Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M-2

M-2 Ultimate BAMF

U not a troll, this is a good post. I wonder will they introduce as Falcon with wings when he makes his first appearance or will they keep the wings for the third act of the film?

Maybe the Wings will be part of some elaborate armor, with thrusters, weapons gadgets and some sort of power source (since Tony refuses to share his beloved arc reactor technology). The Wings would basically be for stabilization, ease of flight and maneuvering, with the thrust providing the speed and agility. Sam basically gets the prototype as the suit is expensive and there aren't many Agents willing to die trying to fly this thing. Sam would make it is own by continuously upgrading, repairing and removing certain components, even adding a little color. No one can fly Sam's suit because of all his tinkering, and its really SAM's audacious daring flying that makes him the perfect "Falcon".

2. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

I hope he already has his wings by the time the movie begins, myself.

I'd imagine he made it himself, and its too expensive to produce, or too difficult to master, or maybe he just doesn't wan to market it, so he's the only one using it.

3. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

If Sam is with SHIELD in the movie, I suppose his gear is powered by either Chitauri technology or reverse engineered Destroyer armor technology, the wings can easily explained as derivates from Chitauri biotechnology. New York has changed the MCU, a lot more things are possible now..

4. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Well-Known Member

I like that R_Hythlodeus. Within the MCU, reverse engineering or adaptation of alien tech actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't think of that.

5. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Both, Coulsons Destroyer gun and Item 47, played with that idea. From that to Falcon's gear and wings it is only a small step.

6. BullMcGiveny

At first, I was about to chime in with my usual 'augh, not everything needs to be connected'

But I think you're on to something. Not the destroyer, as I don't see how an automaton with an energy canon for a face leads to wings.

But the Chitauri gliders, and the Leviathans, seemed to remain airborne without any normal means of propulsion. So Chitauri-derived wings for Sam it is.

7. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Bird flight has some advantages over conventional fixed wing designs. There wings designs give them more agility and maneuverability in flight than conventional wing designs. On top of that bird's can get similar flight speeds as equivalent sized model airplanes only its far more energy efficient. The military is currently trying to develop mechanical bird drones for that reason.
    Robotic Bird Takes Flight
    [YT]4l0xavWi7kU[/YT]

California Company Unveils Hummingbird Spy Drone
    [YT]FcXH4iCnck4[/YT]

Example:
    Model Plane vs Magpie
    [YT]SrGCKtvG0gI[/YT]

A bird could out maneuver a missile. They can change directions immediately.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  8. Joeyjojo72

a man-sized bird could NOT outmaneuver a missile. everthing changes when we are talking about a 225 lb man. the wings, to actually work like bird wings, would have to be ENOURMOUS. sorry but your explanation is beside the point given the physics involved. (and its been tested by several sources, including the mythbusters team. its not practical with today's or tomorrows tech. period full stop)

have we actually heard anything about Falcon's power set in the movie, or how he achieves it? I think i read something about biomechanical implants and some kind of serum.

9. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I hope not.
    Granted, the MCU is probably going to be using the "alien reverse engineering" as an excuse for *lots* of things for many movies to come, but I hope Falcon gets his wings from a human source, as comic bookery intended. In particular, Wakandan tech.

10. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Did you just bring Physics to a Comic book fight. :huh:

Ironman's armor isn't aerodynamic. Even with the extra rocket boosters on his back it still would be impossible for him to fly and make all of those turns. Not to mention the G-forces should have kill him when he tired. The suit also doesn't have any means of reducing the shocks that he's constantly absorbing when h'es crashing around. Tony Stark's internal organs should all have ruptured and turned to mush.

Hulk's Body and muscle mass wasn't enough to deliver they type of energy need to stop the Leviathan.

11. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

pretty much everything in the MCU already defies physics....

12. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Not everything, they take a few liberties. Not enough to justify Falcon's 10 foot wingspan giving him flight though. I like the reverse engineered Chitauri and the wings more as slicing weapons/shields/solar panels that help with steering more than anything else.

He wouldn't be using Stark tech because he's a SHIELD guy. I particularly like the idea where he's a SHIELD techie who made the wings for Cap, but ends up having to use them himself in a pinch.

13. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Yeah, if he's a SHIELD agent (just speculation for now), he wouldn't be using Stark tech; but he very well could be using wings that were designed by a very famous Wakandan genius. That's the way it was in the comics, and I think it'd fit just fine in the MCU as well.

14. BullMcGiveny

Yeah, but reverse-engineering Chitauri tech to learn how it works, then using that knowledge to build something different is still getting it from a human source.

That's one set of wings, though. The one with hard-light, I don't remember who made the other one, but it wasn't T'Challa.

I agree that he shouldn't be using Stark tech, because really, we know that Stark is smart and you don't need to tout that at every turn.

15. ctsketch

Stark consults for SHIELD in MCU though

16. BullMcGiveny

I would expect that after the events of the Avengers, he has severed all contact.

Don't think Consultancy would entail devising equipment for them, either.

17. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Yes it was.

18. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Comic book physics can justify an aircraft carrier that weighs approximately >70,000 tons being lifted to 30,000 feet by four turbines. After that, justifying a 225 lb. man flying with ten foot wings is a piece of cake.

19. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Pixie dust?

20. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

lol yeah I always loved the Old Helicarrier's props. lol Reminded me of normal sized umbrellas. lol

21. Joeyjojo72

More like 10 ft per wing and its still completely impractical and obsolete given the tech already available in the MCU. Especially for military applications.

Everything ive read so far suggests that Marvel will indeed be drastically altering the characters powers and equipment for this movie so its good to see they recognize the issues.

22. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Makes one wonder why use the character if that's the case.

23. ctsketch

Need a token black avenger. He'll probably die first in avengers 2, haha

24. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

What have you read that suggests this? Comments in this thread or quotes from the writers of CA:TWS? Marvel has a very good history of adapting its characters plausibly to the film universe. The Falcon will doubtless get the MCU treatment and be as believable to the audience when flying as Iron Man and Thor. There is no plausible reason why either of those characters can fly (no, magic is not a plausible reason), yet everyone accepts them with no problem. Falcon's powers will be fine.

As proof that Falcon being carried aloft 10-foot wings is plausible, I present this video of a golden eagle carrying off a young child.* The bird dropped the baby, but not before lifting off with him and flying several feet. Falcon's wings don't flap like a bird's, but imagine a compact, stylized variation on a hang glider rig with a jetpack for lift. It could definitely work. (Don't watch if ornithophobic!)

[YT]CE0Q904gtMI#![/YT]

* Yes, I'm kidding. Mostly. :oldrazz:

25. Sneakronicity

Sneakronicity Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.