Can Movies really change your faith?

Sasso said:
Overly religious people always confuse me. Why would your faith prevent you from seeing Ghost Rider? It's a fictitious movie about a guy who turns into a flaming skeleton and it has the usual clichéd 'Heaven vs Hell' deal. How could movies based off of comic books affect your faith? I mean, is your will that weak? I'm legitimately curious, not trying to cause a fight.
My main points of contentions are some quotes from the Caretaker, and Johnny's line at the end. Here ya go, for reference...
Caretaker: "You didn't sell your soul for greed or ambition. You did it for the right reason. Maybe that puts God on your side. Any man who sells his soul for love, has the power to change the world."
I don't know whether Mark Steven Johnson meant this to come across as it did, but to me, this is a serious error with the film's take on heaven, hell, and especially God. In this scene, the Caretaker seems to say that if you side with evil for love, then its okay in God's eyes. By contrast, Jesus said nothing of the sort. In fact, he preached forgiveness and redemption are available, but only if you repent, which is to turn away from whatever sins you've committed. Logically speaking, how would Johnny be turning away from evil by using the devil's own power against him?
Caretaker: "God knows I've made my share of mistakes. I've spent a long time trying to make up for it. All I can do is hope He sees fit to give me another chance."
While this sentiment certainly pulls at my heartstrings, I still feel conflicted over it. Nothing is mention of the Caretaker actually repenting for his deal with the devil, only trying for ages to do the same thing Johnny is, using the power of evil to try and destroy it. I know its just a comic book, but the themes in it come from real sources (like the Bible, for one). I don't know...part of me wants to shrug it off, but the rest is wanting to do what's right, not just what I want.
Johnny Blaze: "I'm gonna own this curse, and use it against you...a spirit of vengeance, fighting fire with fire."
This ain't Superman, having powers from Earth's yellow sun...or Batman, a billionaire with millions of tech toys. The film and the comic deal with very severe spiritual stuff. As such, I'm still undecided about my position on the whole thing. I saw in in theaters as a Nicolas Cage fan, but something just seems a bit "off", if that makes sense. Another interesting point was that in the '70s comics, one story was written about Johnny escaping the Ghost Rider curse by accepting Christ, which in turn broke the devil's hold on him. Unfortunately, some zealot of a publisher took offense, and kept it from being published. Check out this link for more on that subject.

bunk said:
That's cool, not trying to offend anyone.
Just to clarify things, Jesus don't worry about whether He offended anyone. He simply spoke the truth, and left people's reactions and choices up to them. As Christians, believers are called to do the same, speaking the truth in love, regardless of what others think.

If there were a movie that presented the Klan in a positive light, rescuing innocent, doe-eyed white women from the evil black man, would you pay money to see it?

You mean this one? :dry:

propagndgriffbirthnatiomc2.jpg

Another interesting point was that in the '70s comics, one story was written about Johnny escaping the Ghost Rider curse by accepting Christ, which in turn broke the devil's hold on him. Unfortunately, some zealot of a publisher took offense, and kept it from being published. Check out this link for more on that subject.

Wow, that's truly fascinating. :wow:

It's a shame that we have to live in such a PC world that something like that can't happen in a mainstream comic book. :(

I can't speak for anyone else, but a film will never make me change my faith (Christianity). With that said, I don't let Christianity rule what films I see (I don't mean to disrespect any other Christians). If I let my religion rule what films I see, I wouldn't be able to see the vast majority of films in existence.

I can't speak for anyone else, but a film will never make me change my faith (Christianity). With that said, I don't let Christianity rule what films I see (I don't mean to disrespect any other Christians). If I let my religion rule what films I see, I wouldn't be able to see the vast majority of films in existence.

Word Up money I agree

I find it kinda funny that the GC movie and series of books are being called atheistic (I know the author is atheist, but) when they KILL GOD in the 3rd book. Killing something would imply it existed beforehand.

Plus, the book is filled with angels and all sorts of other crap. Zuh?

Really, its the same deal as Happy Feet (Eric Forman voice: This film applies to everything!): just because a film takes on THE CHURCH doesn't mean its anti-religion.

Jeez.

Well, that really all comes down to personal standards and digression, which varies from person to person. Myself, I do not enjoy movies that are overly vulgar or raunchy, and I've never been much a fan of "splatter house" gore movies. But for a lot of other Christians, they don't have a problem with movies like that, as well as ones who have far stricter standards than myself (I've known families where they wouldn't let their teenage kids see anything that wasn't G-rated). It really all comes down to the individual and what you feel is appropriate.

I find it kinda funny that the GC movie and series of books are being called atheistic (I know the author is atheist, but) when they KILL GOD in the 3rd book. Killing something would imply it existed beforehand.

Plus, the book is filled with angels and all sorts of other crap. Zuh?

Really, its the same deal as Happy Feet (Eric Forman voice: This film applies to everything!): just because a film takes on THE CHURCH doesn't mean its anti-religion.

Jeez.

Once again SH, your posts impress me! Not only do you make a good point, you also work in Happy Feet(again!).

In fact, the only way your post could have been even better is if you swapped in a "Jesus." at the end. You know, as a joke. I would have laughed. More.

Timstuff said:
Well, that really all comes down to personal standards and digression, which varies from person to person. Myself, I do not enjoy movies that are overly vulgar or raunchy, and I've never been much a fan of "splatter house" gore movies. But for a lot of other Christians, they don't have a problem with movies like that, as well as ones who have far stricter standards than myself (I've known families where they wouldn't let their teenage kids see anything that wasn't G-rated). It really all comes down to the individual and what you feel is appropriate.
True, although a bit more wisdom wouldn't hurt, if most would take their spirits into account when choosing a type of entertainment. Negative messages, over time, can deaden your spirit to certain things. I don't like any gory movies or sexed-up crap either, and in recent years I've become more selective with my own choices. It's just so difficult to find a film these days, that's above a PG rating and isn't full of senseless ratings boosters.

I used to believe in God when I was little.

Then my naughty Grandad showed me Monty Python's Life of Brian at the age of six. Christainity was out the window. Then the last remains of the Christian inside me was stabbed to death with a hot rusty metal machete when I saw Dogma :woot:.
:dry: Glad to see people with no resolve or will power...I hope your joking by the way. And all Monty Python movies are hilarious but it never once questioned Jesus' teachings.

No, just his followers.
And the Romans:cwink: I mean if you can't laugh at yourself and your ideals, then you don't need to go to the movies or watch TV, aside from Pat Robertson. That is the one great thing about South Park, they make fun of everybody. But to say a movie changed your life for the better or worse, means you were f***ed up before you sat in that 8-10 dollar seat. Movies are to be used for an escape and entertainment, not pushing an agenda or converting followers (yet some movies sadly do that).

True that. If you can bring people to your cause just by showing them a movie, you're probably going to be bringing a lot of stupid people to your cause.

True that. If you can bring people to your cause just by showing them a movie, you're probably going to be bringing a lot of stupid people to your cause.
As long as they have koolaid:o

Once again SH, your posts impress me! Not only do you make a good point, you also work in Happy Feet(again!).

In fact, the only way your post could have been even better is if you swapped in a "Jesus." at the end. You know, as a joke. I would have laughed. More.

Well 'a, thank ya much kindly suh.'

Christians are just mad at another medium that can influence kids just as good as they can.

Christians are just mad at another medium that can influence kids just as good as they can.
And of course atheists will always have a say about Christian related movies and so will Jews, etc...It's not just one side but all sides.

And of course atheists will always have a say about Christian related movies and so will Jews, etc...It's not just one side but all sides.

I'm not Atheist. I just hate religion, Christianity most of all.

Well, I personally get concerned when people are influenced to move away from God. This world is bad enough the way it is, and further rejection of God will only make it worse. I highly doubt humanity needs any more tragedy, death, or spiritual darkness.

Well, I personally get concerned when people are influenced to move away from God. This world is bad enough the way it is, and further rejection of God will only make it worse. I highly doubt humanity needs any more tragedy, death, or spiritual darkness.

Ha. That's hilarious.

There's a huge difference between Christ and religion, y'know. Most people dimiss Christianity as foolish because they'd rather run the show than trust anyone else, especially the Father who created them to begin with.

Ha. That's hilarious.
It's even more 'funny' that you hate Christianity yet a religion exists where people are coerced to kill others with a bomb attached to their chest:csad: Religion isn't the root of evil in the world, man is.

Yes, of course. Go immediately to extreme Islamic religious zealots that suicide bomb people.

I think this is the point where I say that Western Religions do a lot of damage as well, then you point out that they also do good. I yell crusades, and then we're nowhere different than where we started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"