Can a Thor movie beat Hulk at the box office?

Of The solo Avengers films, I Have no doubt Iron Man and Thor will be the highest grossing - Followed by Cap and then Hulk :csad:

i still think both thor and cap will probably do well. we got thor starting the summer season off, and cap to be the closer of the summer season. if they play their cards right marvel could have a kick butt summer season next yr.

It will probably go like Iron Man\Thor then Hulk then Captain america.

I'm worried Cap's going to bomb right now. Deathly Hallows Part II is going to be enormous, Transformers III will still be making solid money too.

At present I'm not expecting Cap to be no.1 on it's opening weekend.

i am sure cap will be fine, we just dont know how things will be. Plus for all we know if it has good word of mouth it could hold for awhile and do well. Then of course international figures too. Then for all we know some of the films for next yr could possible move dates earlier or later, it happens.

I believe that Thor will out do "The Incredible Hulk" in overall box office sale. The Incredible Hulk had the hurdle of overcoming the bad word of mouth associated with the 1st film. If the 1st Hulk movie had not been released and the Incredible Hulk was released as the initial film, I believe it would have faired much better. Also, despite the fact that more people have knowledge of Greek and Roman gods, there are a certain number of people that are interested in Scandinavian deities. So you may get some of those people to watch the movie because they have a familiarity with the character, (despite the fact that the marvel universe's take on things is a bit different). As for Captain America doing well, well it has some hurdles of its own. First off it's pitted against some other big budget summer movies, and then you add the fact that some International crowds may not have the same appreciation for an American named hero that we do here in the states. However, I am certain that Captain America will be done well; (despite some concerns about his costume) I still have full confidence in Marvel. One thing though that could actually help the Captain America film is the Thor Movie. People love things that tie in and if there is something in the Thor movie that link's it to the Captain America movie I think that might be enough to get people that are on the fence into the seats for the Captain America movie. People in general don't like to leave things open or unresolved. People want to know what happens. So, if there is something in the film (even like a phone call received from a Shield Agent and he hears "Captain America is on board" or something to that effect), once again it might be enough.

However, I still think there is too many possibilities to know how it will all factor in and only time will tell.

Surfer

I believe that Thor will out do "The Incredible Hulk" in overall box office sale. The Incredible Hulk had the hurdle of overcoming the bad word of mouth associated with the 1st film. If the 1st Hulk movie had not been released and the Incredible Hulk was released as the initial film, I believe it would have faired much better. Also, despite the fact that more people have knowledge of Greek and Roman gods, there are a certain number of people that are interested in Scandinavian deities. So you may get some of those people to watch the movie because they have a familiarity with the character, (despite the fact that the marvel universe's take on things is a bit different). As for Captain America doing well, well it has some hurdles of its own. First off it's pitted against some other big budget summer movies, and then you add the fact that some International crowds may not have the same appreciation for an American named hero that we do here in the states. However, I am certain that Captain America will be done well; (despite some concerns about his costume) I still have full confidence in Marvel. One thing though that could actually help the Captain America film is the Thor Movie. People love things that tie in and if there is something in the Thor movie that link's it to the Captain America movie I think that might be enough to get people that are on the fence into the seats for the Captain America movie. People in general don't like to leave things open or unresolved. People want to know what happens. So, if there is something in the film (even like a phone call received from a Shield Agent and he hears "Captain America is on board" or something to that effect), once again it might be enough.

However, I still think there is too many possibilities to know how it will all factor in and only time will tell.

Surfer

I disagree with the whole "TIH would've been a hit if not for the Ang Lee Hulk". The Incredible Hulk was mediocrely recieved in it's own right. The general consensus was that it was a much weaker movie than Iron Man. If TIH had been a better movie, it would've done better.

That does raise an issue about competition between Marvel's own movies, though. I mean, people were still talking about and going to see Iron Man when TIH came out, which made me wonder at the time whether TIH might've benefitted from being released further away from IM. You know, let IM run its course and then release TIH to stand on its own two feet as opposed to releasing it just one month after IM and inadvertently having word-of-mouth like, "I was gonna go see The Incredible Hulk but people said it wasn't as good as Iron Man," since I'm sure a lot of the public just lumps all of these movies together as "those comic movies." Kind of makes me wonder if Thor and Cap might wind up being compared to each other as well, with one movie's quality magnifying the other's lack thereof. Hopefully Thor and Cap will both be Iron Man-level quality and we won't have that problem, but you never know.

Cap has bigger things to worry about than comparisons to the Thor movie released two months prior. Namely being released one week after the final Harry Potter movie, which is one of the most, if not the most, consistently massive movie series at the box office.

PS: Sony just moved their sure-to-bomb movie Priest so it now opens the week after Thor. And Universal scheduled their Thing remake for the week before Thor.

Is that good or bad? I would guess good, since it seems like the other studios are a bit leary of placing movies they actually want to succeed around Thor because they assume Thor's going to suck up sales for that period anyway. But I am astonishingly ignorant of how the movie business works.

I disagree with the whole "TIH would've been a hit if not for the Ang Lee Hulk". The Incredible Hulk was mediocrely recieved in it's own right. The general consensus was that it was a much weaker movie than Iron Man. If TIH had been a better movie, it would've done better.

I will agree with this to a certain degree. Yes it seems to have been received better than Ang's movie. And I thought for sure that word of mouth would help it fair significantly better. Afterall, nearly eveyone I've talked to was positive about it, although IM was better received of course. You would expect that if word of mouth is good then the legs of the film would be good as well. But I don't think that this directly applies here. I have talked with people who were hestitant about the movie because of the first one. People wanted to wait for the DVD. Without conducting explicit polls of the movie-going public, it is impossible to know the "Ang movie effect".

Is that good or bad? I would guess good, since it seems like the other studios are a bit leary of placing movies they actually want to succeed around Thor because they assume Thor's going to suck up sales for that period anyway. But I am astonishingly ignorant of how the movie business works.
It's pretty good. It's summer so there will always be competition. Wolverine, for instance, had Star Trek open in its second weekend. So it's a good thing that these generally weak movies are opening around Thor and won't eat up its business.

for me i liked tih way better then the 2003 ang lee film. But yea it could have done better but it was still a decent film and was a modest hit for marvel. Hopefully like i said before they learned from im/tih promotion to do things differently with thor and cap. I still think/hope both will do well enough for marvel studios.

I'm expecting late 200mil to early 300mil domestically. 500 million world wide.

It's too bad they were being distributed by different studios because if they were more confident in the crossovers at that time they could have had some short comedic Iron Man/Hulk ads with the two (in animated form maybe) interacting about whatever product they were promoting (7/11 slushies, audi, etc.). Both were risky at the time, IM being lowkey and Hulk having failed to capture an audience in movie form fairly recently. So it would have been good to help each other out.

but it all worked out pretty well anyway so whatever

I will agree with this to a certain degree. Yes it seems to have been received better than Ang's movie. And I thought for sure that word of mouth would help it fair significantly better. Afterall, nearly eveyone I've talked to was positive about it, although IM was better received of course. You would expect that if word of mouth is good then the legs of the film would be good as well. But I don't think that this directly applies here. I have talked with people who were hestitant about the movie because of the first one. People wanted to wait for the DVD. Without conducting explicit polls of the movie-going public, it is impossible to know the "Ang movie effect".

It did do pretty well with word of mouth. Many people liked it more than Ang Lee's Hulk.

I believe that the question with TIH to me isn't would it have done better if it wasn't for Ang Lee's Hulk, but how much better would it have done?

It did do pretty well with word of mouth. Many people liked it more than Ang Lee's Hulk.

I believe that the question with TIH to me isn't would it have done better if it wasn't for Ang Lee's Hulk, but how much better would it have done?

Exactly. Good point.

Nope.Specially if you take on account WW box office.CA doens't have any appeal for the majority of other countries.

Hulk did rather poorly abroad too.

Cap will do at least 200 in the U.S....you don't think it'll do more than 63 million abroad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"