The Winter Soldier CA:TWS "Guess the Plot" Thread (Spoilers?)

TJByrum

Captain America Fan
Reaction score
Synopsis (From Wikipedia):
Two years after the events of The Avengers,[2] Steve Rogers resides peacefully in Washington, D.C., struggling to adapt to contemporary society. However, after a S.H.I.E.L.D. compatriot is assailed, Rogers becomes entangled in a mystery that may endanger the globe. Together with Natasha Romanoff, Captain America attempts to uncover the growing machination while fending off hired hit men. When the entire scheme is discovered, Captain America and the Black Widow must recruit the aid of the Falcon and soon encounter an unanticipated and powerful adversary — the Winter Soldier.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America:_The_Winter_Soldier
(Character bios can also be found in the above link)

The point of this thread is to guess what you think the plot/movie will be like, using info from the trailers and synopsis.

I think the movie will start off with Cap, Widow, and Grillo doing a night mission on the boat. Here, Cap meets and battles Batroc the Leaper. From here, lots of drama, including Cap being at odds with Pierce and Fury. Finally, Winter Soldier shoots and wounds someone, so Cap gives chase in that building, until Winter Soldier throws his shield back and gets away. Cap and Widow visit the wounded man in the hospital and he later dies of his gunshot. Winter Soldier's next hit is Nick Fury, play out the highway battle/fight, where Fury is critically injured and goes underground, placing Cap in his place. Pierce then gets SHIELD agents, who are secretly HYDRA, including Grillo, to try and kill Cap, who manages to escape. Cap, learning who the Winter Soldier is and who Pierce really is, decides to recruit the Falcon, steals his WWII costume from a museum, and leads a final battle against the Winter Soldier, including the three-way Helicarrier battle...

I agree that it'll open with a "prelude" mission with Cap, Widow and Rumlow against Batroc and his Brigade (incl. Machete) on a Roxxon Oil tanker. Dunno if that will play into the larger plot or just be one of those 007 style intro pieces, but we'll see. If it ties in, then I'd guess Batroc is HYDRA as well.

We then go through a lot of "downtime," action-wise, as Cap meets Pierce and the lovely Sharon Carter (who isn't identified by her real name initially), befriends Sam Wilson, gets pretty friendly with Natasha, and buddies up with Brock Rumlow. There's a lot of "fish out of water" adjustment comedy/drama going on in this section with Steve as the "soldier out of time." Also, political tensions are building within SHIELD, as former friends Fury and Pierce begin to clash on policy and strategy issues. Steve begins to feel misgivings and mistrust towards SHIELD, and senses that all is not right in the hallowed halls of the Triskelion.

Out of nowhere, a super-powered assassin rises with a team of mercenaries and carries out a major hit against Nick Fury, in a spectacular running gun battle through the streets of DC, and very nearly succeeds in his assignment. Fury is hospitalized, and Hill takes over at SHIELD. The assassin(s) isn't through with Nick Fury yet, and comes after him again in the hospital to try to finish the job. Cap and Black Widow are able to stop him, but Fury and Steve agree that it's best for Fury to lay low and pretend to have died in, I dunno, an explosion or something at the hospital. Yeah, it's TDK all over again, but what are ya gonna do. :shrug:

So Cap and Widow put on their detective caps and recruit Sam Wilson to their Bloodhound Gang. They try to track down this mystery assassin, learn more about this Winter Soldier, dig deeper and find out that HYDRA has quietly re-emerged in the modern world and has infiltrated the highest levels of SHIELD, government, and world power. As they pry farther, they find secrets that date back all the way to WWII, with some very familiar names and faces from Steve's past popping up in unusual places. HYDRA has basically continued unchecked from the days of Red Skull, with the traditions carried on by men like Arnim Zola and Baron Von Strucker.

Having gotten too close to the truth, Cap, Widow and Falcon become the hunted themselves. Even former friends and associates, like Brock Rumlow, are trying to kill him. The ever-widening conspiracy envelops the heroes at every turn, culminating in a final climactic battle which will pit Steve against his closest friend from the past. Once he "turns" Bucky back and deprograms the brainwashing, together they're able to unmask Alexander Pierce as the brains behind the HYDRA conspiracy. (I have no idea who Pierce will really be; I just know there's plenty of viable options there, and he most definitely will be a recognizable comic-book archvillain from Cap's mythology.)

But unmasking isn't the same as defeating the enemy. I don't think there's a happy ending here. In keeping with the 70s political thriller vibe the Russos have said they're aiming for, I suspect it ends on a down note, with the villains still in charge. I suspect that HYDRA will "out" themselves at the movie's end, and we'll essentially see HYDRA holding the world hostage. The movie ends with Cap realizing that the only way to win is with the Avengers as their own unit; and so he rallies the Avengers one more time, even enlisting the aid of some emerging superheroes, and prepares for war against his oldest enemies, and against the deadliest weapon in their arsenal....

....a robot called ULTRON.

1.I think we´ll see TWS and some connection to TFA before we see much of the other stuff. It could start with explanations of what happened to Bucky that day, maybe this first part ends with us seeing TWS in that lab to acknowledge what became of him just after he "died" that day.

This would be it.
Wnnu4e.png

2. We get to see what has happend to the other WW2 solider, Cap. It starts with us seeing him working for SHIELD doing that night mission. That mission starts out as one where you can be a little humoristic because of the lack of seriousness. But it ends with more questions than answers as well as turns out to be more serious than anticipated. Basically I think it will lead to information that makes Cap and maybe Fury suspect infiltration.

3. In light of what has happend, Cap starts questioning Fury and Shields methods and at first Fury is like, well this is how things are done these days. We neutralize before it happens. Cap has a good ol´ hunch though in addition to the fact that he doesn´t like how things are being done at Shield. This is the part where Cap starts digging in his missions and the more he searches and finds, the more he gives to Fury. Fury eventually tells him to keep both eyes opened.

4. Fury is about to make a move, and he´s also the last thing standing in the way of the operation of controlling Shield, or bringing it down.

So as Fury is about to do something gamechanging because of what he and Cap or Widow has found during either that night mission or the one where they kiss undercover, or something else, they send TWS to bring Fury down. What he has to give to the president/council would destroy Hydra´s plans, thus forcing them to send their WS in broad daylight to stop the transport of him to the council/president. Ofc Cap and Widow are there to guard Fury. This picture is when poop hits the fan for the first time. There are explosions, chaos and Cap barely manages to keep Fury alive. However, the information/evidence was stolen or the attempt on Fury´s life (which then would have been the objective), failed. This is btw happening in the same fight as TWS punches Cap´s shield.
_41Cip.png

5. Widow explains to him that there are myths as for who this elit solider might be. Maybe there is a scene where TWS sort of looks at Steve and like stares at him for a while, which also makes Steve wonder. Anyways she says that he´ll never find him/the ghost. Despite that (we all know Cap is stubborn enough to try and find him), at a later occasion, they do in fact manage to encounter him and this time he´s also undercover but Cap runs after him. I´m guessing he and Widow have a lead they follow up thx to Fury who is fine but looks like he just taken a beating. Eventually they find the ones who tried to kill Fury. This is very fuzzy, yes but I can´t know what I haven´t seen so.

Check out his different undercovcer clothes in this one anyhow, also notice it´s dark outside, it´s gotta be at a different occasion that the broad daylight event:
6. So I´ve been giving this some thought. Why would Fury be operated on if he looks well here?
bmc_JI.png
I guess TWS isn´t done with him just after the crash but Cap comes to his aid. So he gets operated on and survived. Could Fury die later during this movie? This would make it possible for Hill to take over until it´s revelead in AoU that it was only a LMD that needed to die so that he could work in peace, I mean they tried to kill him in broad daylight, pretty sure you´d want to fake your death and work in the shadows. Come on!

So what´s a LMD? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Model_Decoy

7. All this is why Cap takes over Shield. Fury is damaged and has to prepare his "death" in secret, so he can´t lead. People therefore start listening to him instead of Fury. This is when the elevator scenes takes place. The bad guys now turn their attention to Cap. There is no Nick Fury to double dare them this time, so why not "do it" in the elevator.

8. I´m only specualting but now might be the time when Shield goes to war against Cap, Falcon, Widow etc? Before this war he holds his little speach that we see him do as he leans over that table. This might also be when he says "everything goes". He is going to war and what he does, is that he recruit people he trusts and use his more original suit to show he is his own man fightning for what´s right, not a Shield solider. More like a captain leading a team towards what´s right, or against what´s wrong. Something tells me this film is a lot about Cap questioning the new world with his old ways of seeing things. In a way that´s what he brings to the world, more honesty, more justice and so on.

I have no idea who or what is fighting the infiltration; who the opponent will be for the last battle. Is it the "legit" part of the Shield organization vs the Hydra/Aim part of it?
I have a question for you though. Where does Pierce come in? Could this be pierce at the front? And if so, wouldn´t this be "proof" of his involvement with TWS? (Look at the walls)
9w3O-F.png
7W_CeH.png

Let me know what you think!
Damn you OP, this took me half an hour to write hehe :)
In response to cheerokesam. This is also the ending I see happening: "I suspect that HYDRA will "out" themselves at the movie's end, and we'll essentially see HYDRA holding the world hostage. The movie ends with Cap realizing that the only way to win is with the Avengers as their own unit; and so he rallies the Avengers one more time, even enlisting the aid of some emerging superheroes, and prepares for war"

Last edited:
@Mightyally: Not sure if you know, but in one of the TV-spots I think it has Pierce in that room with the Winter Soldier, kneeling down and telling him "You've helped shaped the century; and now, we're going to need you to do it one last time."

Or something along that route.

^Interesting. I better watch them! Generally, how do you feel about my post?

I just changed it a little since I just realized Cap talks about TWS when Fury gets opereated on. So that scene can´t happen in the end of the movie. I mean, we have several indications that Mr Jackson is indeed alive after the surgery and that the whole elevator thing takes place after Fury is almost killed. So it´s either someones else that dies during that Fury assasination or someone dies later on which could be Fury faking his death.

Last edited:
I think one of the earliest scenes will be Steve and Peggy reuniting, possibly set soon after the avengers and a couple of years before the main events of this movie. They catch up a bit, and Peggy tells him he has to move on.

After that, we get Steve meeting Sam while jogging, before Natasha picks Steve up for work. We next meet Steve's shield team, including Rumlow, on the mission on Batrocs boat, which concludes when Steve fights Batroc.

Beyond that, I have little idea.

I think the movie will end on a bittersweet note.

Bucky is Bucky again, Steve finds a new friend in Sam, and HYDRAs plans are detailed, but SHIELD is deemed too corrupt and is decommissioned. Fury has no choice but to go on the run, and some remnant of HYDRA move forward with new plans.

I really hope Cap doesn't loose. It'd be a bad thing to do just for the sake of the Avengers.

Last edited:
The film begins with cap and rumlow taking down batroc. Cap goes to shield base where fury and pierce are having an argument. Fury leaves and cap meets pierce, who says cap inspired him. cap asks what him and fury were arguing about and pierce tells him to leave. as he goes home on his motorcycle he spots furys car getting shot by winter soldier and he fights to protect fury. winter soldier gets away and fury dies. cap wants revenge so he asks pierce for permisson to hunt winter soldier down, but pierce says no. cap assembles widow and falcon to help an illegal search, and as cap is leaving to start the search he is attacked by rumlow in the elevator. he gives rumlow a severe beating and outruns shield security. him and widow go to washington dc to pick up falcon but they are arrested by shield. they are taken to shield base where cap is taken underground, put in winter soldiers chair, and is tortured severely by rumlow and pierce. pierce reveals himself as the person who hired winter soldier, who was programmed by dr. zola. in order to break caps spirit, pierce has rumlow kidnap peggy and take her to the chamber, where she is shot and killed right in front of caps eyes. cap screams and is rescued by fury, who faked his death. cap and fury go to furys hideout where cap decides to rescue widow and falcon. he steals his old suit from the smithsonian and him and fury, with the help of sharon carter, steal one of the many mini helicarriers. war starts and cap saves falcon and widow, tells them to suit up, and breaks into pierces safehouse. rumlow attacks cap but cap defeats him, and in order to break caps spirits even more... pierce has winter soldier take off his mask and reveal himself as bucky. cap has no choice but to fight bucky to defend himself. cap knocks bucky out with the help of widow and burns pierces face. pierce is revealed to be red skull so cap mercilessly kills him to stop hydra from taking over shield... but little does he know hydra has already taken over shield. cap asks fury what him and skull were arguing about earlier... and fury says something called ultron.

^ Ultron-5, have you seen the film or are you just speculating what you think the plot will be?

HYDRA running SHIELD sounds too much like the plot of GI JOE 2.

I think one of the earliest scenes will be Steve and Peggy reuniting, possibly set soon after the avengers and a couple of years before the main events of this movie. They catch up a bit, and Peggy tells him he has to move on.

After that, we get Steve meeting Sam while jogging, before Natasha picks Steve up for work. We next meet Steve's shield team, including Rumlow, on the mission on Batrocs boat, which concludes when Steve fights Batroc.

Beyond that, I have little idea.

I think the movie will end on a bittersweet note.

Bucky is Bucky again, Steve finds a new friend in Sam, and HYDRAs plans are detailed, but SHIELD is deemed too corrupt and is decommissioned. Fury has no choice but to go on the run, and some remnant of HYDRA move forward with new plans.

I really hope Cap doesn't loose. It'd be a bad thing to do just for the sake of the Avengers.

I don't see that happening mainly due to the TV show.

The TV show really concerns the six main characters rather than SHIELD, really, its a Whedon brand show set in the MCU.

So I could see Team Coulson deciding to continue to operate autonomously.

The TV show really concerns the six main characters rather than SHIELD, really, its a Whedon brand show set in the MCU.

So I could see Team Coulson deciding to continue to operate autonomously.

But wouldn't they still need resources in order to keep doing their work? The plane, the labs, the satellite access? Plus, the show IS called Agents of SHIELD.

But wouldn't they still need resources in order to keep doing their work? The plane, the labs, the satellite access? Plus, the show IS called Agents of SHIELD.

A common trope of spy fiction is for the rogue agent(s) to be good enough to get their own resources, with access to hidden funds and secret facilities that not even their former superiors know about.

Kind of like Nick Fury after secret war. He was fired from SHIELD and made a fugitive, but he's been routinely shown to have his own smaller "SHIELD" on the side and didn't slow down, much.

Team Coulson might opt to keep referring to themselves as SHIELD out of habit, or because they believe in what they thought SHIELD stood for and are trying to reclaim that after it turned out SHIELD stood for HYDRA.

It is not a perfect scenario, but I really, really don't want to see Steve loose in this movie.

Having SHIELD disbanded is just the thing to have a lasting impact on the MCU, while still qualifying as a victory for Steve and co.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"