Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 12

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

I know this is a joke, but I think this would be genius if this was an actual poster and Marvel explained the reasons behind it. It would send one hell of a message.

2. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Yeah, I'm not here for selective outcries of sexism. I absolutely agree that sexism (racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.) exist in our media. But I just cannot get worked up over everything like others are. It's just… goshdarn draining for one. And I just don't see the issue at all with the ScarJo poster. They're all clearly photoshopped, sure, but what I see in her poster is elegance and power. Which pretty much personifies Black Widow for me.

Really, though, the one thing I can say about Marvel is that they don't miss an opportunity to exploit their bounties with their male leads. They have RDJ, Hems and Evans exposing their chests. Evans in the very first pic for CATWS gives us good buttshot (see, my avatar). And the teaser poster was gratuitously focused on Evans backside. Also, see Xeno's (previous) avi (before Coulson).

Marvel does a great job with subverting sexualized imagery, in my opinion. This Black Widow poster? It's fine. I love it at least.

Hey! So Chris Evans did a ton of gymnastics training for this movie! And he talks camera angles and choreography for fight scenes. C'mon… don'tcha all want to talk about that?????

*I've never wanted the sneak preview for tomorrow to be more true than now…*

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. ThePowerCosmic

I wanna run my finger down the crack...

4. Suzanne78

OMG YES THIS!!

I am much more disturbed by people saying she was only "eye candy" when everything she's done in all the movies is the exact opposite of that.

5. CGHulk

CGHulk Well-Known Member

Here, somebody on reddit fixed her anatomy.

[​IMG]

6. Shikamaru

I can't comment on whether or not she was photoshopped but if she was, someone had to spend some time analysing the image to discover that. In other words, someone spent time looking for any traces of sexism to be present. Which just proves my point even further.

Well said.

There is another thing I forgot to add: she is literally the strongest non-superpowered character in the MCU. Yes, out of all the characters we have seen so far that don't have any powers, she literally kicks the most ass.

But nope. I guess even that counts for nothing.

7. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

The thing is, they're being incredibly selective in what elicits their faux-rage. The DOFP covers didn't cause a ripple, despite being incredibly problematic. There is serious room for feminist criticism of Mystique's presentation on film, but you're not apt to read any on the Internet. The hypocrisy is annoying.

And this marks yet another instance in which there was exciting news about a Marvel film, but the discussion was immediately derailed by people who were more interested in pushing an agenda than the film itself. It's as predictable as it is tiresome.

8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I can barely tell the difference.

9. Axl Van Sixx

Axl Van Sixx Comrade

This is why I mostly try to avoid discussions about gender issues these days.

10. Suzanne78

Same here.

11. CGHulk

CGHulk Well-Known Member

Please compare the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Suzanne78

Sooooo… Chris wants to be a good role model for kids. He also loves dogs. And he called Hugh Jackman a f****r.

Discuss. :cwink:

13. Six

Six Beast-mode

That looks much better.

14. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Nobody is even hinting that people shouldn't express concern over stuff like this but seriously this is one of the least sexualized superheroine images I have ever seen.

The complaints seemingly boil down to "Black Widow has boobs and a waist and I'm angry because I can see them" which is strange because one sees that sort of thing every day if you can be bothered to go outside.

One only has to Google 'Social Justice Warriors' and a lot of this behaviour will become crystal clear.

15. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes, and yes.

16. Six

Six Beast-mode

Your kidding me right now, right?

- I don't have access to photoshop right now
    - I don't have access to the films photoshoots
    - Marvel isn't giving me any money
    - That poster IS objectively awful, theres no denying it, they can't even get the anatomy right

Do you really want to waste your time defending a piece of crap poster that was crapped out by some lazy hack?

17. Suzanne78

Isn't this your opinion, though?

Just saying.

18. HighFivingMF

HighFivingMF Welp.

I like when things get hit with the shield...

19. Shikamaru

Personally, that is what I find sexist. Apparently women can't take pride in their breast/waist sizes, and their beauty by extension. If anything is degrading here, it is the belief that being sexy and showing it is some sort of taboo. It isn't, for both men and women.

Translation: "I'm right, you're wrong; I said so."

Thank you for your intellectually stimulating input.

20. Six

Six Beast-mode

Nope. Captain America's feet.

21. Suzanne78

I like it when he throws his mighty shield…. because all who oppose it must yield. Apparently.

22. HighFivingMF

HighFivingMF Welp.

Falcon sure does look cool in action.

23. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

I don't see anything wrong with the poster, I think it's beautifully constructed from a visual standpoint. You're calling an artists work awful and lazy because they slimmed down a waistline (which due to the light source looks a bit slimmer)

I'm not defending anything, but to call this "awful" and the work of a "lazy hack" is out of line. So yes again, please create something better then.

24. Six

Six Beast-mode

:doh:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

People defend the stupidest **** sometimes, i swear to god. she looks like a freakin giraffe
    The only way you'd acknowledge its a poorly done poster is if she had an extra limb... actually, I think some of you would defend it still just to go against the grain

PEOPLE GET PAID MONEY TO DO THIS. THEY SHOULD DO A HALFWAY DECENT JOB. It is an INSULT to REAL artists that crap like this gets okayed because Marvel is lazy when it comes to posters

25. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

I hope they come out with a Falcon and Winter Soldier individual poster as well!

I'm so excited for this movie, those behind the scenes photos and Evans interview have only amped up my excitement that much more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.