Can Movies really change your faith?

There's a huge difference between Christ and religion, y'know. Most people dimiss Christianity as foolish because they'd rather run the show than trust anyone else, especially the Father who created them to begin with.

Actually, the fertilization of an egg and spermatozoa created me. Also, I dismiss Christianity because of its Holy Book, and the fact that it just doesn't pass the test for me. And, yes. I'm basing this on the 'flawed human intuition,' before you ask. That's all we have to go on; even you, much as you wish to deny it.

I hold nothing against Jesus. He had some great things to say. And I hold nothing against Christians. Hell, If I found something that convinced me that the Judeo-Christian-Muslim-Mormon-JW-etc. God existed, then yes, I'd become a Christian. But nothing has done that so far. Not the Bible (or the various explanations given by apologetics and such for all the horrid things therein), not church, not bible-study, nothing. I've researched Christianity, as well as other religions, extensively, and, for me, it just doesn't hold up.

Really, you've gotta stop generalizing.

I speak in generalties because whenever I get specific, all the God-haters crawl out of the woodwork to label me negatively. Another reason is that many situations can apply to more than one group, so in those cases speaking generally can work better.

And as for your research, you can try and make sense of God through your intellect all you want, but at a certain point we all have to take some things on faith.

Well, I personally get concerned when people are influenced to move away from God. This world is bad enough the way it is, and further rejection of God will only make it worse. I highly doubt humanity needs any more tragedy, death, or spiritual darkness.

Dude, it's all based on faith. Don't you get that? Everything (except agnosticism) is based on FAITH, even atheism. You really don't seem to get this; yes. You believe in your god. Okay. You have faith in your god. Okay. You have proof for your god? No. Okay.

That's called faith. And it's really all you have to go on. It's not a bad thing, but its true. And, its just as true for all other religions, as well.

I speak in generalties because whenever I get specific, all the God-haters crawl out of the woodwork to label me negatively. Another reason is that many situations can apply to more than one group, so in those cases speaking generally can work better.

And as for your research, you can try and make sense of God through your intellect all you want, but at a certain point we all have to take some things on faith.

Intellect is how I can determine what to have faith in. And, sorry dude, but its not your god. I don't favor t3h Yahw3hs.

And yes, they label you negatively because very often you turn psycho Pat Robertson on everyone, while raving about the "secular liberals."

Really, you've gotta stop generalizing.

Or the other side can generalize and say that Christianity is as bad as Islam because they are both Abrahamic religions and thus come from the same root.

Or the other side can generalize and say that Christianity is as bad as Islam because they are both Abrahamic religions and thus come from the same root.

Exactly. That's exactly right. :up:

Superhobo said:
Intellect is how I can determine what to have faith in. And, sorry dude, but its not your god. I don't favor t3h Yahw3hs.

And yes, they label you negatively because very often you turn psycho Pat Robertson on everyone, while raving about the "secular liberals."
Well, no offense but you don't often see many Christians pushing for homosexuality to be embraced as an "alternative lifestyle", women to legally murder their unborn children, Muslim artifacts to be removed from schools, museums, or government displays, or protecting truly abhorrent messages through anti-Christian films under the blanket of "free speech".

Liberals often challenge and outright oppose everything that God has blessed this country with for the last 231 years. They seek to re-evaluate or even abolish previously-held standards of morality and decency (which, I might add, went majorly uncontested until the 1960s "free love" era).

Well, no offense but you don't often see many Christians pushing for homosexuality to be embraced as an "alternative lifestyle",

Except for these dudes:
http://www.forthebibletellsmeso.org/index2.htm

Muslim artifacts to be removed from schools, museums, or government displays,

Yeah, actually that would be fundie Christians. Way to prove your point. :o

or protecting truly abhorrent messages through anti-Christian films under the blanket of "free speech".

You had to ask God if you could see "Constantine." 'Nuff said.

Liberals often challenge and outright oppose everything that God has blessed this country with for the last 231 years. They seek to re-evaluate or even abolish previously-held standards of morality and decency (which, I might add, went majorly uncontested until the 1960s "free love" era).

Thank you for proving my point.

Your point being that you dislike Christianity as a religion?

passion of the christ changed alot of people...for a small period of time

Actually, "Passion" had a great impact on me, especially the scourging scene.

Yes. I once watched a snuff film. Also had a great impact on me.

Yes, of course. Go immediately to extreme Islamic religious zealots that suicide bomb people.

I think this is the point where I say that Western Religions do a lot of damage as well, then you point out that they also do good. I yell crusades, and then we're nowhere different than where we started.
You hate Christianity yet other religions have and are also killing people for their beliefs. You never once mentioned Western Religions and I never once mentioned Christianity has had a squeeky clean record:huh: I said religion is not the source of evil, people are. Hating a religion is stupid when the people behind it are responsible. It's like people hating guns, alcohol, etc...it's all stupid. People are responsible for what they do, they just use race, religion, culture, etc...to justify their hate.

You hate Christianity yet other religions have and are also killing people for their beliefs. You never once mentioned Western Religions and I never once mentioned Christianity has had a squeeky clean record:huh: I said religion is not the source of evil, people are. Hating a religion is stupid when the people behind it are responsible. It's like people hating guns, alcohol, etc...it's all stupid. People are responsible for what they do, they just use race, religion, culture, etc...to justify their hate.

Oh I hate all Religions. You shouldn't assume.

And also, you shouldn't say other religions are killing people then try and then say that religion is not the source of evil. But then you would probably say that Christianity is different from those religions but I pointed out earlier that Islam and Christianity are the same thing if you go back to the root of them both.

So... pick your point. Religion either kills people or it isn't a source of evil.

What your parents do with their free time is none of my business:o :woot:

Yes yes. I see what you did there. Implied that my parents are godless and thus would make horrible films where they rape and kill innocent people for no reason.

Oh I hate all Religions. You shouldn't assume.

And also, you shouldn't say other religions are killing people then try and then say that religion is not the source of evil. But then you would probably say that Christianity is different from those religions but I pointed out earlier that Islam and Christianity are the same thing if you go back to the root of them both.

So... pick your point. Religion either kills people or it isn't a source of evil.

Yes yes. I see what you did there. Implied that my parents are godless and thus would make horrible films where they rape and kill innocent people for no reason.
Can you see what you type from way up there:huh: Secondly, how can religion kill people? Is religion a masked menace that runs around stabbing people when they aren't looking:huh: Lastly, the bold part at the end, I just really don't know what to say:o If you are a prime example of what atheism or agnosticism is...then thank God I have religion because you are one, for lack of better words, f-ed up person. You are arguing so passionately about something that you don't understand which leads to your puzzling and overdramatic rebuttles.

Although I don't agree with Superhobo, he's smart and presents a well framed set of points. He's one of the few atheists/agnostics on here that know what they are talking about, there is about the same amount of tolerant and knowledgeable theists on here as well.

how can religion kill people?

You hate Christianity yet other religions have and are also killing people for their beliefs.

Ta-da.

If you are a prime example of what atheism or agnosticism is...then thank God I have religion because you are one, for lack of better words, f-ed up person. You are arguing so passionately about something that you don't understand which leads to your puzzling and overdramatic rebuttles.

Well, I might not be at the top of my game in the middle of the night for theological debate. So I need a little rest, that makes me a f-ed up person how?

Ta-da.

Well, I might not be at the top of my game in the middle of the night for theological debate. So I need a little rest, that makes me a f-ed up person how?
I will debate with you when you quit thinking about how your parents rape and kill people:huh: :cwink:

I will debate with you when you quit thinking about how your parents rape and kill people:huh: :cwink:

So you make a joke about my parents which I respond with sarcasm. And that gets you out of explaining your simultaneous telling me to get off my high horse as you get up on yours?

Just throwing this in. People can have faith without beig a-holes and idiots. People don't know how to practice religion, which is why I'm fairly sure that we should do away with them all. Since forever people were killing each other over religion, and I'm sure the Muslims didn't start the slaughter.

People can have faith without beig a-holes and idiots. People don't know how to practice religion, which is why I'm fairly sure that we should do away with them all.

Someday, there's going to be someone who's in charge who thinks this way. And he's going to demand everyone get the number "666" branded on their body to prove that they agree.

Aside from people not knowing how to prctice religion, it seems like you can't read and digest. If someone in the future believes that we should do away with religion, why the hell would he have everyone put the mark of the beast on their body? Only religious freaks and vegetarians try to force people to believe in what they do.

I'm pretty sure my way of thinking wont produce a psychotic dictator. Without religion people will actually have to make decisions about things that really matter without being idiotically biased. Oh noes. :whatever:

A piece of fiction can make someone question their faith, it is possible.

then again, anything can. Human beings are pretty fickle human beings. They don't listen to reason when its front of them but happily accept fiction and use that as a reason for changing their moral compass...

such is the way it has always been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"