Can Movies really change your faith?

CieloAzul said:
If someone in the future believes that we should do away with religion, why the hell would he have everyone put the mark of the beast on their body?
Revelation states that during the tribulation, the Antichrist will control the world, and everyone on Earth will be required to take the "mark of the beast". No one will be allowed to buy or sell without bearing the mark, and anyone who refuses will be put to death. The Antichrist does this because his purpose is to turn as many as he can away from God, and towards himself. It's all part of Satan's deceptive plan, and someday, it will happen. Those who accept Christ will be rescued before the Tribulation hits, but all who refuse will be left on Earth for that 7-year period. It will be the most terrible time in all history: worse than Hitler, Mussolini, Ho Chi Minh, World War II, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, and the Iraqi War all combined. I don't know about any of you, but I'm definitely glad I accepted Christ. It means that I not only have eternal salvation, but I won't be here for hell to literally break loose.

Actually you will. Cause you judge, and that is a job left only for Jesus and God.

Yes, a movie can change your faith.
For instance, I now believe strongly in talking lions and polar bears.
And I'll saw your head off if you make fun of talking lions and polar bears. :cmad:

Actually you will. Cause you judge, and that is a job left only for Jesus and God.

There is a difference from judging and correcting. I'm assuming you are thinking of the verse where it says something to the effect of do not judge, or you will be judged. That verse is about judging one's heart on whether they are saved or not.

For those who are Christians, we are supposed to try and point out when someone is doing wrong. "remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins." - James 5:20

Either way, shouldn't we stay on the topic of movies changing one's faith? :)

Gilpesh said:
Christians are called to "judge" through evaluation, letting people know through love which actions are right or wrong. The type of "judgment" God deals with is condemnation, and Scripture clearly states "there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus".

There is a difference from judging and correcting. I'm assuming you are thinking of the verse where it says something to the effect of do not judge, or you will be judged. That verse is about judging one's heart on whether they are saved or not.

For those who are Christians, we are supposed to try and point out when someone is doing wrong. "remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins." - James 5:20

Revelation states that during the tribulation, the Antichrist will control the world, and everyone on Earth will be required to take the "mark of the beast". No one will be allowed to buy or sell without bearing the mark, and anyone who refuses will be put to death. The Antichrist does this because his purpose is to turn as many as he can away from God, and towards himself. It's all part of Satan's deceptive plan, and someday, it will happen. Those who accept Christ will be rescued before the Tribulation hits, but all who refuse will be left on Earth for that 7-year period. It will be the most terrible time in all history: worse than Hitler, Mussolini, Ho Chi Minh, World War II, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, and the Iraqi War all combined. I don't know about any of you, but I'm definitely glad I accepted Christ. It means that I not only have eternal salvation, but I won't be here for hell to literally break loose.

:whatever:

But really. If a movie can change your faith, I got some shiny objects to keep you entertained for the rest of your life.

Nothing wrong with being secure with my faith, Gilpesh. I know I'm saved not through my own actions, but through what Jesus has already done for me, and for everyone else as well. We choose to recieve salvation through faith in Christ's sacrifice, and thus recieve salvation. It's all very simple, but people tend to complicate things sometimes.

I'll see your double true and raise you a triple true. :up:

I'm a Catholic, which some of the truly faithful are going to call me a terrible one in a second.

I don't believe being a Christian means diddly squat. I am more a less sick of the preaching, I refuse to believe that the god I believe in, a merciful one, will send any good person, whom is a non-believer to hell. There's a difference between being a good person, and being an evil one in my mind. An any all knowing god will know how each person got through life, how their mind came to the conclusions it did. It's not as simple as the olden days, no angel comes down to many people anymore preaching the will of god.

When I used to go to good ol' Sunday school it hit me one day "wait, Jesus is a jew... why arn't we?" Then I realized Catholisim is basically being a Jew + Christ + new Traditions. Then I started to educate myself, wait... the Bible has been edited hundreds of times? Well then, even if god truly spoke through those men, we're all f****d arn't we?

I have nothing against what is taught in religions, and yes, I do believe in Christ. But I don't buy into the whole everyone who's not Christian goes to hell bull****. If it's true, then heck, I'll go just because I was wrong, and face it. As of right now, most religions seem interconnected in very distinct ways, some sharing the same god.

As for these books, and movies... if you let a fictional story switch around YOUR beliefs you are entirely weak-willed. I don't see what is offensive about the stories nor the movie in anyway. They are just that, stories from another person, doesn't make it fact, doesn't make it offensive. Heck, because I want to be a story writer, people make me wary, if I write something anti-god will I be trampled over by groups, even if it's a stupid fictional story?

This is a bunch of fuss over nothing. Heck, I found making the Passion of the Christ far more offensive, I'll remember WHY he died, not how, thank you very much.

FrostBite said:
I don't believe being a Christian means diddly squat. I am more a less sick of the preaching, I refuse to believe that the God I believe in, a merciful one, will send any good person, whom is a non-believer to hell.
Well, if you truly think about it, God doesn't send people to hell. We choose to go there, by the way we have lived. Jesus said He was the only way, which means anyone without Him is doomed.

There's a difference between being a good person, and being an evil one in my mind.
Good and evil are absolute to God. He sees all sin as equal from little white lies to global terrorism, and everything in between. We, as mortals, are limited by time, space, and our own preconceptions, whereas He is not. God sees things much more clearly than we ever will, and simply asks for us to trust Him over ourselves.

Any all knowing god will know how each person got through life, how their mind came to the conclusions it did.
God sees everything we do, at any and all times. He knows us better than we know ourselves.

It's not as simple as the olden days, no angel comes down to many people anymore preaching the will of God.
What makes you think that God doesn't work through people to instruct others about His will, or still send angels? People have reported heavenly visitations for years, and its not just the loony ones who make those claims.

When I used to go to good ol' Sunday school it hit me one day "wait, Jesus is a jew... why aren't we?"
Well, Christ was called "King of the Jews", and was of Jewish ancestry. However, He also made it clear that He came not to abolish the Law, but to correct it, and deliver those who were trying to be "good enough" on their own. God's Law cannot redeem anyone; its purpose is to convict, so folks will repent and turn to Christ for deliverance.

Then I realized Catholicism is basically being a Jew + Christ + new Traditions.
Elaborate, please...

Then I started to educate myself, wait... the Bible has been edited hundreds of times?
The only editing done to the Scriptures in nearly 2,000 years has been strictly for clarification and translation purposes. The messages and contexts that God sought to include in His Word have always remained intact. Anyone who says otherwise is either misguided, or lying through their teeth.

Well then, even if god truly spoke through those men, we're all f****d aren't we?
That's precisely the point, that without God we're all screwed over. Christ came to bridge the gap between a holy, perfect God and a fallible, sinful, selfish human race. But this redemption is dependent on accepting Christ as Lord and Savior. Jesus made it clear: "He who is not working for me is actually working against me."

I have nothing against what is taught in religions, and yes, I do believe in Christ.
I have a news flash for ya - Satan believes in Christ, too. He knows the truth, but has deceived himself for so long, that he's convinced he's going to win. The Pharisees were so preoccupied with old traditions, they failed to see God's truth, even when presented with it face-to-face. Do you really want to model your own mindset after them?

But I don't buy into the whole everyone who's not Christian goes to hell bull****. If it's true, then heck, I'll go just because I was wrong, and face it.
Why would you take such a terrible risk, when Christ guarantees eternal salvation from hell for all who accept and embrace Him? From your wording, it sounds like a rather foolish move.

I found making the Passion of the Christ far more offensive.
Any particular reason, aside from the violence (which, by the way, doesn't even hold a candle to how barbaric the real Crucifixion was)?

I'll remember WHY he died, not how, thank you very much.
Just out of curiosity, why do you honestly think Jesus died?

It's hard for Christians to be of the world and still live in it... Christians are supposed to set an example and that's why they're against this movie.... They want to show the world a little louder than usual what's right and wrong and who you're supposed to follow (not what).

So the world is going to hell and this Christ guy, instead of trying to do something to save it, is just gonna take some of his friends, and let the rest of the world face their doom?

Kanon said:
So the world is going to hell and this Christ guy, instead of trying to do something to save it, is just gonna take some of his friends, and let the rest of the world face their doom?
Christ came to give us eternal life with Him, but whether we choose to accept it or not is on us. God sees young children as innocent, but we all reach a certain point where we choose to love and embrace God, or hate and reject Him. God calls His followers "sheep", and says He will separate them from the "goats" (i.e. the unbelievers) at the end of days. We have until that moment (or our mortal death, whichever comes first) to decide which we will side with: God through Jesus Christ, or everyone else.

Those who are raptured are taken away for seven years, during which the Tribulation occurs. the shock of millions disappearing will be enough to make some rethink their position; others, not so much. But God will not force himself upon us. He's simply set a chain of events in motion, and asks, "Who will you trust? I offer you life, and life more abundantly, both in this world and the next. the enemy moves about this world, like a lion to devour you. Make your choice."

Christ came to give us eternal life with Him, but whether we choose to accept it or not is on us. God sees young children as innocent, but we all reach a certain point where we choose to love and embrace God, or hate and reject Him. God calls His followers "sheep", and says He will separate them from the "goats" (i.e. the unbelievers) at the end of days. We have until that moment (or our mortal death, whichever comes first) to decide which we will side with: God through Jesus Christ, or everyone else.

Those who are raptured are taken away for seven years, during which the Tribulation occurs. the shock of millions disappearing will be enough to make some rethink their position; others, not so much. But God will not force himself upon us. He's simply set a chain of events in motion, and asks, "Who will you trust? I offer you life, and life more abundantly, both in this world and the next. the enemy moves about this world, like a lion to devour you. Make your choice."

So, you are evil just by not believing? that's mean...

Due to the Fall in the Garden of Eden, we are all born with a fallen nature, that desires to sin against God. But if we have faith in Him, God will give us the spiritual strength to resist those evil impulses, and serve Him over ourselves.

Long rant that I've heard all before.

Sorry, I am not looking for a sermun. If I want to talk religiously and sensibly I'll do so with my preist.

To answer your last 3 questions.

Might be a foolish move to you, but you believe in Christ is foolish to an Athiest, or a Hindu person, whats the difference? I'll take my chances with following what I hold to be true, if you want to believe that most of my family members and signifcant other will spend an eternity in eternal damnation then I'll gladly go with them.

To the second I found it offensive because it was depicting his death, not the reasons behind it.

To the Third I know he died for us, to absolve us of our sins. I'd rather remember that he died for the people of the planet, and not watch how he was mangled on the cross for 2 and a half hours. But hey, to each their own I suppose.

Really if you bother responding to me, I am not looking for a religious preaching. I have my beliefs you have yours. You believe your right, I believe I am, everyone in the world believes they are for one reason or another. Go on a tangent and I won't even bother looking.

I am consistantly baffled as to why people don't understand when they "know" their religion is right, millions of others "know" their OTHER religion is right.

So, you are evil just by not believing? that's mean...

LOL I am sorry, I couldn't help but laugh while reading this. Reminded me of "The Mist", "Hey Lady, I believe in god too, I just don't believe he's the vengeful blood-thirsty a**hole you do!"

Frostbite, from everything I've read of yours in this thread, you sound more like a unitarian than a Catholic. If you don't believe that salvation through Christ is necessary to enter Heaven, then what compelled you to follow him in the first place?

Furthermore, I ask you: why would someone want to go to Heaven and be with Christ forever, if they do not even believe in Him, or perhaps even despise Him and his people? God cannot force people to love Him, because forced love is rape, and God is not a rapist. So he gave people an alternative (hell), where they will be eternally separated from God if they do not want to be with Him. It's really not that complicated. If you love God and want to be with Him forever, you can follow his Word and go to heaven. And if you don't want to, then He won't force you, but you will have to accept the alternative, which is far less pleasant-- but nothing compared to the torture that would be being in God's presence without first being cleansed by Christ.

Frostbite, from everything I've read of yours in this thread, you sound more like a unitarian than a Catholic. If you don't believe that salvation through Christ is necessary to enter Heaven, then what compelled you to follow him in the first place?

Furthermore, I ask you: why would someone want to go to Heaven and be with Christ forever, if they do not even believe in Him, or perhaps even despise Him and his people? God cannot force people to love Him, because forced love is rape, and God is not a rapist. So he gave people an alternative (hell), where they will be eternally separated from God if they do not want to be with Him. It's really not that complicated. If you love God and want to be with Him forever, you can follow his Word and go to heaven. And if you don't want to, then He won't force you, but you will have to accept the alternative, which is far less pleasant-- but nothing compared to the torture that would be being in God's presence without first being cleansed by Christ.
Hell is simply the total absence of everything that God is: life, love, light, joy, peace, hope, faith...none of that is in hell. It is a realm that's completely devoid of anything positive; in essence, it's the total embodiment of death, darkness, and eternal hopelessness. As for Tim's comment, "being in God's presence without cleansing" equals death, since no mortal can look upon the Father's face and live.

Oh I'm a Catholic, but being a Catholic doesn't mean I have to blindly follow anything. You act as if everyone in a religion doesn't question, doesn't wonder. I'm not saying you don't have the right to believe what you want, but some people in here whether they be Athiest or Christian freak out and believe their way is the one true way they act as if THEY are infallible themselves for picking a religion.

What if you die and you find out it's your last reincarnation, Hindu's were right, Surprise! What would you do just go "NO NO, THIS CANNOT BE!" ?

For future refrence you CAN believe in GOD and NOT be a Christian not everyone believes Jesus is a savior like we do, but that doesn't mean they can't believe in the Lord. For one, my significant other is extremely spiritual, and loves the Lord. She's just not Christian, she doesn't fit in any religion so to say, but that doesn't mean she cannot believe in God.

What everyone seems to miss is that every religious person in the world "knows" they are right. Every very religious person has some event that lead them to believe that they "know" what is out there. They all know what their God(s) true word is. So get in line with the other several religions.

I'm Catholic, but I won't be a freaking egotistic nut-job and think my religion is the only one that could be right. There's a difference between believeing, and closing my mind to think I am the only one who could be right on a subject that can or cannot be proven.

Then again, let's test it, how about one of us vouch to stick a fork in a light socket while the others wait with 911 on the line so they can resusitate us and THEN we'll preach the word of God after her talks to us face to face.

The close mindedness I hear every time a religious debate is brought up from BOTH sides is ASTOUNDING. Ah... god the good old days when I had to do a research paper on the intolerance of religious and non-religious people... dang I was so f***ing good at p***ing everyone off in that room.

Again, don't get me wrong, we follow the same faith. I just approach it in an entirely different way were God is not a d**k that seperates people from him. There's a difference from being a good person with bad choices like say.. picking the wrong religion, and actually being a bad person.

I've been b****ed at from people from just about every sect of Christianity for being CATHOLIC, man oh man, I am pretty sure Jesus is nearly upset with how it all turned out. We have internal fights over the same god, bastardizing eachother over minor differences of opinion.

And whether or not people realize this... when you talk down to me and others like this as if you have died and come back yourselves; you're driving people away from the religion. I know plenty of people whom have left Christianty for the way you people talk to others you preach like you yourselves are prophets and have been specially picked to force a religion on others, EVEN WHEN WE'RE part of it!

Okay, since this the point of my posts are going to COMPLETELY fly over your heads... how about we end on this note... leave people alone.

If you think I'm going to hell, let me be happy, let me treat people well (which I do,) let me go to Church, pray to god, go to confession, and try to be about just the best damned person I can be. THEN AFTER I die, and I am proven wrong by all of you infallible preachers, I can go to Hell and live without god for the rest of my eternal after life. Then I can say "AH F***! I WAS WRONG... well this sucks."

But at least leave me alone, and let me be a good person and live happily until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"