micha 1206. What a gorgeous manip, thanks for sharing. :cool:

lightning, I sent u a pm today, did u read it?

Leaving a character out because you did not like the actress' performance personally isn't justifiable when said actress (won an oscar after appearing in an X-Men movie) and has recently received critical acclaim for her work. Give Halle good material and she shines, give her crap and she acts like crap.

Why is it not justifiable? She brings the quality of the entire film down with her poor acting imo. It's not like she's receiving huge amounts of critical acclaim for her turn in Cloud Atlas.

Plus, she's also had 7 consecutive flops, disappointments, or unreleased films in a row so it's not like she has a fanbase (she's a tabloid celebrity not a movie star). She's even one of the only main cast who hasn't been in a hit since X3.

Many of the other actors had underwritten roles in the original trilogy but no one else gave such an awful performance. They should take her Oscar back!

lightning, I sent u a pm today, did u read it?

I'm just logging in. I have literally 2 dozen PMs so I haven't read all of today's messages yet. I will soon.

SterlingDee said:
Why is it not justifiable? She brings the quality of the entire film down with her poor acting imo.

You have a point there. I do think that this is a problem and may be a reason why Bryan may be hesitating to bring her back. Truth is, Halle was not the best choice to be cast for this character and poor decision-making 13 years ago is biting Bryan in his ass now. But that's what happens you attach an actress to Marvel Comic's arguably most recognizable heroine and don't really give a f*** about what you're doing. Those FOX studio heads completely underestimated the appeal of 2000's X1 and thought they wouldn't have a hit on their hands. But unfortunately, he can't just NOT have the character in Days Of Future Past now because Storm IS the most recognizable heroine.

There were so many capable black actresses that could have embodied the role fully (Beverly, Iman, Angela, hell, even Vivica A. Fox!). But instead of really investing the same amount of inspired casting in Storm as he did with Hugh Jackman/Patrick Stewart/Anna Paquin, etc., he just went for whatever was prettiest, most expedient and comfortably black.

As a result, he is truly in a mass produced f***ed up situation now. :funny:

SterlingDee said:
It's not like she's receiving huge amounts of critical acclaim for her turn in Cloud Atlas.

You're incorrect here. She's been consistently praised by critics for her work in that film, which was certified fresh on Rottentomatoes.com. Read the reviews for yourself.

SterlingDee said:
Plus, she's also had 7 consecutive flops, disappointments, or unreleased films in a row so it's not like she has a fanbase (she's a tabloid celebrity not a movie star). She's even one of the only main cast who hasn't been in a hit since X3.

That's another exaggeration. Everyone on this cast has had hits and misses since X-Men: The Last Stand. In fact, SEVEN of Hugh Jackman's last ten RT-rated films were rotten. Or have you forgotten Movie 43 (in which Halle also stars), Deception, Australia or that little gem X-Men Origins: Wolverine (which has a whopping 38% rotten rating)? Would you like to talk about Famke Janssen's filmography next? ;)

Next time, take care that you're standing outside the glass enclosure should you decide to throw stones. :cool:

SterlingDee said:
They should take her Oscar back

And yet, for as terrible as she is, she is one of only 2 original cast members that have an Oscar. God damn the Academy to hell, huh? :whatever:

Last edited:
Every day that passes without an announcement of Halle joining the film makes me think more and more that Storm wont be in this. If she is not I will be HIGHLY disappointed. And it will just be sad that none of the original movieverse X-men will likely be around. And by original I mean that we were introduced to and were X-men at the start of X1.

Agreed. I will be greatly disappointed if Storm is slighted in this film completely (past or future) because it will be glaringly obvious that this production is lazy when it comes to the character...that they really aren't trying to do what is right by their own franchise's past films, the source material or the fan's desires. :down

Honestly, I think a battle with the Sentinels will be boring as hell without Storm (and Cyclops). I watched Superman Returns last night and one thing struck me: Bryan is amazing with rich story-telling and character development. But he is NOT really one for big, epic action/fight scenes. He seems to shy away from them. X2 and especially X3 proved that Storm can be the most destructive long range. If he keeps her out of this it might be because he's somehow intimidated by really going "all out" with Storm vs. Sentinels. Ya know..."playing it safe." :csad:

At any rate, I'll be yawning my ass off in the theater--and that's if I decide to go see it.

Why is it not justifiable? She brings the quality of the entire film down with her poor acting imo. It's not like she's receiving huge amounts of critical acclaim for her turn in Cloud Atlas.

Many of the other actors had underwritten roles in the original trilogy but no one else gave such an awful performance. They should take her Oscar back!

i27mdz.gif

I just saw a TV show tonight called Death in Paradise with an actress who would be great for a younger Storm. (The show has been running for ages but I only just saw it!)

Her name is Sara Martins, she is a French actress and so speaks with a slightly exotic accent that also made me think of how I imagine Storm to sound.

Here she is. She's 35 but doesn't look it at all...

saramartins.jpg

saramartins3.jpeg

But a 35 year old Storm would be Halle Berry in that first X-men movie?

I want to see a live action Storm with the mohawk.

I kinda do too. It's hard look to pull off, but I expect it could be done tastefully onscreen. I'm not sure Halle would look good with one though. Perhaps another actress would. I think someone with a different kind of face would suit it better.

As for Halle/Storm coming back. I think it depends on the state of the X-men and the school in the future. If it's totally dystopian then you could easily have Storm dead already. However if the school is still functional in some way then it's arguably better to have Halle back as Storm because she was the only one in charge and keeping it together.

Though saying that we know that Patrick will be back and they could have him in charge again. Maybe they could even have Magneto leading the X-men in a dystopian future and we only see Patrick's Xavier in an alternative timeline at the end of the film. Who knows.

I doubt we would see Ian McKellen's leading the X-Men especially after what he did in X3. I could see him working with X-Men just like in X2, but as a leader that will give orders to Wolverine, Iceman, Rogue, I find it hard to imagine.

Dunno. If it's a dystopian future where mutants are being hunted by giant robots, I can see them turning to Magneto. All bets would be off I reckon. He's more a leader figure than Wolverine or Storm imo.

Dunno. If it's a dystopian future where mutants are being hunted by giant robots, I can see them turning to Magneto. All bets would be off I reckon. He's more a leader figure than Wolverine or Storm imo.

Im sure there would be conflict but yeah, Magneto is def someone the X Men are gonna need on their side.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Younger Storm

tumblr_m3iaddkWbA1qm33bro1_500.jpg

I love me some Gugu, but she radiates a warmth and innocence that I don't think is appropriate for Storm. Someone mentioned Yaya DaCosta and I think she has the right regal look and acting. At 30 she's probably too old though.

Everyone suggests Keke Palmer (whom I love as an actress). But if they're trying to connect these timelines...can you see her growing into Halle Berry? Shouldn't there be some sort of resemblance? I mean, this is believable....

1830484-xfc2_super.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"