Can Movies really change your faith?

If a movie makes you change your faith then you didn't have much faith to begin with.

As for the Golden compass. Does anyone really gonna think a film with fighting polar bears is suddenly gonna make 8 year old question his religous up bringing. The kids will see the movie as an adventure film not some religous propoganda.

Also most people will perhaps question their religion at some point in thir lives. People should be allowe to work out their faith for themselves. Most these hardcore christians have probabley not read the books or seen the film. But they want to blanket wrap their children from seeing any thing that may they may not believe in.

They should put as much faith in their children as they do their God. God gave man free will and the right to make their own choices.
Instead of trying boycotte the film perhaps they could take his own advise let people or children decide for themselves.

With regards to films changing your faith, I do believe it is a possibility. Like music, television, or reading, films can be just as powerful with their impact to the human soul. The difference is that while books and music rely largely on the imagination, films and TV are much more visual, and as such, can be rather dangerous in some cases.

Here's an example of a spiritual battle I faced with this subject, not long ago. When "Constantine" came out, I saw the trailers, and was actually interested in the film. But as I saw more and more about it, I began to wonder whether I should see it. So, I figured the best thing was to go to God, and ask him through prayer. All I said was, "Father, I'm not sure about this film, so show me what you'd have me do."

Maybe a week later, I was watching TV, when another trailer for the movie came on. I was watching as usual, but this time was different. It's difficult to describe, but deep in my spirit I heard the words, "You don't need to see that." And you know what...it made me angry. I wrestled with that for days, trying to rationalize it away. Finally, I heard God one more time, and He said to me, "The choice is yours. It's dangerous for you."

So, going against my own wishes, I said, "Okay. I don't have to like this, but I'll let it go." Over the next few months, my desire to see the film evaporated, and to this day I don't have any interest in it.

My point is that everyone is susceptible to various things, especially where imagery and spiritual messages are concerned. I believe the best way to stay "in the clear" regarding your faith is to speak with God, who created you. He may not give you the answer you want, but He'll always speak the truth...and reminds us we have a choice.

I believe that a movie/book/TV show/comic/video game can make you think, but only YOU can change your faith.

If one is strong in their faith, then any form of media should not make you change your faith.

I don't particularly like the His Dark Materials books because I don't agree with the worldview presented, if other's want to see it that's their choice. We all have the free will to do what we want. If you don't like something don't watch or do it. Simple as that.

And for those who believe in God, you have to do what feels right when it comes to entertainment. Some people can watch a movie and it doesn't affect them, it's just a movie. Much like how I don't really have a problem with Constantine but Moviefan2k4 didn't think he should watch it. Or, I don't feel right supporting the The Golden Compass and other's who are Christians don't mind it. None of this stuff should make you change your faith is basically what I'm saying.

Movies cannot change your faith.

The Catholic Church doesn't like The Golden Compass because it was written by an atheist and has atheist views. If was written by a catholic or had catholic views they wouldn't have a problem.

Religions just need to realise people have a choice about what they so in life. If they want to see a film with atheist undertones then they damn well can!

If there were a movie that presented the Klan in a positive light, rescuing innocent, doe-eyed white women from the evil black man, would you pay money to see it? I certainly know I wouldn't, because it represents beliefs that I don't stand for. Would you encourage others to boycott the film? Would you protest? I've never been much for active protesting, but I would encourage others to boycott it.

It's the same with "The Golden Compass." As a Christian (Protestant), I have no interest in seeing a film series that is based on books with the promotion of atheism or "killing God" as an underlying theme. It goes against my beliefs. I haven't watched "The Passion of the Christ," either, because I'm not a fan of films with torture in them (no interest in watching the "Saw" or "Hostel" films, either).

Part of living in a free society is that you get to express beliefs that you agree with. Part of living in a free society also means that you get to be vocal about beliefs you don't agree with, even if others do.

These Christians who are actively protesting "The Golden Compass" have just as much a right to protest this film as the following groups:

Jews protesting their portrayal in "The Passion of the Christ"
Gays protesting the serial killer in "Silence of the Lambs"
Muslims protesting their portrayal as terrorists in "24"
Feminists protesting Schwarzenegger's "interrogation" of his wife in "True Lies"

Oh, and for the record, "The Golden Compass" would not change my faith. My faith in God is built on a firm foundation.

With regards to films changing your faith, I do believe it is a possibility. Like music, television, or reading, films can be just as powerful with their impact to the human soul. The difference is that while books and music rely largely on the imagination, films and TV are much more visual, and as such, can be rather dangerous in some cases.

Here's an example of a spiritual battle I faced with this subject, not long ago. When "Constantine" came out, I saw the trailers, and was actually interested in the film. But as I saw more and more about it, I began to wonder whether I should see it. So, I figured the best thing was to go to God, and ask him through prayer. All I said was, "Father, I'm not sure about this film, so show me what you'd have me do."

Maybe a week later, I was watching TV, when another trailer for the movie came on. I was watching as usual, but this time was different. It's difficult to describe, but deep in my spirit I heard the words, "You don't need to see that." And you know what...it made me angry. I wrestled with that for days, trying to rationalize it away. Finally, I heard God one more time, and He said to me, "The choice is yours. It's dangerous for you."

So, going against my own wishes, I said, "Okay. I don't have to like this, but I'll let it go." Over the next few months, my desire to see the film evaporated, and to this day I don't have any interest in it.

My point is that everyone is susceptible to various things, especially where imagery and spiritual messages are concerned. I believe the best way to stay "in the clear" regarding your faith is to speak with God, who created you. He may not give you the answer you want, but He'll always speak the truth...and reminds us we have a choice.

Wow I can't believe Constantine would make anyone want to question their faith :csad:

I think you give films too much power. I can't belive anyone being weak minded enough that a fictional movie would make them make life decisions.
They are not documentaries. Its not fact its fiction.

People need to realise at the end of the day its just entertainment.
There have been films about serial killers but people haven't gone out and killed people after watching them.

We have free will.

I used to believe in God when I was little.

Then my naughty Grandad showed me Monty Python's Life of Brian at the age of six. Christainity was out the window. Then the last remains of the Christian inside me was stabbed to death with a hot rusty metal machete when I saw Dogma :woot:.

I know you're probably kidding, but Dogma is way pro-Jesus and God, albeit a little anti denominational it is still pro christianity

chamber-music said:
Wow; I can't believe "Constantine" would make anyone want to question their faith. I think you give films too much power. I can't belive anyone being weak minded enough that a fictional movie would make them make life decisions. They are not documentaries. Its not fact its fiction.

People need to realise at the end of the day its just entertainment.
There have been films about serial killers but people haven't gone out and killed people after watching them. We have free will.
I think of it as using preventive measures to avoid a potentially-dangerous spiritual decision. My faith in God is strong, but as I've said, we are all susceptible to different things. I was unsure about how "Constantine" could affect my faith, and so I asked the Lord, and He helped me to make the right decision for my walk with Him.

More recently, I've battled a similar issue over the film "Ghost Rider" (mostly because of the Caretaker's statements regarding God, and Johnny's decision to use the devil's own power against him). I'm still trying to make a good decision on that one.

I just watch movies to enjoy them. Sure, I may not agree with what is presented but that is because my faith is strong nothing small like a movie is going to sway that.

Case in point, I watched the Da Vinci Code, enjoyed the movie, but totally disagreed with the message from it. That is my choice.

I'm a believer that children are going to believe what there parents live. If parents have taught their children one way then the Golden Compass or a Harry Porter movie shouldn't make a huge amount of difference.

I think of it as using preventive measures to avoid a potentially-dangerous spiritual decision. My faith in God is strong, but as I've said, we are all susceptible to different things. I was unsure about how "Constantine" could affect my faith, and so I asked the Lord, and He helped me to make the right decision for my walk with Him.

More recently, I've battled a similar issue over the film "Ghost Rider" (mostly because of the Caretaker's statements regarding God, and Johnny's decision to use the devil's own power against him). I'm still trying to make a good decision on that one.

Overly religious people always confuse me. Why would your faith prevent you from seeing Ghost Rider? It's a fictious movie about a guy who turns into a flaming skeleton and it has the usual cliched 'Heaven vs Hell' deal.

How could movies based off of comic books affect your faith? I mean, is your will that weak? I'm legitimately curious, not trying to cause a fight.

As far as the on topic subject, I don't see a problem with the film. It had practically no religious themes in it (the film, not the book).

I think most people think their trying to get people not to believe in god. I'm a christian. the movie looks good. but i don't if i care to see it . I even own harry potte movies . I know some christian people don't like harry potter.

IMO, this thing is being way too overstressed on the fact not to see. There's been movies based on the undead, vampires, gays, all the crap of earth... and christians are somewhat offended but that jst means don't watch not start a riot somewhere... like any other movie, you don't like the topic don't watch it

Hey now, that's only a stereotype. There are 1.7 billion Christians on this planet, but because there are a few thousand loud-mouthed radicals, it's easy to get the impression that we're all like that. By and large, Christians do not believe in making non-Christians live like Christians.

That's cool, not trying to offend anyone. I still disagree though, especially with that last part.

If people base their opinion on religion ONLY on fictious films, it could be more relevant argumentation, in credibility terms... talking about credibility, I don't know if my words are correct, english is not my mother tongue...

I think most people think their trying to get people not to believe in god. I'm a christian. the movie looks good. but i don't if i care to see it . I even own harry potte movies . I know some christian people don't like harry potter.

The difference between HP, and GC imo is that nowhere in HP do they denounce God (even though he clearly doesn't exist, and the author doesn't believe in God) whereas GC is literally anti-God I think that is where they are running into trouble.

I have a question for everyone, if their where to be a mainstream movie that presented Christian faith as it is (i.e. If you believe in God, and he sent his only son Jesus to die and save your sins you go to heaven in the end, if you don't you go to hell) do you think that movie would get blasted for not accepting other people's beliefs?

The reason no one really gets on Harry Potter is cause there is really no altieror motive for the franchise, there isn't a religious parallel or trying make a point about God or Faith. It may present an appeal for being a witch or wizard, but I grew up Christian and always wanted to be a witch wizard, warrior, superhero, dinosaur, whatever you have it, you grow up after awhile and realize that it isn't feasible.

At the same time I am all for artists to make whatever claim they want and do it in whatever way they want, I don't really think these movies especially will pit any kids against God cause they have watered it down to such an extent that, while it is there you have to really be an astute viewer or knowledgeable viewer to catch it. It's freedom of speech essentially if a studio wants to make that they can, but at the same time if the Catholic league wants to boycott it they can too. It's all kind of pointless cause once kids grow up and get out on their own they make their own desicions, and probably won't look back and be like "Well wow, Golden Compass when I saw that streamingly average movie, that is when I decided that there wasn't a God"

A ficticious film/book/etc is only dangerous to a person without the mental capabilities to separate fantasy from reality.
Not to say that it can't upset a person that can, or make them not want to support such film.
I think the real story here is not that the movie promotes atheism, it's more the fact that many christian parents are afraid their children may question the religious beliefs they are brought up in.
This is completely understandable, and I'm sure a normal feeling for a parent to have.
The problem with shielding your children from any message either different or blatantly against your own, is that you're making their decisions on what they believe, instead of them making their own.

if a movie changes your faith, you probably didn't have enough will power to begin with.

That is exactly what I was going to post.

And there was nothing about the Golden Compass that was anti-Christianity... Is it the talking animals that the church hates so much? I honestly don't get the big deal... but then again, I adore Dogma. :woot:

"leave it to the catholics to destroy existence."

It was brought up in my film class that in the last book of the series, they actually
kill God

Now if that is the case (can anyone confirm?) I personally don't want any part in that. But I'm not going to run out and tell everyone else to avoid it.

Everyone has their choice in what they want to watch or not watch. And what I think is ok, others might not and vice versa.

For me at least, it's about the same as me not caring to see the Hostel or Saw films, for example...different strokes for different folks.

If other people want to support that, ok. They have their right to. I personally don't agree with what's being depicted so I won't get involved. Simple as that.

Movies, I think, can make you FIND your faith. Whether that be faith in a God, or simply faith in a purely scientific world to everything in between doesn't matter. What you believe is your faith, even if it's not a particularly religious standing one.

Someone that comes away from a film, a book, a song, whatever- feeling enlightened or questioning things or even having a complete "change" in their faith... the movie didn't make them feel this way, it just put whatever is in their hearts and minds into a more tangible idea. The most complex emotions are ones we often have trouble describing- love, for example. So when a song comes along and says exactly what someone is feeling regarding their love, they connect with that song. Same type of thing for your faith and films. If something comes along and speaks to you in a way you WISH you could have put into words, it will lead you to where your heart and beliefs already lay.

That is exactly what I was going to post.

And there was nothing about the Golden Compass that was anti-Christianity... Is it the talking animals that the church hates so much? I honestly don't get the big deal... but then again, I adore Dogma. :woot:

"leave it to the catholics to destroy existence."

Why does Dogma keep getting brought up, clearly like Kevin Smith says "if you don't realize the movie is harmless joke by the time the rubber poop monster shows up, then you are taking it too seriously"

I find it interesting that many christian sects have such a problem with Harry Potter.
J.K. Rowling never mentions religion at any point. She almost makes a point of not saying.

I find it interesting that many christian sects have such a problem with Harry Potter.
J.K. Rowling never mentions religion at any point. She almost makes a point of not saying.

I agree completely I am a Christian and I love HP, Rowling I believe is not Christian and makes non christian books but doesn't come close to adressing the subject its almost as if there is a ambiguous belief or something in the books that takes no real stance

I agree completely I am a Christian and I love HP, Rowling I believe is not Christian and makes non christian books but doesn't come close to adressing the subject its almost as if there is a ambiguous belief or something in the books that takes no real stance

Actually, I think Rowling is a Christian. I had read she was Catholic. And by the way, I love the HP books/movies as well. :up:

Why does Dogma keep getting brought up, clearly like Kevin Smith says "if you don't realize the movie is harmless joke by the time the rubber poop monster shows up, then you are taking it too seriously"

Because it was actually banned from a lot of places, there was only one theater showing it where I was and it got pretty criticized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"