The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think so, but maybe they are taking a different route with him. Maybe Quartermain is the agent who's dealt with the Winter Soldier in the past.

The reason I say Quartermain is that is says he's a high ranking shield agent. That's the only one I can think of that fits.. unless they just make a new one.

The description given by Deadline is: "Redford is in talks to play a senior leadership role in S.H.I.E.L.D., the superhero collective run by Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury character." That, to me, implies that the character isn't an active agent but may have been one prior to moving up the SHIELD food chain. So perhaps it could be Clay Quartermain, if they change the character's origin so that he was one of the original agents of SHIELD when it first began. Perhaps he could be a colleague of Peggy Carter's from when she ran SHIELD. That would be a kick in the head for Steve, I think.

Maybe he's playing one of the people who replaced Steve as Captain America after WWII and had some prior run ins with winter soldier and is back to help out as a high level shield officer.

That could be cool. Then he could actually wear a version of the Cap costume. He could be either William Naslund or Jeffrey Mace (who also became the Patriot). Just as long as he isn't William Burnside who became paranoid and violent as a result of an imperfect SSS.

Hopkins in Thor comes close, but getting Redford really would be incredible.

Hopkins is a big coup, but not quite on the same level as Redford I think. Hopkins wasn't a major star until later, whereas Redford already was in the 60s, and is probably more associated with classic cinema.

I hope Redford is an inactive agent that had run-ins with Winter Soldier throughout his active career. Redford can be the bridge that informs the Winter Soldier character between WW2 and present day, telling the audience that Winter Soldier has been active the whole time without showing Winter Soldier over the past seventy years.

Would be a big get if he is indeed cast. Only thing I'm left wondering is who he'll be playing. The senior SHIELD leadership role is so broad that it leaves a lot to be guessed.

I think he has to be senior leadership in SHIELD, because I don't see Redford playing someone who answers to Nick Fury. He's probably above him.

This is crazy that Robert Redford...of all actors...could be in a Marvel film. They just keep upping the ante and quality with their casting!

Wow, Redford would be an unbelievable addition to the cast. Talk about having one of the all-time greats!

Is it bad I have no idea who Robert Redford is? ...maybe I'm too young haha but I seriously have no clue. Seems like he's a good actor though so fine by me.

Is it bad I have no idea who Robert Redford is? ...maybe I'm too young haha but I seriously have no clue. Seems like he's a good actor though so fine by me.

Yep, it is bad. That's all I have to say, and no explanation as to who he is.

Considering he hasn't done a whole lot of big-budget movies lately, I'm really not surprised that you and other younger people don't know who he is.

Matters, how old are you?

If you are 16-17 or younger, nah. Still young, still discovering older films.

If your 18 or older and don't know who he is, then yeah, its pretty bad.

I think he has to be senior leadership in SHIELD, because I don't see Redford playing someone who answers to Nick Fury. He's probably above him.

Fury's title is "Director of SHIELD". Out here in the real world, agency directors are the top of the command structure. The Directors of Central Intelligence and the FBI answer only to the President, for instance, though Congress often nips at their heels. In the MCU SHIELD has been shown to work for of the World Security Council, with Fury as its chief. Now that Fury has evidence that the WSC committed a war crime on US soil, I would hope that he has some leverage there.

Perhaps Redford's character is a former agent working inside the WSC who wants Fury's job. That's an option I'd like better than having Maria Hill try to oust Fury, if only because the way Smulders plays the character she doesn't have to balls to credibly challenge Fury.

If you don't know who Robert Redford is, go watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President's Men, The Sting and The Natural. You're welcome :)

Fury's title is "Director of SHIELD". Out here in the real world, agency directors are the top of the command structure. The Directors of Central Intelligence and the FBI answer only to the President, for instance, though Congress often nips at their heels. In the MCU SHIELD has been shown to work for of the World Security Council, with Fury as its chief. Now that Fury has evidence that the WSC committed a war crime on US soil, I would hope that he has some leverage there.

Perhaps Redford's character is a former agent working inside the WSC who wants Fury's job. That's an option I'd like better than having Maria Hill try to oust Fury, if only because the way Smulders plays the character she doesn't have to balls to credibly challenge Fury.

Lol, imagine anyone in the MCU taking orders from Cobie Smulders. :funny:

Maybe she needed to be played by someone a bit older like Jennifer Connelly to seem more realistic.

If you don't know who Robert Redford is, go watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President's Men, The Sting and The Natural. You're welcome :)

Don't forget the Great Gatsby and Brubaker.

But if he doesn't like older movies, then there's always Lions for Limbs [sic] with Tom Cruise, Meryl Streep and Andrew Garfield.

Last edited:

:up:

Further recommendations: Spy Game, The Last Castle, Three Days of the Condor and Sneakers :awesome:

Last edited:
Oh yes, I forgot Sneakers, especially since I had a reference to that in an earlier post about RR's character encountering the Mandarin and having to steal a codebreaker. Ben Kingsley was also in Sneakers.

Should also mention that Redford is probably the ideal person in all of Hollywood you could cast as Cap if he were still in his prime. I think he embodies Rogers more than anyone else. So getting him on this project is almost like a nod to that, and like having (if he had played him) the original Cap from some earlier movie acting opposite Evans.

Last edited:
You should check out some of the movies he's directed, too. A River Runs Through It and Legend of Bagger Vance are his two most famous directorial works. Both great. :up:

Didn't he direct Ordinary People too, for which he won a best director Oscar? I think he might've directed Brubaker too, which is also a fitting name for something associated with Cap.

And he was in Out of Africa with Meryl Streep, Up Close and Personal with Michelle Pfieffer, and The Horse Whisperer with Kristin Scott Thomas and.... a young Scarlett Johansson. So it would be cool to have them acting opposite each other again.

Yeah he won an Oscar for directing Ordinary People. And he directed The Horse Whisperer, which starred a preteen/teenage(?) ScarJo

I hope Redford is an inactive agent that had run-ins with Winter Soldier throughout his active career. Redford can be the bridge that informs the Winter Soldier character between WW2 and present day

Or, he could just be Bridge....as in G.W. Bridge. :) Even if Bridge is black in the comics.

Anyho, it sounds like Redford replaces Fury as head of SHIELD during the movie:

"According to THR, Sources say that Redford will be playing an older member of secret government agency SHIELD, and one source has compared the role as similar to the one played by Ralph Fiennes as M’s replacement in last year’s James Bond movie Skyfall."

And yes, Redford is a huge "get." And landing him is likely to generate a LOT of buzz in Hollywood and attract even more names to the film. Remember when they landed Hopkins for Thor? It attracted big names like Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard and Idris Elba who were eager to work with Hopkins and/or Branagh; thespians who otherwise would've simply turned up their noses at "popcorn" fare like CBMs.

I'd be willing to bet that there's a bunch of major actors/actresses who will suddenly be banging on Marvel's door for a chance to work with Redford, now that he's come out of retirement for this.

And why *would* he come out of retirement for this? It does speak well of the script and the cast and crew if it attracted the attention of such a hallowed Olympian coming down from on high to mingle with mere mortals. I suspect that politics has a lot to do with it, since Redford is a noted political activist. If this self-described "political thriller" demonizes conservative politics in America, there's a damn good chance that's what Redford is interested in.

He wasn't retired, he's just been working on indies for a while now.

Yeah, Redford and political thriller are almost synomymous with each other. He might not necessarily be a fan of Cap, but he does like political thrillers and maybe that's what got his attention.

Plus if Marvel really want to promote this as a political thriller, what better way to do so than have Redford in it himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"