Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - - - Part 18

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]475297[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]474923[/split]

3. Web Head

Web Head Active Member

Agent Sitwell from SHIELD, is talking about how they are trying to keep potential threats in check. I don't remember the exact word for word line, but it was something along the lines of "With this we can keep potential threats like Bruce Banner or Steven Strange in line" Again not word for word because it was quick, but in my opinion it sounds like he is out there, and SHIELD is already keeping an eye on him

4. ThePowerCosmic

It's
    Stephen, dammit. Stephen Strange!
    :cmad:

5. Web Head

Web Head Active Member

My bad, but either way, I am just waiting to hear the film announcement at Comic-Con this summer.

6. Visiting Arkham

Visiting Arkham Well-Known Member

My spoiler free review from the other thread:

I just got back from a screening, and I thought it was great. It ranks as just below The Avengers and Iron Man 3 for me. The action is spectacular, most likely the best it's ever been, but more than that was the characterization. More specifically, Cap, Black Widow, Falcon, and Nick Fury are beautifully written, with Steve Rogers himself making a massive impact. He is probably my favorite Marvel character at the moment, and the way they wrestle with his moral standing in a grey world is done perfectly, and it absolutely evolved on the uncertainty we see in The Avengers.

The film felt very grounded, and I could absolutely see why it's been described as a conspiracy thrillers. From visiting Cap's apartment to showing the bureaucracy of SHIELD, there was a weight that you could feel, that motivated the character's actions and moved the plot forward. Even the big reveal of the film, which could have come off as cheesy, went over smoothly because of everything we have seen prior.
    I would say they way SHIELD is payed off in this film makes Iron Man 2 completely worth it from that standpoint, and I am actually excited to see what happens on Agents of SHIELD now (as opposed to mildly interested).

That said, it's not a perfect movie. While I loved the action, I'd say the camera work could be slightly too jerky at times. You could tell the choreography was beautiful, but there were times when I would have loved to have seen a combination of moves that were edited a bit too much for my liking. My biggest gripe, if you can even call it that, is the Winter Soldier himself. Sebastian Stan is great in the role, and his look and physical prowess are amazing to watch. However, his entire role in the film felt like it was missing something, like it was 80% complete. There are a couple of scenes peppered in to make us care about who he is and what this means to Cap, but I felt like he could have been integrated more into the plot and the emotional arc for Steve. As it stands, he is certainly an obstacle, and there is definitely catharsis to his story, but it could have been slightly more effective.

Overall though, this is a thrilling, wonderful movie. The Russos made a classic action/thriller, one with heart, brawn, and humor. I can't wait for what they'll do with Cap 3 with this experience. I give it a 9/10.

7. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Well-Known Member

Sitwell good or bad? How about Hill?

8. Visiting Arkham

Visiting Arkham Well-Known Member

Sitwell is incredibly evil, almost impossibly so given his benign actions in previous films and appearances. Hill is fully on the side of the angels.

9. Web Head

Web Head Active Member

One of the general surprises in the movie.

10. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

*Ahem*

For those of us who haven't seen the movie yet, and who will not see the movie until it comes out officially for another two weeks, Nerdist has an exclusive trailer that has a TON of amazing footage, and OMG WITH ALL THE KICKASSERY!!

[YT]S3x29nTMWOE[/YT]

11. Web Head

Web Head Active Member

That does show a lot of new footage. You can't fully appreciate the Steve vs. Winter Solider fights until you see them in all its glory. The bits and pieces from the trailers are great, but to see them go Toe to Toe, is just amazing.

12. Suzanne78

This will at least be on repeat a lot for the next couple of weeks.

Guaran-dam-teeeee!!

:word:

13. Dr. Evil

I kind of figured that Hill would remain good. Her turning bad would not have made any sense to me, especially due to her relationship with Coulson in the Agents of SHIELD pilot.

14. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

6 more days for me!!!!

15. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

I wouldn't say that's a Nerdist exclusive since I saw it earlier in the day listed as a TV spot on the other site.

16. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Well-Known Member

Preach it Sister!

17. Suzanne78

Oh LOL!! I didn't know that. It popped up on my twitterfeed like that.

I don't know about the rest of you, but unless these TV spots show up on Hulu, I never see them on television.

18. Dr. Evil

19. Avenging Spidey

Avenging Spidey Well-Known Member

I didn't read the rest of the review because I'm waiting for my screening on April, 11th, but reading that it's as good as The Avengers and Iron Man 3 are more than enough to me. The Avengers is right now my favorite superhero film of all time, and Iron Man 3 is my favorite solo superhero film by Marvel Studios, so it's quite a good omen reading you say that.

I firmly believe that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldiewill be the kings of superhero movies this yea, which could very well be one of the best years for superhero films ever. Can't thwipping wait!

20. smallville fan

Ok without really spoiling it for me, how were things on the villains side of things in the movie? You said that all the good guys were solid performances but how did the villains in the movie do compared to the "Mandarin" and Malekith? Just say whether they were better or not without mentioning names and details thanks.

21. Kurne

Kurne Well-Known Member

I'm worried.

The reviews for Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World almost never uttered "it's not a perfect movie" (look how those turned out) - reviews aren't shy about saying that for this film...

22. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

So not true.

23. Avenging Spidey

Avenging Spidey Well-Known Member

Source: To See Captain America Last Night In New York You Had To Leave A Little Of Your Dignity Behind (No Spoilers)

This story sucks. :(

24. Webfoot Hero

Mainly because those movies were far from it and critics readily picked apart any detail they didn't like. People are mentioning "it's not a perfect movie" with TWS since it comes pretty close in certain areas but misses to some degree in others. Nothing I've read so far has me overly concerned about the quality of this film.

25. Webfoot Hero

Sounds like they were having quite a problem with tickets to a lot of the early screenings since they didn't put a cap on how many people could sign up for them and Marvel and the theaters didn't let people know how limited tickets were. To see such a clamoring for a CA movie is a good thing and something I didn't expect after TFA. Seems the WOM and the Avengers boost is really happening with this film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.