Cable Cord Cutters Thread: Sling, Hulu, YouTube TV, Netflix, and more!

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
So my parents are about to cut the cord as their ISP now offers a fast enough internet connection for it to not be a hassle for them. So I was wondering which one to get them. I looked into Sling and was confused as there seems to be two websites with their packages (I believe the one in a dark theme is their older one) that lists Sling Blue and add-on packages we can have. So the Sling Blue package is $25 plus $10 for the general add-on with Lifestyle, Comedy, Kids, and News extra. But I'm not sure if that's still the case cause when I go to their website (the white theme one) it appears I have to purchase a Sling Orange and Blue together which $40.

Well we tried Sling, but no Fox News so Hulu Live. My mother is blind and I helped her get a Fire TV to use Alexa to control it. She complained that you can't just change the channel by going up and down. I didn't think any of them did until I discovered Pluto TV which can do that and is also free. I don't understand why Hulu Live cannot operate the same way.

Well we tried Sling, but no Fox News so Hulu Live. My mother is blind and I helped her get a Fire TV to use Alexa to control it. She complained that you can't just change the channel by going up and down. I didn't think any of them did until I discovered Pluto TV which can do that and is also free. I don't understand why Hulu Live cannot operate the same way.
Playstation Vue has channels you can scroll through, I don't know if it can be controlled via voice on any devices or not though. It does include Fox News though.
(Looks like you might be able to? Now Alexa on Fire TV Can Control Hulu, PlayStation Vue, CBS All Access, and More)

have you looked into Pluto?
Yes I love Pluto, especially after Viacom bought it. I get Nick, MTV, TV Land, and VH1 is coming soon. But that pesky Fox News is what they want.

So my parents are about to cut the cord as their ISP now offers a fast enough internet connection for it to not be a hassle for them. So I was wondering which one to get them. I looked into Sling and was confused as there seems to be two websites with their packages (I believe the one in a dark theme is their older one) that lists Sling Blue and add-on packages we can have. So the Sling Blue package is $25 plus $10 for the general add-on with Lifestyle, Comedy, Kids, and News extra. But I'm not sure if that's still the case cause when I go to their website (the white theme one) it appears I have to purchase a Sling Orange and Blue together which $40.
Personally, I like YouTube TV.

Playstation Vue has channels you can scroll through, I don't know if it can be controlled via voice on any devices or not though. It does include Fox News though.
(Looks like you might be able to? Now Alexa on Fire TV Can Control Hulu, PlayStation Vue, CBS All Access, and More)

Personally, I like YouTube TV.
I plan to try these next. I liked Hulu Live, but personally didn't care for the channel lineup for the price they charge. For the same price I get over a 100 channels with Sling.

My major gripe with Sling is there is only one local station and that's NBC. They recommend an antenna for CBS, FOX, and ABC, but we can only get NBC with an outdoor one. :shrug: You get all the locals with Hulu and YouTube TV.

Right now we're using Fubo and it is like the Sling Blue package but with TCM and Nick. Plus you get NBC, FOX, and CBS. I like it, but it doesn't work with Alexa and it's expensive at $60.

Update. I may try AT&T TV next, and I have FOX on Sling again.

So I think I figured it out. We'll get Hulu Live, Philo TV, and Netflix which will be $80 vs Sling Orange+Blue, Hulu Basic, and Netflix for $75. Hulu for Fox News, Fox Sports, FXX, ESPN, and local channels. Philo for Viacom channels.

EDIT: Never mind. I felt icky using Philo. The idea that you subscribe using your cell phone number instead of email is strange to me and I cannot cancel. They say you have to let it "naturally expire". Whatever that means.

Last edited:
Okay I've gotten over my paranoia with Philo and I like it. BUT now I've learned of Locast which streams antenna channels through your smart device. So now I can cancel Hulu Live and Philo and just use Sling Orange+Blue, Netflix, Hulu, and Locast.

Okay I've gotten over my paranoia with Philo and I like it. BUT now I've learned of Locast which streams antenna channels through your smart device. So now I can cancel Hulu Live and Philo and just use Sling Orange+Blue, Netflix, Hulu, and Locast.
I'd love to check Locast out but I don't live in one of their cities. Maybe I could try using a VPN to sign up? Hmm.

I'd love to check Locast out but I don't live in one of their cities. Maybe I could try using a VPN to sign up? Hmm.
There are some apps you can use to falsify your location to the nearest big city. Problems with Locast are they want donations of $5 a month and they're currently in a lawsuit with the major networks.

Last edited:
Did I just fever dream it or did Fubo have FX and FXX at one point? I was interested in it again, but now I'm not sure.

Ugh if Philo still had its $16 price tag it would be perfect to go with Hulu.

Last edited:

Not shocked that they are merging AT&T TV Now with HBO max.

when i got my new phone i got a promo for a year free of Apple TV but i haven't activated it yet. is anyone using it? thoughts?

I've thought about going back to on demand only. I would do Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime...

I would pay the increase of Hulu Lilve if they decided to add Viacom channels to it. Hulu's streaming library with Viacom channels in one convenient spot would work for me.

as soon as i move, i am cancelling my cable and landline phone. that's going to free up about $200 a month for me. can't wait

as soon as i move, i am cancelling my cable and landline phone. that's going to free up about $200 a month for me. can't wait
I only pay for my $45 internet and $60 for television. I'm debating giving up Sling Blue and go back to on demand only with Netflix, Disney+/Hulu, and Prime Video with Locast/Pluto for locals and live tv.

I looked into Apple TV+. I heard See and Dickinson are good, but I don't think it's enough to make me take the plunge.

I only pay for my $45 internet and $60 for television. I'm debating giving up Sling Blue and go back to on demand only with Netflix, Disney+/Hulu, and Prime Video with Locast/Pluto for locals and live tv.

I looked into Apple TV+. I heard See and Dickinson are good, but I don't think it's enough to make me take the plunge.

i got a free year of Apple TV when I got my new phone but i haven't activated it. I have so much stuff i own on Vudu, Prime, etc that i'm not even sure i need streaming for a very long time lol. my backlog is way too long

i got a free year of Apple TV when I got my new phone but i haven't activated it. I have so much stuff i own on Vudu, Prime, etc that i'm not even sure i need streaming for a very long time lol. my backlog is way too long
Better get on that Vudu library. Rumor has it Vudu may not be here much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"