Can a Thor movie beat Hulk at the box office?

Thor will definitely make more than TIH did.

yea i am sure thor is going to just do fine. plus it got the prime early may slot. with the right marketing campign things should be fine.

yea i am sure thor is going to just do fine. plus it got the prime early may slot. with the right marketing campign things should be fine.
I'm pretty sure Thor is going to do 300 million plus. Not sure about 400 million + and I know it won't break half a billion.

I'm going to guess between 350-400 million.

300 plus??? I think we are reaching a bit... I'll say 250 but that's an optimistic bet.

I think Thor should gross more Overseas than Domestic. Fantasy films tend to in general.

Depends on how it'll be perceived. Thor's not exactly a well known comic icon or anything.

yea total for US box office i would figure 300-400mill def, and then internationally anywhere from an addition 150-250mill. So then we would end somewhere like 500+ million for total BO take.

yea total for US box office i would figure 300-400mill def, and then internationally anywhere from an addition 150-250mill. So then we would end somewhere like 500+ million for total BO take.

300-400m domestic? I doubt it, that's spidey numbers. I think it will will do 250-300m on both sides of the atlantic and come in at around the 500m mark worldwide.

well we will just have to see who knows. But i am sure it will do good both dos and international.

Thor's Advantage:
- First movie of the summer
- Should have more ads & ad money

Thor disadvantage from the Hulk:
- Relatively unknown
- Subject matter is a bit acquired taste

Thor would have to make more money than the Hulk did, since obth films flopped.

As long as marvel promotes thor in the right way I feel like it could be a box office success. I already think its gonna be a critical success, I'm just worried about it reaching its full potential box office wise.

International market is more fickle to unproven franchise without a famous leading star. Most developed countries should have their own domestic films that compete with American made films.

Last edited:
True. I'm honestly not expecting Thor to do too well. Before the current relaunch started selling at amazingly high levels, Thor couldn't even manage to be all that popular among comic readers. I'm just glad the movie's getting made at all.

And I'm not so sure that having a big chunk - if not the majority - of the movie in Asgard is such a great idea (if true). If Thor spends too much time there, it becomes a pure fantasy movie as opposed to a superhero who interacts with mere mortals. A far-out fantasy film tends to turn off the female portion of the population. If they could have Thor interacting with events on earth as the bulk of the film, I think it would draw in the interest of most people rather than have it as some other-worldly epic.

Last edited:
As long as marvel promotes thor in the right way I feel like it could be a box office success. I already think its gonna be a critical success, I'm just worried about it reaching its full potential box office wise.

I think if Marvel/Paramount has good previews and advertising leading up to the opening weekend, it will bring in the audiences. Poorly-designed movie trailers can doom a movie before it even opens.

International market is more fickle to unproven franchise without a famous leading star. Most developed countries should have their own domestic films that compete with American made films.

But international markets love sword and sandal pics. If anything Thor can definately beat Hulk at the international BO.

I tend not to pay too much attention to that stuff either. We're getting a Thor movie. I want it to do well, but even if it doesn't, it'll at least exist. Despite his auspicious beginnings as one of the heavyweights in the Marvel universe, Thor hasn't been a particularly popular character for decades now (although his series is on the rise again thanks to JMS' run), so the fact that a movie is just a year away from becoming a reality at all is more than I ever believed we Thor fans would get.

the thor comic stopped selling because it was rubbish. imho, no one since simonson 'gets' thor with the exception of JMS and that's way the sales slumped, not because thor is unpopular. I'm a huge thor fan and even I stopped picking up thor until JMS came on board.

That was certainly true in the '90s after Simonson, but Jurgens' run was uniformly great and it still never managed to make it much higher than the 50s or 40s on the sales charts. Not horrible but certainly not what you'd expect from one of Marvel's core characters.

i am sure marvel is going to play things better this time with both thor and cap compared to im and tih.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"