First Avenger Can Captain America make more money than TIH?

I think you've over reacting a bit. It seems to me that by "not a flag waver" he means "not a mindless deluded jingoist." He went on in that interview to say that Cap is going to be a man who wanted to serve his country simply because he is a good person and it's the right thing to do, and that he's going to have to struggle with having to both serve as a symbol for the very best of America and maintain his own identity and stay true to his own moral convictions underneath the mask. And that pretty much describes Captain America in a nutshell. He loves America and he believes very strongly in the ideas put forth by it's constitution and declaration of independence, and it's because he believes this that he is both the first person to criticize the President for doing something insane, or the Legislature for passing a law that benefits the elite instead of the people, or the military for favoring pragmatism over morality, and the fist to defend this country from unwarranted and unreasonable attacks on it's ideals and character, as well as literal attacks.

That's the vibe I got from the interview. At least, the vibe I got from that interview was that we're going to get a young idealistic kid from Brookline who gets thrust into a role of responsibility and grows into that guy. And that's Captain America, as far as I'm concerned.

I appreciate what your saying, but the demands for that scenario are great for the likes of Joe Johnston. What is on the written page and what is conveyed CONVINCINGLY to film are often two different worlds. A director can either bring a wealth of character to that concept or it can be played like a connect-the-dots comic book aimed at your average 12 year old. Johnston's resume supports the latter of the two possibilities. Jurassic Park III, Hildago, and the Wolfman were all high profile films that came in with alot of hype, but were massive disappointments both commercially and critically. Lets look at the box office alone:

The Wolfman - production costs alone - 150 million. Final gross - 61.9
Hildago - production costs - 100 million. Final gross - 67.3
Jurassic Park III - production costs - $93 million. Final gross - 181

Note the cost for those films does not include marketing which typically adds another 30 to 50 million. SO even in the case of Jurassic Park III, the return was much less than the others in the Jurassic series and netted the studio very little. So Johnston is once again standing in a genre that has seen big success (but not by his hand). What's worse, Capt America stands to hurt Marvel studios long term if Johnston's version falls flat. Because this is suppose to be the flag ship character of a three film concept to breath life into the Avengers. If Cap hits the public flat, it seriously endangers the investment for the pricey Avengers flick coming out less than a year later. Marvel has really taken some huge risks in this project and I just don't think they picked the right director to get the job done.

i said it before i am sure marvel will treat this film right and promote it well and i am sure if its a good film we can have a good bo run for the film.

Well, in terms of pure box office that "not a flag waver" comment has caused a stir. Honestly, Marvel needs to avoid such statements in the future at all cost. I've bounced around the Net and some people are ticked off by that one interview. IMDB for example:

The thing I don't get is how exactly did it become a bad thing to be a "flag waver"? I swear, we'll defend people who burn the flag but we sure don't want anyone waving that thing. It is the flag of the United States of America and CAPTAIN AMERICA should be proud to wave it because it represents all the good and ideals which America stands for, the intent of our Constitution, the sacrifice of our founding fathers - there is absolutely nothing wrong with our national flag.

If you don't want the hero of your movie to be a flag waver then don't sign on to direct CAPTAIN AMERICA.

A lot of us feel ^this^ way and glossing over Cap's national pride is the ONLY way Marvel losses fans in the USA. Even if the film doesn't actually do this, selling it as such or talking down the flag and patriotism will blow up on them in the USA.

Like I've said, I'm as big a Marvel Zombie as there can possibly be and if they lose my demographic, they lose a lot. More then what anti-Americans think in Europe at any rate.

Well, in terms of pure box office that "not a flag waver" comment has caused a stir. Honestly, Marvel needs to avoid such statements in the future at all cost. I've bounced around the Net and some people are ticked off by that one interview. IMDB for example:

A lot of us feel ^this^ way and glossing over Cap's national pride is the ONLY way Marvel losses fans in the USA. Even if the film doesn't actually do this, selling it as such or talking down the flag and patriotism will blow up on them in the USA.

Like I've said, I'm as big a Marvel Zombie as there can possibly be and if they lose my demographic, they lose a lot. More then what anti-Americans think in Europe at any rate.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I hated that comment. It's not about thinking that the USA is right about everything but there is nothing wrong with Cap believing in the ideals of America. If you shy away from the America angle than why call him Captain America?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"