The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emily VanCamp looks slightly young, so I'm hoping she isn't exactly 'Agent 13' yet and is instead just Peggy's granddaughter who Cap falls in love with...And at the end of the film/latter half she is recruited to SHIELD.

I thought all the actresses rumored were or looked like they were young to be Sharon.

I don't know, maybe Sharon is meant to be young for a reason.

I thought all the actresses rumored were or looked like they were young to be Sharon.

I don't know, maybe Sharon is meant to be young for a reason.

They were...Especially Imogen Poots. But then we had people like Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Anna Kendrick who looked slightly older...

She's not Sharon Carter. I am sure of it.

Perhaps Cynthia Schmidt?

She's not Sharon Carter. I am sure of it.

Perhaps Cynthia Schmidt?
You can't be sure of anything, especially that. Sounds more like pulling stuff out of thin air and saying it's solid.

I'm beginning to wonder now if the events of "Winter Soldier" take place right around the same time as "Iron Man 3" does because of the recent info that's been revealed about "Iron Man 3".

It's stated that the President of the US declares war on Mandarin, and that Rhodey's change in his War Machine Design to the Iron Patriot is meant to further symbolize the whole Americana theme when going up against Mandarin as well.

Unless Steve was doing something that was of high importance (which really, the only thing that I can consider to be more important than taking on the Mandarin would be whatever he's about to face in WS), why wouldn't he be assigned to tackle the matter, especially if Stark is considered Dead during that period.

I'm beginning to wonder now if the events of "Winter Soldier" take place right around the same time as "Iron Man 3" does because of the recent info that's been revealed about "Iron Man 3".

It's stated that the President of the US declares war on Mandarin, and that Rhodey's change in his War Machine Design to the Iron Patriot is meant to further symbolize the whole Americana theme when going up against Mandarin as well.

Unless Steve was doing something that was of high importance (which really, the only thing that I can consider to be more important than taking on the Mandarin would be whatever he's about to face in WS), why wouldn't he be assigned to tackle the matter, especially if Stark is considered Dead during that period.

It would be interesting if IM3 and CATWS dovetailed together in some fashion over that; but you're right, there's no way they can avoid addressing Cap's iconography on the Iron Patriot armor. Maybe Cap *will* be part of the "War on Ten Rings," and they'll show Crossbones and Zola and Bucky and HYDRA or whoever Cap fights as having ties to Mandy. The fact that Mandarin is sporting some Captain America iconography and tattoos of his own kinda lend credence to that theory.

Interesting theory and one that does warrant some interesting questions for what Marvel wants to do in Phase 2. To not use CA as the Sentinel of Liberty, like he was in WWII, it must mean he's up to something else (TWS perhaps) or the government feels he's too old-fashioned for the task at hand.

It would be interesting if IM3 and CATWS dovetailed together in some fashion over that; but you're right, there's no way they can avoid addressing Cap's iconography on the Iron Patriot armor. Maybe Cap *will* be part of the "War on Ten Rings," and they'll show Crossbones and Zola and Bucky and HYDRA or whoever Cap fights as having ties to Mandy. The fact that Mandarin is sporting some Captain America iconography and tattoos of his own kinda lend credence to that theory.

Interesting theory and one that does warrant some interesting questions for what Marvel wants to do in Phase 2. To not use CA as the Sentinel of Liberty, like he was in WWII, it must mean he's up to something else (TWS perhaps) or the government feels he's too old-fashioned for the task at hand.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we saw a moment in "Winter Soldier" where Steve is looking at the television and sees a news report regarding something that takes place in "Iron Man 3" like how they did in the Bourne Legacy.

But yeah, something is definitely going on because with Captain America having been firmly established in the Present after the events of "The Avengers", one must wonder on why America wouldn't go to their "Golden Child" for matters like this, especially when he'd be considered on being more of a team player, responsible, and appropriate for this situation.

I do hope that whatever also happens in "TWS" has a big effect on the world like how "Iron Man 3" is having in its story since while I'm up for seeing the more personal stuff like Steve adjusting himself in the present day scenario and dealing with Bucky being the Winter Soldier, I'd also like to see some wide scale things like how the villains are causing several wide scale bad things in the world as well.

Thinking along the same lines about an IM3 connection, and just brainstorming here:

What if Arnim Zola becomes MODOK?
The characters are very similar in concept and look; it's just that Zola has "normal" humanoid limbs, while MODOK has mutant-baby arms and legs, and floats around in a chair.

But other than that, it would be fairly easy to evolve Zola's character into that of MODOK himself, and that would create a direct tie with AIM (which features prominently in IM3) as well as introduce one of Cap (and Marvel's) most iconic foes. Plus, MODOK/AIM makes more sense as a puppet-master for WS than Zola alone does.

Whaddya think, anybody? I'll run it up the flagpole and see who salutes, or throws rocks at it. ;)

I wouldn't mind that as an origin change for MODOK. Anything that gets him out of that ridiculous look is a-okay with me.

Still, he's never screamed "big bad" to me. Always a tool to be used by others rather than a leader.

Either way, Zola or Modok look rather ridiculous. I don't see Modok as the big bad either. He always seems to have been used by AIM as a weapon. He's also far too impersonal to be really used as the main villain. You need someone more humanoid that you can relate to like Baron Zemo or Strucker.

Modok is almost like Master Mould of the Sentinels, or the Kree Supreme Intelligence. He's also more in the realms of V'Ger in Star Trek as opposed to Khan (which Zemo or Strucker would be like).

Either way, Zola or Modok look rather ridiculous. I don't see Modok as the big bad either. He always seems to have been used by AIM as a weapon. He's also far too impersonal to be really used as the main villain. You need someone more humanoid that you can relate to like Baron Zemo or Strucker.

Modok is almost like Master Mould of the Sentinels, or the Kree Supreme Intelligence. He's also more in the realms of V'Ger in Star Trek as opposed to Khan (which Zemo or Strucker would be like).

Good points, and good analogies.
Maybe it could be a situation similar to what IM3 seems to have, where you've got two main villains, and both seem to think that they're the one in charge (Killian and Mandarin). You could have Zola/MODOK as an evil genius rogue AI in an android body, working with a more human ally like Zemo or Lukin or Strucker who's intent on bringing the Bad Old Days back.

Good points, and good analogies.
Maybe it could be a situation similar to what IM3 seems to have, where you've got two main villains, and both seem to think that they're the one in charge (Killian and Mandarin). You could have Zola/MODOK as an evil genius rogue AI in an android body, working with a more human ally like Zemo or Lukin or Strucker who's intent on bringing the Bad Old Days back.

That would be the ideal solution.

Then we could have Chris Pine's Kirk dishing out some logic and causing the rogue AI to self destruct on his own because of some directive he can't disobey. Wait... wrong franchise. :oldrazz:

SFX Magazine is going to have an in-depth interview with Kevin Feige later on, but CBM is quoting an early excerpt. Interesting tidbits about Avengers 2, Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier, Guardians, and Phase II in general.

Relevant to this thread, he says this:

Captain America will showcase… What’s exciting to me about Cap – sort of about Iron Man 3 too if you look at it – is it’s tonally almost like a different genre. Shane Black’s described Iron Man 3 as a Tom Clancy sort of political thriller, which I like a lot. We hired our directors on Cap because they loved our explanation that we really want to make a ’70s political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie. Just like with the first film – we got Joe Johnston because we said, ‘We want to do a ’40s World War Two movie masquerading as a big superhero movie.’ I love that we’re doing a sequel to a film that’s a completely different genre than the first film. I think that’s fun. And the comics do it all the time.”

I'd like to see that 70s political thriller vibe. Manchurian Candidate; Three Days of the Condor; Marathon Man; even this past year's Argo, which pays homage to that era. I almost wish they would've approached Affleck with this now. :yay:

A 70s political thriller is a pretty weird way to describe it.

I would have thought "Winter Soldier" would be more of a spy thriller.

I think we can be pretty sure Cap isn't showing up in Iron Man 2 other than news footage or a picture or something like that.

MODOK should be villain in Ant-Man. Cap has plenty of villains to use, the Ant doesn't.

Plus, it sounds like IM3 might be planting the seeds for MODOK to show up; so if the theory of IM3 and WS taking place at the same time is true, then Big Head wouldn't be around in Cap 2.

A reminder that we have an awesome Steve Rogers for years to come ^_^
tumblr_mj5t3lTNSa1qd4yhbo1_1280.jpg

MODOK should be villain in Ant-Man. Cap has plenty of villains to use, the Ant doesn't.

Plus, it sounds like IM3 might be planting the seeds for MODOK to show up; so if the theory of IM3 and WS taking place at the same time is true, then Big Head wouldn't be around in Cap 2.

Why do you say that? MODOK could have been created by AIM even before the events of IM3 (or even years ago, for that matter). And it's a long shot in the dark right now, but if my Zola-becomes-MODOK theory gets anywhere close to the target, then Zola/MODOK might have been around even during the Cold War era.

I would absolutely hate if they merged Zola and MODOK, that's ruining two cool villains just because what? They sort of resemble each other. Lame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"