Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 16

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

I think 80%-90% is a very realistic range for this movie, given the advance buzz and Marvel's confidence. Anything above that is gravy. But so long as it doesn't drop below 60%… that would kind of not be great.

Y'all, I'm kind getting teary with this Community episode. That the Russos can do a phenomenal goodbye in 30 mins, I cannot even imagine what they will do when Steve recognizes Bucky and when they finally fight in the third act.

OH SWEET! Hulu just showed a TV spot for Cap!! Was hoping they'd start showing them on here like they did with T:TDW!

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I agree. I am hoping for between 80%-90%. If this gets an Avengers or Iron Man like score, then awesome! But, few CBMs have achieved that. I don't think we can expect that type of rating, except for maybe Avengers: Age of Ultron.

3. MynAmeIsedDie90

MynAmeIsedDie90 Devourer of Worlds

94%. You heard it here :)

4. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

I never concern myself with what percent it's gonna be recieved, or reviews. Or what other think. I'm seeing the movie for myself. If I enjoy it, that's all that matters. Don't need to worry about hoping it gets an 80-90%

5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

For my personal opinion, I don't care about this stuff. It doesn't effect my enjoyment at all. BUT, for generating positive buzz, word of mouth, etc. Things like this DO matter. This is where I concern myself. I want this film to succeed. Be well liked by critics. Break the BO bank. Etc. I want to see the Russos build something strong here, and given a chance to continue the series (assuming TWS matches our expectations).

I don't want Cap to be where Hulk is at. I enjoy the heck out of TIH. I don't agree with many of the complaints. But, you can't argue BO dollars. Due to BO dollars, TIH2 is still not a sure thing. Even for phase 3. I know this won't happen. Cap already has a sequel now and it looks to be of very high quality. But, don't count your chickens until they hatch.

6. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

The rating has a legitimate impact on the boxoffice.

7. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

Yeah I understand all that, but still can't concern myself with it really. Oh well haha.

8. Suzanne78

Yeah, I *wish* things like RT or Metacritic scores didn't really matter; they don't actually matter to me. But for B.O. performance, at least most of the time, it plays a huge factor.

Since Cap's my MCU guy, and Bucky's one of my favorite characters, and I adore pretty much this entire cast and the Russos and everything just looks amazing so far, I'm really hoping that the movie they crafted impresses the critics. I've kind of gotten a feeling that the critics, not the GA, are getting burned out on superhero movies, so I do think it'll be interesting to see how this movie's received by them.

9. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Well-Known Member

I feel that even if this movie is a 90% caliber film it will still end up in the 70s because critics are [email protected] :p

10. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

11. Minxie

Minxie Well-Known Member

A tiny note about flashbacks in there
    Roughly 2% of the movie will be flashbacks so not very much at all. But I'm not disappointed. As long as I get just a few glimpses of Bucky being transformed into the Winter Soldier I'll be happy, and odds are that's what that 2% will be. :)

12. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Looking at Michael Bay and his Transformers movies show that the ratings really don't. Creating something that has multiple-rewatchability is probably a bigger factor.

13. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I really liked on how they addressed the issue of people asking on why Steve or Tony didn't just call one of the other available Avengers for help.

It's definitely understandable and makes sense. Though I wish I could say the same about the finale in TDW, but I won't get into that here.

I also enjoy on how they have no problem really staying true to Steve's good old values.

I feel like there are times where filmmakers just opt towards creating more "anti" or even "reluctant" heroes because there's more flexibility in what they can do with them and all of the drama, but I don't think it's wrong or necessarily boring to present naturally good spirited heroes like Captain America, Superman, or Spider-Man.

14. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

15. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I like that they talked about an R-rated Marvel project, and then mentioned that might be leaking a little too much.

I'm betting they're referring to the Netflix series. Which would make me very happy if they give those "Marvel Knights" shows a TV-M or R-rating. DD, Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones deserve them. (Plus, that might be an indirect hint that we'll see Crossbones in those shows.)

16. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Google did a study of the factors that can be used to predict the box office performance of films that found the user ratings on RT/Flixter to be a much more reliable predictor of weekend grosses. Critics' reviews/ratings had a negligible impact on earnings. This makes sense because people are generally more swayed by the reactions of their peers to films than to reviews.

In that same vein, reaction on Twitter, Facebook and other social media probably have more impact than RT scores. Word of mouth from the general audience, good or bad, affects people's interest in movies. That is why Marvel's early screenings are a brilliant strategy for this film. By showing it to select audiences and encouraging them to spread their reactions on social media, the studio is getting good buzz going before reviews even hit. Assuming that the majority who see CATWS will enjoy it, the reactions will generate invaluable publicity that will far outweigh the importance of critics' ratings.

Quantifying Movie Magic Research Studies

17. jed

jed Well-Known Member

So "The Winter Soldier" is going to open on 27th March in my country.

That's a week earlier than the North American release.

I'm pretty excited about it. Looking forward to it in two weeks time.

I will be posting my review and thoughts on the movie here too.

I hope there's a thread where members can post reviews with spoilers so that they can share it with other members too.

Thanks.

18. antovolk

antovolk Well-Known Member

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/blog/captain-america-footage-screening

Not sure about IMAX, Disney made regular 2D and 3D DCPs of this.

This should be attached to 300 in other non-US markets as well, may be exclusive to certain cinemas so check with them. I know for sure Italy are getting it as well...

19. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

There's usually a thread that is so I wouldn't worry about it.

20. TheIrishAvenger

TheIrishAvenger You are not special.

New Disney XD Featurette With New Footage!

21. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Wow, the last few days have been nothing but awesome for fans of Captain America and for this film when it comes to promotional material.

I mean we got several new (and great I might add) TV Spots, along with a 4 minute clip that has really boosted the already high confidence level for this film up exponentially for a good amount of people.

I can only imagine this all being capped off with an appearance of one of the cast members from this film within the SHIELD series before the film premieres nationwide for everyone.

22. TJByrum

TJByrum Captain America Fan

That's some pretty good new footage we got up above.

@Herolee10: I agree with what you said. They've been doing a lot of promotion for this movie. They had those scenes before Thor:TDW, before the Superbowl, during the Olympics, and then had Chris Evans be the Grand Marshal for the Daytona 500, and they've been showing more clips in front of other movies like 300.

I always felt like Cap never got his moment to shine in front of the GA, but this movie looks absolutely terrific.

They've been keeping Peggy, Batroc, and Sharon under wraps for a while now, but I'm glad that finally showed a little bit of Batroc. I'm glad GSP got that role, he's perfect for it; I only wish he had a bigger role in the movie, or at least a future movie.

23. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Noticed that his team has Sharon, Maria, Sam & Natasha

24. Suzanne78

Oh wow! What an interesting read. The funny thing is, I never check the reader reviews for movies. I actually only look at the critic's reviews. But even then it's out of curiosity and hope that the movie is doing well.

Really food for thought, there!

25. TJByrum

TJByrum Captain America Fan

I read reviews for video games. I don't base purchases off of the score, but I like to read what flaws the reviewers found.

As for movies, I don't care about reviews, but I do like to hear people discuss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.