Can there be hope for "Hellboy 3" if the reboot bombs?

a user

Civilian
Reaction score
It may be Mike Mignola's franchise and not Guillermo del Toro's, but if the reboot bombs financially or really does turn out to be a bad movie, what do you think?

Or do you think the trailer for the reboot isn't bad like it's made out to be?

If this bombs - and it will - then it just shows there is no interest in the franchise

I think Del Toro is sadly done with this. His plate seems really full anyway at the moment.

If the reboot fails they aren't going to go back to the previous version that didn't make any money either. Especially since GDT said that his final film in the trilogy would require a huge budget.

If this fails the Hellboy franchise is probably dead for a long time to come.

It's a shame we won't see a Hellboy 3 with Perlman and GDT.
I also don't think this new Hellboy will make good business at the the box office. The good thing might be that it will likely have a lower budget making the profitability bar more accessible. I still see it struggling to be successful.

If the reboot fails they aren't going to go back to the previous version that didn't make any money either. Especially since GDT said that his final film in the trilogy would require a huge budget.

This

If this bombs - and it will - then it just shows there is no interest in the franchise

I have to agree with these, sadly.

Honestly you never know. Reboots are back-firing and studios are finding success with belated sequels like Halloween. If this new Ghostbusters film pays off, or Terminator, or Robocop etc etc then Hellboy could become of interest in this wave of "back to original continuity" film-making. It would certainly be a popular proposition with us nerds, not sure of the odds that it would attract a significant audience though.

That's actually a valid point.

But those movies mentioned are classics. The Del Toro Hellboy films have its fan but nowhere near the popularity of the original Halloween, Ghostbusters, Terminator or RoboCop movies.

True, but it shows precedent.

If the new one bombs, there won’t be hope for Hellboy period.

There really is no precedence comic film wise of this ever happening.

There are long continuing franchises of course that get rebooted then rebooted again. Comic film wise this just becomes too confusing for general audience for a variety of reasons including interconnected films, multiple versions of said character adapted on screen, and the medium it's supposed to be adapted from being comic books which go on and on with certain stories/depictions to choose from.

I saw the latest trailer for the reboot in front of Captain Marvel. I'm curious how much was spent on it because it looks bigger than I expected. Every penny was wasted not giving it to Del Toro and Perlman.

Honestly, after seeing what's happened to Selma Blair's health I doubt this is even possible.

No.

Basically if this doesn't do well I agree Hellboy as a franchise will be done for at least 5-10 years.

I want it to do well because I love the character but the fact that its out a week after Shazam and Pet Cemetery, two week after Dumbo. Then two weeks after its release you have Endgame that's a small window to make the money it needs for a sequel. Hopefully the lower budget will mean it does it makes what it needs.

I saw the latest trailer for the reboot in front of Captain Marvel. I'm curious how much was spent on it because it looks bigger than I expected. Every penny was wasted not giving it to Del Toro and Perlman.
I think as much as this new one cost it still costs less then what GDT wanted.
But I agree it looks a lot more expensive then I thought. From what they were saying, I thought it'd be a lot more down and gritty and cheap. ALmost like one of the early Underworld movies

Well, I’m not sure what happened to the actual thread for the new Hellboy movie but it looks like it’s going to bomb hard. That said, I doubt they’ll let Del Toro make another film because I don’t think the interest in the character is there anymore.

How this Hellboy movie is doing described in one GIF:funny:

After a period of mourning I see Hellboy coming back as a TV show. Mignola's creepy ghost stories are some of his best work with the character and are better suited for the small screen.

After a period of mourning I see Hellboy coming back as a TV show. Mignola's creepy ghost stories are some of his best work with the character and are better suited for the small screen.

I hope you are right I just have a really bad feeling this is going to leave Hellboy like Howard The Duck after that movie lol

That’s what they should have done if they wanted to reboot it. Shame too; I’ve always been a fan of Neil Marshall but it sounds like he might have Tranked himself out of anymore big directing gigs with this film.

I hope you are right I just have a really bad feeling this is going to leave Hellboy like Howard The Duck after that movie lol

But even Howard came back, though it took nearly three decades. A couple of cameos in the GOTG series and now his own animated series on Hulu. And with streaming services desperate for content I don't see Hellboy sitting on the sidelines for THAT long. I think about 5 years and we're good to go with Hellboy: The Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"