Days of Future Past "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're making good points but I have to disagree with you here. Wolverine was the one to lead the team in the final battle. He was the one to rally the team at the end just before the battle and told them to "get together and hold the line"(giving orders) when they got to the prison.
I don’t know what you’re disagreeing with. I already admitted he’s the one to rally the team. And I pointed out why.

Storm’s never developed into a tactical leader in this franchise. She’s not supposed to be here. She’s the emotional center of the X-Men in X3. She’s the one who takes over the school. Not the de facto battle commander. Wolverine is the one who takes that role. They share leadership duties.

Here's the last battle I found on Youtube. Best quality I could get. Around the 2:24 mark is when he gives the orders like a leader.

I watched X3 yesterday. I know what’s in the film. Wolverine doesn’t really give orders to the X-Men at the beginning of the battle. He gives them to the soldiers.

All he says to the X-Men is “everybody get together”, and he's addressing both the X-Men AND the soldiers, which is why he says "everybody". It’s a “We’re here to fight with you, together” moment, solidifying Xavier’s dream for the X-Men. It's not a tactical order of any real importance, as you'll notice, the X-Men are already together and in the line. They all know what they need to do. He's just rallying them together.

And yes, he’s acting like a leader. Because he is being a leader.

They both were.

Both Storm and Wolverine develop into leaders in X3.

I'm sorry, but this just confirms it. You say she's complex, but doesn't have much depth. To me that equals a mess and bad writing. I'm glad you like this Storm, but i want better

This confirms what?

She IS a somewhat complex character. She has different parts to her character. She’s not VERY complex, which is why I said ”somewhat”. I said she doesn’t have much depth of character. Because she doesn’t. That doesn’t mean she cannot have a somewhat complex characterization.

I never said I liked everything about this Storm. I want a much better written and more fully fleshed out Storm, just like I’d like to see more complete, thorough characterizations of other characters, in this and other superhero franchises. But I like the good parts about what we got, and can recognize when they do good work adapting a character or presenting a concept, even if it’s not as much or as good of work as I might like to see.

LOL. The quality of the video is terrible, but I'm glad you posted it. If you continue watching, the video further demonstrates Wolverine's dominance over the rest of the team in the final battle, including Storm. Wolverine is the first X-Man they cut to when, one-by-one, the team notices the cure needles lying on the ground, as though indicating he is the one to first develop the plan to stop Magneto. Then, they cut to Beast. Then, Storm. This is followed by Wolverine saying, "we work as a team," while Storm parrots his earlier advice, noting that "the best defense is a good offense." Then, Wolverine, whose specialty is offense (as indicated the whole film), delegates each team member's task, instructing Bobby to take care of Pyro, Storm to provide cover, and Colossus to get him a strike. Finally, Wolverine distracts Magneto so that Beast can inject Magneto with the cure, while Storm is nowhere to be found.

I don’t know what the point of all this is. Yeah, Wolverine has a key role in the final battle. Wolverine is the main hero of this franchise. He has been in three films.

Wolverine saying “We work as a team” isn't him giving orders, it's him deferring to her earlier wishes VS trying to handle things himself (because he can't, in this situation). Showing he's learned from her example and the events of the film.

She responds by showing that she learned from him as well, deferring to his offensive expertise, and giving him control over the situation.

And yes, Wolverine develops a plan, just like he did in X-MEN at the torch. So?

Wolverine's not really giving orders during this sequence. He's sharing the offensive plan. He ASKS Bobby if he can take out his friend. He tells Storm that part of the plan is "cover". He's developing a plan and sharing it with the X-Men more than he's telling them what to do. Again, similar to what happened in X-MEN.

And then Wolverine basically acts as bait while Beast stops Magneto.

Storm isn’t “nowhere to be found”. She is getting everyone to safety. They're all fleeing Phoenix, who is taking the island and everyone on it apart.

Last edited:
There Is little dudt a lot of straight wouldn't say no to halle.

But,seriously If Storm makes the cut some need to be prepared for a limited amont of screentime for storm.

I also saw Berry in Cloud Atlas recently. She was great.

Time for Storm's DOFP announcement tbh. I want to see her handled better, but I think Halle can pull it off.

Just watched Cloud Atlas today and I agree she gave a strong performance in the film. She was subtle in parts and didn't overact which just helped to resonate whatever emotion she was conveying in a naturalistic way to audiences. HB has really matured as an actress over the years and it shows that when she has a good script she shines!

I think she gave the second best performance in the movie imo. The first going to Bae Doona and the third best going to Jim Broadbent.

I certainly hope Halle is announced soon. One curious think about her roles in CA is that she works with a dialect coach and manages to give a consistent dialect/accent for all her characters I mean can you imagine speaking in that future speak and both she and Tom pull it off. Also her Spanish was immaculate and delivered in such a speed you'd think she wouldn't be able to keep up. I'm having hopes of her perfecting a consistent African accent if they decide to go that route.

And yes, Halle was amazing in Cloud Atlas. It was the first time (in a long time) I actually was forced to give her props for her acting. It's clear that the director and producers on that film really wanted to utilize her to the full. Just shows what can be done with good writing and direction...she has the ability.

Just watched Cloud Atlas today and I agree she gave a strong performance in the film. She was subtle in parts and didn't overact which just helped to resonate whatever emotion she was conveying in a naturalistic way to audiences. HB has really matured as an actress over the years and it shows that when she has a good script she shines!

I think she gave the second best performance in the movie imo. The first going to Bae Doona and the third best going to Jim Broadbent.

I certainly hope Halle is announced soon. One curious think about her roles in CA is that she works with a dialect coach and manages to give a consistent dialect/accent for all her characters I mean can you imagine speaking in that future speak and both she and Tom pull it off. Also her Spanish was immaculate and delivered in such a speed you'd think she wouldn't be able to keep up. I'm having hopes of her perfecting a consistent African accent if they decide to go that route.

I really want to see Cloud Atlas. If there were press screenings, I missed them, so I shall be heading to the cinema. It looks an interesting concept that's a refreshing change from the usual action blockbuster.

I don’t know what the point of all this is.

Really? Because I think it's pretty obvious what the point of it is.

I agree with most of the stuff you said The Guard... but there is one point I must disagree on. Whether Wolverine has more experience in battle or not it should have been Storm leading the team...
It was just another opportunity for the writers to push Wolverine to the forefront again.

Pay attention to the final battle. It was her leading the team.

...I have to disagree with you here. Wolverine was the one to lead the team in the final battle. He was the one to rally the team at the end just before the battle and told them to "get together and hold the line"(giving orders) when they got to the prison.

My post furthers this contention, by providing additional evidence.

Also, if you're going to change someone's post, when quoting it, at least have the deceny to highlight the change. Or just don't do it at all.

And yes, Wolverine develops a plan, just like he did in X-MEN at the torch. So?.

So that helps illustrate my point...

Wolverine's not really giving orders during this sequence. He's sharing the offensive plan. He ASKS Bobby if he can take out his friend. He tells Storm that part of the plan is "cover". He's developing a plan and sharing it with the X-Men more than he's telling them what to do. Again, similar to what happened in X-MEN..

If calling it "sharing the offensive plan" works for you, great. He demonstrates better overall sharing of offensive plans than Storm, starting with the order, "Hold this line!" and ending when he instructs her to leave the island. Also, he doesn't tell Storm part of the plan is "cover," as though it's up for discussion. Is it similar to X-Men? Sure, with more acquiescence. Does that negate the initial point? No.

Storm isn’t “nowhere to be found”. She is getting everyone to safety. They're all fleeing Phoenix, who is taking the island and everyone on it apart.

In that instance, Storm is simply not present. She isn't getting everyone to safety because no one is fleeing, as Phoenix hasn't done anything yet.

Last edited:
Really? Because I think it's pretty obvious what the point of it is.

Whining about Wolverine’s role in this franchise some more?

I mean, you used the term "dominates', like he's fighting with them or something. He's working as a team, and he's the hero of the piece, so yes, he gets the most screentime, but in the context of the story, A, this is nothing new, and B, this has nothing to do with whether Storm is also portrayed as a leader.

So that helps illustrate my point...

Which is…

If calling it "sharing the offensive plan" works for you, great. He demonstrates better overall sharing of offensive plans than Storm, starting with the order, "Hold this line!" and ending when he instructs her to leave the island. Also, he doesn't tell Storm part of the plan is "cover," as though it's up for discussion. Is it similar to X-Men? Sure, with more acquiescence. Does that negate the initial point? No.

Yes. He does. Because that is his role in this franchise, and in this film.

And in the film, he is shown to be BETTER at that aspect of battle than she is. The film shows that she is willing to accept this.

It is not Storm’s role, it is Logan’s.

If your argument is “Storm wasn’t giving orders”, then no, she wasn’t.

I don't really care, because the orders Logan gives aren't really all that brilliant. He serves as a cheerleader to the Army and the X-Men more than anything else. And the remainder of his "orders" are vague statements about which X-Man should take on which element of the battle, but he's hardly ordering them around without considering their feelings on the matter.

I’m starting to think you, like several others here, seem to think a leader has to be giving tactical orders or never takes a suggestion from someone else to be considered a leader. Not so.

If your issue is that Storm wasn’t giving orders and wasn’t the only leader, then no, Storm wasn’t giving orders and wasn’t the only leader. But that’s not the issue people are presenting. People are telling me Storm was not portrayed as a leader, period, then when I point out she was, they are trying to split hairs about “just how much of a leader she was”.

In that instance, Storm is simply not present. She isn't getting everyone to safety because no one is fleeing, as Phoenix hasn't done anything yet.

“Nowhere to be found” has an accepted meaning. It means “They cannot be found”.

It doesn’t mean “They’re not in the scene.” It means “No one knows where they
are as they are difficult to find”.

We know where she is, in the context of the story. We know where everyone is. Fleeing Phoenix.

I think we are going ti have to agree to disagree on this matter or we will be arguing till the cows come home.:yay:

just recently watched Serenity and man Gina Torres would of been one amazing storm she was very imposing,commanding voice and presence,and quite tall as she stands at 5'10 and just has a much stronger intimidating look than halle and back in 2000 she was only 30
Zoe+Firefly.jpg

Whining about Wolverine’s role in this franchise some more?

Or simply sharing an opinion contrary to yours...

Whining about Wolverine’s role in this franchise some I mean, you used the term "dominates', like he's fighting with them or something

I'm sorry it seems that way, but maybe it's because you have your words confused.

I’m starting to think you, like several others here, seem to think a leader has to be giving tactical orders or never takes a suggestion from someone else to be considered a leader.

Well, you would be wrong.

If your issue is that Storm wasn’t giving orders and wasn’t the only leader, then no, Storm wasn’t giving orders and wasn’t the only leader. But that’s not the issue people are presenting. People are telling me Storm was not portrayed as a leader, period, then when I point out she was, they are trying to split hairs about “just how much of a leader she was”.

That is not what I am telling you. Storm is a leader. I simply don't think she's the one doing much leading during the final battle.

“Nowhere to be found” has an accepted meaning. It means “They cannot be found”.

It doesn’t mean “They’re not in the scene.” It means “No one knows where they are as they are difficult to find”.

We know where she is, in the context of the story. We know where everyone is. Fleeing Phoenix.

You either need to read my post again, or watch the movie again. No one is fleeing Phoenix at the moment I am talking about. Absolutely no one. If Storm is fleeing Phoenix, then she is the the only person running away from her, and I'm sure you don't mean that.

I'm sorry it seems that way, but maybe it's because you have your words confused.

You said:

If you continue watching, the video further demonstrates Wolverine's dominance over the rest of the team in the final battle, including Storm.

I don’t think “dominance over the rest of the team” is the appropriate term for what happens in the final battle. They’re not fighting with each other. They’re not even struggling for power with each other. Wolverine flat out shows that he was willing to defer to the way Storm wanted to handle things, by working as a team. And I don’t consider “mutual teamwork”, a group of people “being dominated”.

Wolverine dominates the screenttime, sure. But myself, I think it’s kind of telling that Wolverine essentially becomes the bait instead of the main offensive tactic in those final moments. That’s when he becomes a true team player.

That is not what I am telling you. Storm is a leader. I simply don't think she's the one doing much leading during the final battle.

Neither do I. I’ve never said Storm is doing a lot of leading there. Heck, Wolverine doesn’t really do a lot of leading in the final battle, either. He rallies the troops and the X-Men, and then has like a couple seconds of putting together a plan.

You either need to read my post again, or watch the movie again. No one is fleeing Phoenix at the moment I am talking about. Absolutely no one. If Storm is fleeing Phoenix, then she is the the only person running away from her, and I'm sure you don't mean that.

Finally, Wolverine distracts Magneto so that Beast can inject Magneto with the cure, while Storm is nowhere to be found.

Oh, you were referring to that part. I misread. My apologies. Storm was still using her powers to give them cover at that point. There’s still cover happening onscreen while Colossus, Beast and Wolverine are acting to distract and take out Magneto.

But she’s still not “nowhere to be found”. Storm’s whereabouts are the same they were before. She’s near the battle, using her powers, and her presence is felt, in the form of the "cover" she provides, which is quite clearly onscreen. Iceman’s not directly involved in that sequence either, but he quite recently had played his part. They all did.

If Storm makes it in this and I mean the adult Storm played by Halle Berry and gets to fight sentinels, (not the barely developed powers teenage storm played by whoever) then what weather powers that we haven't seen before would you like to see.

For me I feel that one power we haven't seen of Storm yet is hailstones, like in MvC3 when she throws ice bolts at her opponents. I definitely want to see that. I know it encroaches on Iceman's abilities a little bit but I still want to see it. One place they could have added it in X-Men the last stand is where the deleted scene of storm creating a wave used to be. I mean Bret Ratner said he cut that scene because Storm was using lightning to defeat the enemies and that felt repetitive but I kept thinking if they had let her create hailstones, either the dagger shaped ones ala MvC3 or large hail rocks, it wouldn't have been a visually appealing scene. It also would have given Storm something to do in that scene instead of just fighting Callisto.

If Storm makes it in this and I mean the adult Storm played by Halle Berry and gets to fight sentinels, (not the barely developed powers teenage storm played by whoever) then what weather powers that we haven't seen before would you like to see.

For me I feel that one power we haven't seen of Storm yet is hailstones, like in MvC3 when she throws ice bolts at her opponents. I definitely want to see that. I know it encroaches on Iceman's abilities a little bit but I still want to see it. One place they could have added it in X-Men the last stand is where the deleted scene of storm creating a wave used to be. I mean Bret Ratner said he cut that scene because Storm was using lightning to defeat the enemies and that felt repetitive but I kept thinking if they had let her create hailstones, either the dagger shaped ones ala MvC3 or large hail rocks, it wouldn't have been a visually appealing scene. It also would have given Storm something to do in that scene instead of just fighting Callisto.

Yes, we've seen most of the 'cinematic' power displays like lightning, tornadoes, fog, blizzard. The tidal wave was cut from X3 so they could re-use it, if it was better executed. Hailstones would be good - not 100 per cent sure about hailstones shaped like daggers.

7hNa51B.jpg

Seeing this image made me think it would be awesome if Quvenzhané Wallis played a young pickpocket Storm in a flashback of her and Xavier's first meeting.

I think it would be nice if a closer/fonder relationship was established between Ororo and Xavier, because honestly they haven't shown her to have a significantly meaninful relationship with anyone really.

oh man... Gina Torres WOULD be a good storm...
She would have made a great Storm in terms of stature and presence, no doubt. But with the white hair and costuming (really there's no nice way to put this and I stress that I think she is a beautiful woman), she would have looked... like a drag queen.

She would have made a great Storm in terms of stature and presence, no doubt. But with the white hair and costuming (really there's no nice way to put this and I stress that I think she is a beautiful woman), she would have looked... like a drag queen.

Gina definitely has presence, etc, but she has strong features that I don't think look like Storm and might not suit having a white wig on top! Storm is more exotic, delicate, defined, with softer features. The comic book character was originally called Black Cat or something like that, and Storm does indeed look somewhat feline in the face...

Singer says that in addition to Hugh Jackman, who's returning as Wolverine, former X-Men castmembers Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Shawn Ashmore, Anna Paquin and Ellen Page will all be back from Days of Future Past, which Singer calls the "biggest" X-Men film yet.

So what about Halle Berry and Rebecca Romijn, who played Storm and Mystique respectively?

"It depends on how it works out," Singer said. "I loved working with Halle, so all I can say is we'll see what happens."

http://uk.eonline.com/news/392634/h...ast-director-talks-quot-biggest-quot-film-yet

Sounds like the ball is in Berry's court.

I want Rebecca back, personally. Unlikely, I know.

It sounds optimistic, but "we'll see what happens" is another non-answer from Singer. It's either a done deal and he's waiting to announce, they're in talks, or it's not happening at all.

There's also a chance that Singer could want to keep things secret, like if Scott, Jean and Storm are all alive and well at the end of DoFP in an alternate timeline to X3 and it leads into another film.

7hNa51B.jpg

Seeing this image made me think it would be awesome if Quvenzhané Wallis played a young pickpocket Storm in a flashback of her and Xavier's first meeting.

I think it would be nice if a closer/fonder relationship was established between Ororo and Xavier, because honestly they haven't shown her to have a significantly meaninful relationship with anyone really.

Yup! And a flashback scene of young Storm meeting Professor X would be enough for me. I don't think its really a must that FOX release a movie about the early days of Storm, Jean and Cyclops with the X-Men.

And Gina Torres doesn't feel like a movie actress to me. I've seen her in a lot of TV shows and I feel like if she portrayed Storm, it would feel like she's portraying Storm in a made for TV movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"