The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
43kniJZ.jpg

I know this is a joke, but I think this would be genius if this was an actual poster and Marvel explained the reasons behind it. It would send one hell of a message.

Somebody tell me how the Black Widow was more sexualized than either Mystique or Rogue. One is naked, the other has her ass turned to face the camera while showing half a boob. Neither is presented as anything but eye candy in those shots. At least Scarlett has her weapons drawn and looks like she's ready to seriously **** someone up, not just **** them. I don't recall reading any of these "feminist" objections to the Rogue and Mystique photos, and the reasoning for that ("She's been naked 14 years!") rings so damned hollow.

As a woman I am getting damned tired of this pseudo-feminist faux-rage that is being selectively targeted at some images and not others. Most women have breasts, so if they are photographed their breasts are going to be in picture. The simple fact that you can see breasts (or asses, or legs) does not automatically make the photo "overly-sexualized." Nor does the fact that a woman (or man) is attractive mean that they aren't being valued or taken seriously.

KVmyABy.jpg

088Et8I.jpg

Yeah, I'm not here for selective outcries of sexism. I absolutely agree that sexism (racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.) exist in our media. But I just cannot get worked up over everything like others are. It's just… goshdarn draining for one. And I just don't see the issue at all with the ScarJo poster. They're all clearly photoshopped, sure, but what I see in her poster is elegance and power. Which pretty much personifies Black Widow for me.

Really, though, the one thing I can say about Marvel is that they don't miss an opportunity to exploit their bounties with their male leads. They have RDJ, Hems and Evans exposing their chests. Evans in the very first pic for CATWS gives us good buttshot (see, my avatar). And the teaser poster was gratuitously focused on Evans backside. Also, see Xeno's (previous) avi (before Coulson).

Marvel does a great job with subverting sexualized imagery, in my opinion. This Black Widow poster? It's fine. I love it at least.

Hey! So Chris Evans did a ton of gymnastics training for this movie! And he talks camera angles and choreography for fight scenes. C'mon… don'tcha all want to talk about that?????

*I've never wanted the sneak preview for tomorrow to be more true than now…*

Last edited:
What he said.

The fact that people keep stupidly dismissing the Black Widow's contributions is in itself proof that sexism is still rampant in fandom, not just in Hollywood. Natasha was the key to the heroes winning in not one but two films, yet people still ridicule her as mere eye candy. It's appalling and galling to see that happen even in a discussion of sexism, when one of the most badass heroines around has to be demeaned in order to try to make a point.

OMG YES THIS!!

I am much more disturbed by people saying she was only "eye candy" when everything she's done in all the movies is the exact opposite of that.

Here, somebody on reddit fixed her anatomy.

1nfAKO3.jpg

I can't comment on whether or not she was photoshopped but if she was, someone had to spend some time analysing the image to discover that. In other words, someone spent time looking for any traces of sexism to be present. Which just proves my point even further.

What he said.

The fact that people keep stupidly dismissing the Black Widow's contributions is in itself proof that sexism is still rampant in fandom, not just in Hollywood. Natasha was the key to the heroes winning in not one but two films, yet people still ridicule her as mere eye candy. It's appalling and galling to see that happen even in a discussion of sexism, when one of the most badass heroines around has to be demeaned in order to try to make a point.

Well said.

There is another thing I forgot to add: she is literally the strongest non-superpowered character in the MCU. Yes, out of all the characters we have seen so far that don't have any powers, she literally kicks the most ass.

But nope. I guess even that counts for nothing.

Last edited:
:up: Feels almost like the PC police are in today to make us feel bad for anything that may be seen as having a hint of sex appeal.

The thing is, they're being incredibly selective in what elicits their faux-rage. The DOFP covers didn't cause a ripple, despite being incredibly problematic. There is serious room for feminist criticism of Mystique's presentation on film, but you're not apt to read any on the Internet. The hypocrisy is annoying.

And this marks yet another instance in which there was exciting news about a Marvel film, but the discussion was immediately derailed by people who were more interested in pushing an agenda than the film itself. It's as predictable as it is tiresome.

WTF is all this *****ing about Widow's poster.....?

Jeez, if she's shown from the back, people are complaining about the focus on her ass. Face forward, and apparently it focuses on her chest. What if she turned to the side, would you guys get the pitchforks and torches out for overtly sexualized sideboob?

This is why I mostly try to avoid discussions about gender issues these days.

Sooooo… Chris wants to be a good role model for kids. He also loves dogs. And he called Hugh Jackman a f****r.

Discuss. :cwink:

Nobody is even hinting that people shouldn't express concern over stuff like this but seriously this is one of the least sexualized superheroine images I have ever seen.

The complaints seemingly boil down to "Black Widow has boobs and a waist and I'm angry because I can see them" which is strange because one sees that sort of thing every day if you can be bothered to go outside.

As a woman I am getting damned tired of this pseudo-feminist faux-rage that is being selectively targeted at some images and not others. Most women have breasts, so if they are photographed their breasts are going to be in picture. The simple fact that you can see breasts (or asses, or legs) does not automatically make the photo "overly-sexualized." Nor does the fact that a woman (or man) is attractive mean that they aren't being valued or taken seriously.

One only has to Google 'Social Justice Warriors' and a lot of this behaviour will become crystal clear.

Lol I can't believe this is still being discussed. This really needs to end already.

Somebody tell me how the Black Widow was more sexualized than either Mystique or Rogue. One is naked, the other has her ass turned to face the camera while showing half a boob. Neither is presented as anything but eye candy in those shots. At least Scarlett has her weapons drawn and looks like she's ready to seriously **** someone up, not just **** them. I don't recall reading any of these "feminist" objections to the Rogue and Mystique photos, and the reasoning for that ("She's been naked 14 years!") rings so damned hollow.

KVmyABy.jpg

088Et8I.jpg

All the raging about stuff like this is getting tiresome.

What he said.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes, and yes.

Please, create something better and come back. I'll wait.

Your kidding me right now, right?

- I don't have access to photoshop right now
- I don't have access to the films photoshoots
- Marvel isn't giving me any money
- That poster IS objectively awful, theres no denying it, they can't even get the anatomy right

Do you really want to waste your time defending a piece of crap poster that was crapped out by some lazy hack?

- That poster IS objectively awful, theres no denying it, they can't even get the anatomy right

Do you really want to waste your time defending a piece of crap poster that was crapped out by some lazy hack?

Isn't this your opinion, though?

Just saying.

The complaints seemingly boil down to "Black Widow has boobs and a waist and I'm angry because I can see them" which is strange because one sees that sort of thing every day if you can be bothered to go outside.

Personally, that is what I find sexist. Apparently women can't take pride in their breast/waist sizes, and their beauty by extension. If anything is degrading here, it is the belief that being sexy and showing it is some sort of taboo. It isn't, for both men and women.

Translation: "I'm right, you're wrong; I said so."

Thank you for your intellectually stimulating input.

We've probably spent more time on this than on any of the BTS photos they also released today. I nominate this for the most inane topic of discussion in the Captain America section ever.

Nope. Captain America's feet.

I don't see anything wrong with the poster, I think it's beautifully constructed from a visual standpoint. You're calling an artists work awful and lazy because they slimmed down a waistline (which due to the light source looks a bit slimmer)

I'm not defending anything, but to call this "awful" and the work of a "lazy hack" is out of line. So yes again, please create something better then.

I don't see anything wrong with the poster, I think it's beautifully constructed from a visual standpoint. You're calling an artists work awful and lazy because they slimmed down a waistline (which due to the light source looks a bit slimmer)

I'm not defending anything, but to call this "awful" and the work of a "lazy hack" is out of line. So yes again, please create something better then.

:doh:
24dkktj.jpg
cr3f2x2.jpg

People defend the stupidest **** sometimes, i swear to god. she looks like a freakin giraffe
The only way you'd acknowledge its a poorly done poster is if she had an extra limb... actually, I think some of you would defend it still just to go against the grain

PEOPLE GET PAID MONEY TO DO THIS. THEY SHOULD DO A HALFWAY DECENT JOB. It is an INSULT to REAL artists that crap like this gets okayed because Marvel is lazy when it comes to posters

Last edited:
I hope they come out with a Falcon and Winter Soldier individual poster as well!

I'm so excited for this movie, those behind the scenes photos and Evans interview have only amped up my excitement that much more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"