The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he plays an aged Dum Dum Duggan recounting time as one of the first SHIELD agents and his run-ins with the Winter Soldier.

So they finally cast Steve Rogers...
After watching him in The Natural just days before TFA, I couldn't get on board with Evan's.

Just imagining this man in the role of Rogers in Avengers and it all starts to make sense. Sounding off with Tony, being out of place, jumping around new york...

Oh I never thought of him playing an older version of someone from the first movie...

He's an older version of that guy who was beating up Steve in that alley

I don't want Redford as an older version of Neal McDonagh. That just seems dumb dumb.

Maybe the super soldier serum wears off and Steve Rogers ages into Redford, until he can find a way to reverse the effects. Of course, that would only mean him having a cameo role.

If he's going to be in this movie, it shouldn't just be some random politician. I don't know who he could be as a senior SHIELD agent. The closest he seems is traditional 616 Nick Fury, but how are they going to explain that with SLJ at the same time?

Maybe they'll take a character who wasn't a SHIELD agent in the comics and turn him into one in the films. Either that, Dum Dum Dugan, or create a whole new character.

Yeah. I'd rather Neal McDonaugh still plays Dum Dum, even if they have to age him. Maybe Redford would be the new equivalent of Coulson where he's a newly created character for the movies who could gain popularity.

And that begs the question whether Redford could ever appear in the SHIELD TV series now.

Yeah, doesn't really match up age-wise for him to be Duggan, now that I think about it. I still think he will be portraying an agent that has squared off against Winter Soldier in the past.

shouldn't quartmain be younger?

I would think so, but maybe they are taking a different route with him. Maybe Quartermain is the agent who's dealt with the Winter Soldier in the past.

The reason I say Quartermain is that is says he's a high ranking shield agent. That's the only one I can think of that fits.. unless they just make a new one.

The best thing to come out of this casting announcement is that it is highly unlikely that Mr. Redford is coming out of sem-retirement unless he has a lot of confidence in the script and the directors. He certainly doesn't need the money.

Redford casting is awesome news and I'm really curious to see what type of character he'll be portraying in Winter Solider. The casting for this film is quite impressive.

That's exciting news, hope it works out.

I really hope so too. That would probably be the biggest casting coup Marvel has ever made, and would add a huge amount of gravitas to their acting ensemble. Not only that, but I think that anyone who thinks comic book movies are silly might think again with a name like Redford attached.

The only person I can think of comparable to Redford in a comic movie is Marlon Brando in Superman.

I'm drawing a blank on who he could possibly be playing.

Maybe the POTUS is killed in Iron Man 3, and Robert Redford is the Veep who replaces him?

Redford is older and seems more experienced than William Sadler though. If he were the VP, one would wonder why he is in that role in the first place and not POTUS.

Now wouldn't it be cool if somehow Redford encountered the Mandarin and they were old foes, and then Redford assembles a team to steal some codebreaking device from one of Mandarin's safe houses? :oldrazz:

*cough* Biden *cough*

In real life yes, but Redford has more charisma and... everything than Sadler.

Besides, in these types of action films (unless it's Air Force One), the POTUS tends to be a rather small role. So I'm guessing Redford wouldn't simply be playing a replacement POTUS but a different kind of role altogether.

Just hope he doesn't turn out to be Baron Zemo.

Maybe he's playing one of the people who replaced Steve as Captain America after WWII and had some prior run ins with winter soldier and is back to help out as a high level shield officer.

In real life yes, but Redford has more charisma and... everything than Sadler.

Besides, in these types of action films (unless it's Air Force One), the POTUS tends to be a rather small role. So I'm guessing Redford wouldn't simply be playing a replacement POTUS but a different kind of role altogether.

Just hope he doesn't turn out to be Baron Zemo.

Could be that the POTUS has a small role in Iron Man 3, but a bigger one in CATWS?

But yeah, it's a longshot.

Going back to the SHIELD rumor, I doubt it's Dum-Dum. Maybe he's one of the World Security Council people from the Avengers?

I really hope so too. That would probably be the biggest casting coup Marvel has ever made, and would add a huge amount of gravitas to their acting ensemble. Not only that, but I think that anyone who thinks comic book movies are silly might think again with a name like Redford attached.

The only person I can think of comparable to Redford in a comic movie is Marlon Brando in Superman.
Hopkins in Thor comes close, but getting Redford really would be incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"