Cable Cord Cutters Thread: Sling, Hulu, YouTube TV, Netflix, and more!

looks like i'll be sticking with Vudu and MoviesAnywhere if these prices keep rising. i almost signed back up for netflix. almost. i did a week trial of hulu live but cancelled it. i have apple tv until dec 31 but the only thing on it i've watched is stuff i own already so :shrug:

I've been ride or die with Netflix for almost 10 years. I guess another price hike was inevitable.

I dropped Netflix last year, but I get it free from my dad now, lol. Still, it just ain’t worth that price to me. VERY few of their shows feel like must-watches to me, and I basically just watch them because they’re...there. Their movie library just isn’t what it used to be, and 90% of their original movies are garbage. I’ve admittedly been using it more during the pandemic, but the only times I’d MISS it if I didn’t have it any longer would be if Mindhunter came back or for the last season of Ozark. The other Netflix shows I watch, I wouldn’t really miss at all.

I've said before, if I had to cut one it'd be Netflix. I do pay for the Netflix 4K...why? I don't know. Netflix really doesn't have a lot of content for me. Narcos, You, Sex Education, and then Ozark and Stranger Things that definitely or might be ending soon. I have Witcher in my queue but I'm not rushing to it. And then Mindhunter is in my queue too but that ended.
And they're starting to lose all their big licensed hits like The Office, Parks and Rec, all the FX shows...

Most of the Netflix originals are crap as has been mentioned and I don't mean just "I don't like it." I mean they are low quality, low common denominator type stuff where you can tell they didn't even try. Glorified Hallmark and Disney Channel movies. Why pay for that?
I even think a lot of directors have done their worst work on Netflix. But there are some great movies The Irishman, Marriage Story, Beasts of No Nation...but those are far inbetween and there's no reason to be paying 15-20 a month for those. Especially with The Irishman coming to Blu Ray.

All the other streaming services come with a perk.
-PrimeVideo is included with Amazon Prime
-Hulu has all of FX, next day airing of some shows, Live TV, and come bundled with Spotify or Disney+
-Disney+ has Disney's large catalogue
-HBO Max has all the HBO shows...nuff said
-YouTube TV has unlimited cloud DVR and Live TV

What does Netflix have?

I think the next 5 years could really change the tide on Netflix. They're cool for making these viral moments like Tiger King, Birdbox, or Love is Blind. But that's not sustainable when the competition is so much more enticing and brings more interesting perks. If Netflix doesn't stop with the quantity>>>quality strategy, I can really see them suffering

I've said before, if I had to cut one it'd be Netflix. I do pay for the Netflix 4K...why? I don't know. Netflix really doesn't have a lot of content for me. Narcos, You, Sex Education, and then Ozark and Stranger Things that definitely or might be ending soon. I have Witcher in my queue but I'm not rushing to it. And then Mindhunter is in my queue too but that ended.
And they're starting to lose all their big licensed hits like The Office, Parks and Rec, all the FX shows...

Most of the Netflix originals are crap as has been mentioned and I don't mean just "I don't like it." I mean they are low quality, low common denominator type stuff where you can tell they didn't even try. Glorified Hallmark and Disney Channel movies. Why pay for that?
I even think a lot of directors have done their worst work on Netflix. But there are some great movies The Irishman, Marriage Story, Beasts of No Nation...but those are far inbetween and there's no reason to be paying 15-20 a month for those. Especially with The Irishman coming to Blu Ray.

-Hulu has all of FX, next day airing of some shows, Live TV, and come bundled with Spotify or Disney+

What does Netflix have?

I think the next 5 years could really change the tide on Netflix. They're cool for making these viral moments like Tiger King, Birdbox, or Love is Blind. But that's not sustainable when the competition is so much more enticing and brings more interesting perks. If Netflix doesn't stop with the quantity>>>quality strategy, I can really see them suffering
Strange how it used to be a major component to cutting the cord a few years ago. Everyone I knew who was cutting the cord just got Netflix and paired it with either Prime or Hulu to watch TV and had an antenna for locals and sports.

What does Netflix have?

Agreed on all this, but if it ever does come to the point where you're ready to make the cut...just be sure to watch Mindhunter first. ;)

Since it seems I may be working from home for the foreseeable future, I'm thinking of getting a dedicated PC for my home theater and using it for work (VPN) and streaming (I just have a projector and don't like the interface on my BluRay). The only downside is that the dogs don't really like being in that room. I got a TV for the swimming pool so when I'm floating around I can watch something if I want to. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I don't. One of my dogs gets really upset when we're in the pool and starts whining. I got him a little blow up pool that I put him in so he can float around with us. He likes that.

The next house I get, I'm going to have a semi-enclosed pool and am going to get a giant screen TV or projector. I'm going to have floating lounge chairs that have a couple of anchors to the bottom of the pool so I can stay in place if I want to. Seems like it would be a fun home theater.

Seems the same to me, except now you have to pay to use multiple providers, which I don't think was the case before.
What? So now you can't use Sling/Philo with Locast? That sucks.

What? So now you can't use Sling/Philo with Locast? That sucks.
Not without paying for premium. I'm not sure there's a point to the free version anymore, since you don't get DVR with it either. If you can only use one provider, why would one not just...use that provider instead?

Not without paying for premium. I'm not sure there's a point to the free version anymore, since you don't get DVR with it either. If you can only use one provider, why would one not just...use that provider instead?
Ikr. That was the whole point of trying to use it for me.

Man, reading this thread confuses me. What do you pay for the stuff you have?

I had a dream that I bought a 110" TV for my swimming pool.

Man, reading this thread confuses me. What do you pay for the stuff you have?

I had a dream that I bought a 110" TV for my swimming pool.
I pay just under $50 for all my streaming services currently. Including what I pay for internet, I pay about $140 all in total. I was paying just over $200 for cable before, and that’s not including the extra streaming services I was already paying for while having cable (Hulu, Prime, Netflix). I’m saving about $100 a month now when all’s said and done. And I have a lot more options and customizability to boot. Never going back. :word:

I pay just under $50 for all my streaming services currently. Including what I pay for internet, I pay about $140 all in total. I was paying just over $200 for cable before, and that’s not including the extra streaming services I was already paying for while having cable (Hulu, Prime, Netflix). I’m saving about $100 a month now when all’s said and done. And I have a lot more options and customizability to boot. Never going back. :word:

That's about what I pay for Spectrum with HBO and Showtime (Silver package). I think it's about $150 including a landline. I only have that because it's actually about $10 cheaper if you bundle the phone. Go figure. We have Prime anyway and have basic Netflix and Disney+.

Maybe Spectrum raises the cost, but they didn't say it was a yearly special or anything. I get most all the sports channels which is also sort of a big deal to me.

Plus, I don't get a headache trying to figure out what to do next. I'm basically kind of lazy and can barely figure out what to buy at the grocery store.

Been using the Chromecast w/ Google TV (still a dumb name) for a little over 2 weeks now and I love it. Highly recommend it. Especially if you use YouTube TV

Google really needs to push and promote this because it's the best thing they've made in a while. But again, they really should've called it something else

For you Regional Sports fans, YouTube TV lost Fox Regional Sports leaving Hulu Live and AT&T TV Now as the only services to have them. Sinclair is asking for a pretty penny for that channel.

For you Regional Sports fans, YouTube TV lost Fox Regional Sports leaving Hulu Live and AT&T TV Now as the only services to have them. Sinclair is asking for a pretty penny for that channel.

You folks live a complicated life. Do you ever find yourself :wall: ?

i dont even know who Sinclair is

I wish some streaming service brings back an old feature that Hulu had where you could essentially make a playlist.
You know like one episode of Archer, another episode of Workaholics, etc.

I really wonder why they got rid of it

So now Hulu will be removing regional sports from their service too. It's officially Sinclair asking for far too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"