Can nitpicks completely ruin a CBM for you?

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
I have nitpicks that completely ruin fan favorites like Batman Begins and SM2.

Anyone else?

I nitpicked the X-Men movies to death so yeah in my case it can ruin a CBM for me lol.

Mystique being Professor X’s foster sister and random X-Men characters treated as villains and background scenery pissed me off.

If nitpicks are complaints that can at least seem petty, it's rare but they did for me significantly hurt The Dark Knight and pretty much ruined the first Spider-Man. Spider-Man especially feels like an OK movie with about 5 really bad scenes that drag it down to below average.

Last edited:
Basically what The Joker said, although I guess if there were enough of them then in theory they could add up to the equivalent of larger complaints, but I'd be hard pressed to think of that ever happening in a movie. The closest would be something like The Last Jedi (I know it's not a CBM), where there are a series of problems that by themselves aren't fatal but add up enough to make me really dislike it.

I generally think that if you're focusing on trivial things then the movie's failing to hold your attention to begin with.

Spider Man 2 was a film that was boring me, and then ultimately ruined itself when Doc Ock dropped a small sun into a river..... because that wouldn't create a cloud of superheated steam and flash boil half the city, right ? Is that a nitpick ?

I have nitpicks that completely ruin fan favorites like Batman Begins and SM2.

Anyone else?

It's got to be much more than a nitpick. I can give you five examples in recent memory where I think there's at least one character who is adapted poorly, but I still like the overall product: BvS, Endgame, Spider-man 3, Civil War, and Iron Man 3.

Basically what The Joker said, although I guess if there were enough of them then in theory they could add up to the equivalent of larger complaints, but I'd be hard pressed to think of that ever happening in a movie. The closest would be something like The Last Jedi (I know it's not a CBM), where there are a series of problems that by themselves aren't fatal but add up enough to make me really dislike it.

I generally think that if you're focusing on trivial things then the movie's failing to hold your attention to begin with.

You are probably onto something, in that a movie may attract a lot of nitpicking as part of general dislike, which is not because the nits are actually bad, but because some other, underlying and unrecognized, problem is torpedoing the movie. Or basically, "Tangible Details Theory" striking again, with real problems that cannot be accurately conceptualized get substituted by whatever minor complaints stand out and can readily be described.

I felt that with the Dark Knight Rises. There was an underpinning that bothered me so I just couldn't help but nitpick the heck out of it. It's pretty engaging to a point I think is why.

Shark Boy and Lava Girl I don't think I'd really bother to nitpick.

I mean, I liked TDKR well enough, but it definitely suffered from pacing and structural issues. . . which are exactly the kind of "hard to quantify" problems that diminish the experience but leave the viewer grasping for something tangible to point to and either go "Its bad because this" or "Its actually good because this".

I think all 3 Nolan films place Batman in a realistic context. Christopher Nolan's views on what is structure and what is chaos are certainly infused in all 3 but the Dark Knight Rises perhaps a bit more heavy handedly.

I remember reading articles such as this one at the time of the film's release: Christopher and Jonathan Nolan Explain How A TALE OF TWO CITIES Influenced THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

When I saw the film, I could tell it was very pro-structure or pro-status quo if you will and I see a lot of problems in our capitalistic society that I don't think the film is really sensitive towards in some way I can't describe.

All depends on how 'big' we let the nit-pick influence our thoughts, feelings or approach to the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"