Cancelled shows of Tomorrow: The War on Chuck Lorre - Part 9

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]496817[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]478931[/split]

3. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

When were threads allowed to have over 1000 posts? I thought that is when it closes and a new one opens. :huh:

Eh, nevermind. :o

FIRST!

#3 Docker2.0, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  4. rashad

rashad Hype Board Junkie

5. rashad

rashad Hype Board Junkie

6. squeekness

squeekness The mighty squeek!

7. Shifty

Shifty Chief of Surgery

Vulture's Fall 2016 Commitment Calculator

I have 14 shows and 96 hours, 18 minutes. That will probably drop off if AHS loses me like it usually does 6-7 episodes into the season and if The Walking Dead continues to annoy.

8. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Registered

Saw a lot of the new shows. The only one I like on NBC is The Good Place with Kristen Bell. Designated Survivor is pretty good. Lethal Weapon is okay. McGuyver isn't that great.

The one Fox show that is a bit intriguing is Pitch. I have a few thoughts on that show but I think it has a bit of staying power (even though the ratings the first week don't prove it) and here are to me the reasons why:

- It's the "Sleepy Hollow" factor. Like Sleepy Hollow, it has a female lead who is African American. Also, remember the outrage that show had when Abbie Mills died and Nicole Beharie left the show. Fox also seeks responsibility. They could have not brought the show back for a fourth season but they did instead and instead of insisting that the producers replace Nicole with another African American woman, they allow Sleepy Hollow to hire Janina Gavankar, who is a woman of color but an Indian American. Abbie Mills was a strong and tough character who also had her flaws. They could have been reasonable and moved Lyndie Greenwood up to the lead and let season four be Ichabod and Jenny and it could still be Sleepy Hollow instead of one in name only. There's been zero indication that she's even going to be back after the changes made to that show.

Pitch will not be gone after one season, otherwise Fox is left with Cookie Lyon as the top black woman on their network. I think Fox learned their lesson from the Sleepy Hollow backlash.

- The show has the support of MLB. That does not guarantee rating success, but it will help the show last for at least more than one season.

9. THUNDERSTRIKE

THUNDERSTRIKE BLAH BLAH YADDA ****IN' YADDA YADDA...

I saw the first episode of Pitch... I liked it and thought it was pretty good, though I did NOT expect the ending involving Ginny Baker's father...

10. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Registered

or for that matter a bearded Mark Paul Gooslaar.

I remember Kylie Bunbury from other shows, I don't recall her ever looking like she does in Pitch but it likely has to do with all of the training she's gone through on the show.

I guess Pitch takes Mark Consuelos (who plays the GM) out of the running to permanently co-host with his wife Kelly Ripa.

#10 Dr. Evil, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  11. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Designated Survivor and Hooten & The Lady are the only two new shows that have debuted this season that I like so far.

12. THUNDERSTRIKE

THUNDERSTRIKE BLAH BLAH YADDA ****IN' YADDA YADDA...

Designated was pretty good... Hooten, I'll be watching the first two episodes later tonight... and you can't go wrong with Ophelia Lovibond...

13. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Registered

Does Shonda Rhimes have any new shows this year?

14. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Registered

Based on two episodes of Pitch, I'll be surprised if Kylie Bunbury isn't nominated for a Golden Globe. I think the two people she's likely to bump off are Taraji P. Henson or Viola Davis, especially if the latter is nominated for "Fences." Shonda Rhimes shows lose steam among critics very fast and the Hollywood Foreign Press probably think Fences is a better performance for Davis. Henson won last year, but Cookie doesn't do anything for me this season. Henson has "Hidden Figures" coming out, but I'm not sure it'll screen for critics before the Globe nominations are announced.

Ratings for the pilot hasn't been great due to an awful lead in, but I have heard a report that this show will air during Fox's Baseball playoffs, when all of their other shows will be off so that could be good for Pitch.

I remember Kylie Bunbury from Twisted. When she was on Twisted, she was cute. But as Ginny Baker, she's hot. If the show hits after a slow start, this could do to Bunbury what Empire did to Henson or what Scandal did to Kerry Washington. Both Henson and Washington were hosts on SNL based off the roles of Cookie and Olivia Pope, although Henson should have gotten the recognition when she was on Person of Interest as I thought that Carter was a much better character than Cookie. Henson got nominated twice as Cookie and Washington got a nomination too.

Bunbury was okay in Twisted and in Under the Dome, she was okay there as well, but I thought a bit underused. She shines in Pitch.

As I have said before, Fox (and TV in general) needs a strong black woman who resonates with young women positively. And since they (stupidly) allowed the death of Abbie Mills to happen, Ginny Baker is needed. Black women on TV have not been portrayed well in recent seasons. Olivia Pope has done nothing on her show than be the object of obsession to POTUS over the last few years. She's basically the mistress at this point. Annalese Keating has had her issues over the past few seasons. Cookie was a jail bird.

Abbie was a breath of fresh air. She was tough, beautiful, funny, kick-ass and all around awesome in one. She was never anyone's side piece, never had any major personal issues and although not perfect, was kicking ass. She was a law enforcement officer. Then Fox allowed Sleepy Hollow to kill her off. And to top it all off, they didn't replace her with another African American woman. Replace Abbie with Jenny and I am back on board for season four.

As I said in my last post, I think Ginny Baker is Fox saying "we made a mistake in killing Abbie Mills, so we're going to introduce you to a young black woman who is like Abbie, except without the monster killing part and plays baseball."

15. Blue42

Blue42 Registered

16. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

Bad news for Aquarius fans, good news for X-Files fans.

17. squeekness

Pretty sure it was known to be on its way out once they moved it to Saturday. :(

18. Jason Kane

Jason Kane Registered

19. rashad

rashad Hype Board Junkie

20. kane9321

kane9321 oakland's finest

I'm done with gotham...its gotten terrible to watch

21. squeekness

I never made it past the pilot. Too noir for me. :(

22. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I liked the crime noir elements. The nonsensical randomness is what turned me off Gotham.

23. terry78

terry78 BUY MY BOOK!!!!

It's definitely an Elseworlds show. That is the only way to really watch it.

24. Quasar

Quasar Registered

I still watch Gotham, but I always root against the 3 mains: Gordon (aka Bat Bum, basically Batman but has absolute no detective skills; bumbles his way through every case), Alfred (aka Bat Brit, the British version of Gordon), and Bruce Wayne (aka Bat Brat, can't figure anything out for his life, for instance, that the password for all his dad's stuff is his own name!)

25. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

I read a month or so back that the creator of the series is not even a fan of comic books or adapting them. Why he chose to take Batman, one of the most iconic comic book heroes of all time, and turn it into a series is boggling.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet and I'm not ready to abandon it but the series definitely has gone in a different direction than I was expecting or wanting it to.