Sequels Capt. Marvel/Ms. Marvel Film? (Good idea or GREAT idea?)

DrCosmic

Professor of Power
Reaction score
Okay... can this even be done?

More importantly... should it be?

Captain Marvel was a relatively short lived character, popular in spurts and starts, but is sort of the background of the Ms. Marvel character, who's been perennially an Avenger since the 70s. They also are Kree, tying into the Skrull-Kree War if we go there. Your thoughts, guys.

Civil_War_The_Return_Vol_1_1_Textless_Variant.jpg
CaptainMarvelv126.jpg

detail.jpg
Ms_Marvel_by_JPRart.jpg

Well, in terms of the reality of it being done, I don't know the rights issue.

I think if you want to rotate the Avengers Roster after A3, introducing a character like ms. marvel would be a fine choice. Could even go the Agent of Shield route if you wanted too.

I refer to this series a lot, but EMH is so good I think taking cues from some of its episodes (if they have actual tie-ins to the story/movie) isn't a bad idea. Instead of Mar-Vell transferring some power by chance, maybe have him pass on before the threat is neutralized, therefore you can get some screen time with Ms. Marvel and have her defeat whatever enemy it is they face. If doubt this would happen before A2, if it did at all though.

I'm interested with Ms. Marvel because I've seen her on the Avengers line up more often than Captain Marvel and she should be in the Avengers movie series.

With Captain Marvel, I'm not interested.

I'm interested with Ms. Marvel because I've seen her on the Avengers line up more often than Captain Marvel and she should be in the Avengers movie series.

With Captain Marvel, I'm not interested.

You can't have Ms. Marvel without introducing Mar-Vell first, though. Any more than you can introduce Vision and Ultron without Hank Pym.

Yeah guys. There were characters in comics before some of you started reading comics. Just because something is popular of late doesn't mean you disregard things that came before. Things work in cycles. Before the last few years Ms. Marvel was practically a nobody in the MU for the longest time.

I think Yvonne Strahovski could be a good fit for Ms Marvel, but then she could work for most superheroines. Not sure which other actresses. I'd suggest Tricia Helfer but she's getting a bit too old.

Not sure who I would cast as Mar-Vell.

BTW I would hope they go with the Ms Marvel name instead of Warbird.

Aren't they using Ms. Marvel in the MCU TV division.

^Carol Danvers, yes. She's supposed to be recurring cast on the Jessica Jones show. No new news about that show yet, btw. This also confirms that the rights belong to Marvel Studios (As opposed to?)

Yvonne Strahovski would indeed be a great fit. TV or Movie.

But a good point is brought up. There's a ton of reasons not to do Captain Marvel (Cheesy name, unpopular character, etc), and only one reason to do him (he's Ms. Marvel's origin). How do you address that, exactly?

True, cause then you obviously introduce the kree as a heavy hitting race and then is it almost obligatory to introduce the skrulls? You can't have one without the other I don't think, unless you decide to introduce the Black Bolt and the Inhumans (though I have no recollection as to the rights issue).

I suppose you could use Mar-Vell to purely set up Ms. marvel getting her powers in an Abin Sur-type role ala GL, and though that would be less than ideal, it is still an option i suppose.

^Carol Danvers, yes. She's supposed to be recurring cast on the Jessica Jones show. No new news about that show yet, btw. This also confirms that the rights belong to Marvel Studios (As opposed to?)

Yvonne Strahovski would indeed be a great fit. TV or Movie.

But a good point is brought up. There's a ton of reasons not to do Captain Marvel (Cheesy name, unpopular character, etc), and only one reason to do him (he's Ms. Marvel's origin). How do you address that, exactly?

Well he doesn't have to be referred to as Captain Marvel. He could be called Mar-Vell but he's a Kree Captain. If someone puts two and two together, they'd call him Captain Mar-Vell, but then again they might not. Maybe someone like Hawkeye could call him Captain Marvel facetiously if he doesn't want him around. He could reply "It's Mar-Vell" and Clint would say "yeah, whatever."

Abin Suring him would be a huge mistake. I was just posting about this in the Avengers thread. I think the legacy aspect is the key to making this work.

You devote an entire film to Mar-Vell. Set it up so that he's in a relationship with Carol Danvers (doesn't have to be all that serious of one). Then he needs to sacrifice himself towards the end of the film, with a very heroic and noble death, probably saving the universe from something big. Ms Marvel gets her powers during this, and feels the need to pay homage to Mar-Vell, and not let his sacrifice end the legacy of a man she considers great. So she models herself after him, in "superhero name", costume, etc, trying to live up to his example. End it on her making that decision, on a hopeful note.

Or something along those lines.
You write a strong screenplay, assemble a strong cast, and just make the movie

Abin Suring him would be a huge mistake. I was just posting about this in the Avengers thread. I think the legacy aspect is the key to making this work.

You devote an entire film to Mar-Vell. Set it up so that he's in a relationship with Carol Danvers (doesn't have to be all that serious of one). Then he needs to sacrifice himself towards the end of the film, with a very heroic and noble death, probably saving the universe from something big. Ms Marvel gets her powers during this, and feels the need to pay homage to Mar-Vell, and not let his sacrifice end the legacy of a man she considers great. So she models herself after him, in "superhero name", costume, etc, trying to live up to his example. End it on her making that decision, on a hopeful note.

Good ideas, Chewy. He has a pretty cool backstory and you can incorporate most of it but ultimately make it about him turning against his warring race to save his newly adopted one. You would make the story from Carol's point of view and you wouldn't need him to go beyond one installment. Carol would continue there on.

Here's our Carol Danvers:

Yvonne_Strahovski_2.jpg

yvonne_strahovski_01.jpg

Yvonne-Strahovski-Best-Pictures-5.jpg

She's got the right personality and looks for the part. Of course, she could easily play Mockingbird as well.

^Indeed.

Who would you guys cast for Captain Marvel?

And another thing I ran my head into a few times. What would be the exact nature and source of Captain Marvel's powers? In the comics it seems to be a varying combination of tech and biology. Perhaps some tech that's keyed to Kree genetics? Nega Bands or UniBeam?

Well he doesn't have to be referred to as Captain Marvel. He could be called Mar-Vell but he's a Kree Captain. If someone puts two and two together, they'd call him Captain Mar-Vell, but then again they might not. Maybe someone like Hawkeye could call him Captain Marvel facetiously if he doesn't want him around. He could reply "It's Mar-Vell" and Clint would say "yeah, whatever."

Very true.

But what would you call the movie?

I like this, and was thinking of something along these lines as well, though I would definitely have Danvers' relationship with Mar-Vell be very strong, to drive her arc and motivation harder when she gets his powers during his epic sacrifice.

Yeah, "make it good" is always the answer, but that wouldn't make for much of a discussion. :)

Speaking of...

Who's the villain for a "Mar-Vell" movie?

Nitro of course. Just kidding. I think possibly the actual Kree Empire themselves but to put a face on one person maybe Ronan the Accuser show the Supreme Intelegence behind everything but they may be a FOX property under the F4 umbrella.

Fox :argh:

If they don't have the Skrulls I doubt they have the Kree, but they might have Ronan in the same way they have Super-Skrull

^Indeed.

Who would you guys cast for Captain Marvel?

And another thing I ran my head into a few times. What would be the exact nature and source of Captain Marvel's powers? In the comics it seems to be a varying combination of tech and biology. Perhaps some tech that's keyed to Kree genetics? Nega Bands or UniBeam?

Very true.

But what would you call the movie?

Well if it weren't for that Alex Ross story about photographer Phil Sheldon, they could've called it "Marvels".

But they could still call it Ms Marvel. It would be a different kind of superhero movie where there's an already established hero (Mar-Vell) but it's really building towards the creation of the eventual heroine of the movie, Carol Danvers.

Or just call it Captain Marvel. Yes, it's a silly name, but it's catchy. It's no worse than Captain America or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Mar-Vell doesn't have to use that name for himself. It's just what the public call him... which they would do in real life if there really were a Captain Mar-Vell. It's like calling someone Superman or Captain America in real life (which happens... well, at least the latter). There could even be a tiny reference to the Shazam character, as if they were mocking Mar-Vell by comparing him to Batson.

Who's the villain for a "Mar-Vell" movie?

How about Thanos? He could lead into an Avengers sequel.

Or the Skrulls could be the villains.

Last edited:
Well if it weren't for that Alex Ross story about photographer Phil Sheldon, they could've called it "Marvels".

But they could still call it Ms Marvel. It would be a different kind of superhero movie where there's an already established hero (Mar-Vell) but it's really building towards the creation of the eventual heroine of the movie, Carol Danvers.

Or just call it Captain Marvel. Yes, it's a silly name, but it's catchy. It's no worse than Captain America or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Mar-Vell doesn't have to use that name for himself. It's just what the public call him... which they would do in real life if there really were a Captain Mar-Vell. It's like calling someone Superman or Captain America in real life (which happens... well, at least the latter). There could even be a tiny reference to the Shazam character, as if they were mocking Mar-Vell by comparing him to Batson.

It's a little worse than Cap America (which they played as silly in the film's storyline, which is not what I would want) or Sky Captain, especially since it's also the brand name. If Disney comes out with a big budget movie called "Mr. Disney" there are expectations and perceptions that come with that. It could easily be viewed as pretentious, or at the very least, representative of the entire brand.

"Marvels" less so. In fact, make Sheldon a supporting character and call it that.

How about Thanos? He could lead into an Avengers sequel.

Or the Skrulls could be the villains.
Nitro of course. Just kidding. I think possibly the actual Kree Empire themselves but to put a face on one person maybe Ronan the Accuser show the Supreme Intelegence behind everything but they may be a FOX property under the F4 umbrella.

I'm feeling the Kree as the villains. Establishes them for the Kree-Skrull War or use as Thanos' footsoldiers, or whatever. What do you guys think about using Yon-Rogg, a superior officer, and perhaps weaponizing some humans with bio-demolitions, eh? Of course with the Supreme Intelligence in the background/on the wire or whatever.

For casting Captain Marvel, I'd go so far as to say John Hamm. I don't think he wants in the superhero game, but he might enjoy playing a fresher take on that: military, prominent romance, death.

If you can't get him, somebody else intensely likeable who may be willing to do a superhero movie but doesn't want to do a superhero franchise might be a good bet. Your Bradley Coopers and Ryan Goslings and Chris Pines and such. Barring that, an older actor like Aaron Eckhart or a Gerard Butler might enjoy stepping into a more mature hero with more mature themes.

Like your ideas for casting, Cosmic. I was thinking along the lines of an older Mar-Vell, late thirtysomething, as it wouldn't require future installments but would love a Gosling in the role too.

I would prefer a thirty-something Mar-Vell as well. Someone who's not going to be so popular that it ends up being turned into a franchise with the unintended effect of preventing Ms Marvel's own turn in the spotlight.

I don't want someone like Bradley Cooper. Aaron Eckhart could work.

And i do think at least someone in the movie could call him Captain Marvel. Maybe ask where's Billy Batson too, just as a joke. I mean, if your name was John Soupman, don't you think your colleagues would make fun of you and call you Superman? Especially if you do something heroic - eg you're a cop.

I would prefer a thirty-something Mar-Vell as well. Someone who's not going to be so popular that it ends up being turned into a franchise with the unintended effect of preventing Ms Marvel's own turn in the spotlight.

I don't want someone like Bradley Cooper. Aaron Eckhart could work.

And i do think at least someone in the movie could call him Captain Marvel. Maybe ask where's Billy Batson too, just as a joke. I mean, if your name was John Soupman, don't you think your colleagues would make fun of you and call you Superman? Especially if you do something heroic - eg you're a cop.

Somehow, I don't think Feige or Avi or anyone else would be too keen on a joke that pays homage to a DC character. :)

I agree, Abin-Suring him would be the chicken-**** way to go, and even But I doubt it hasn't crossed someone's mind in the very least.

As far as Yvonne Stahovski, she is Carol Danvers in my opinion. Plus, she already is in shape and wouldn't need much more training from being on Chuck for 5 years. I would like to see it as more of being a torch being passed and carrying on the legacy as you've stated before instead of being a simple plot device to give her her powers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"