The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matters, how old are you?

If you are 16-17 or younger, nah. Still young, still discovering older films.

If your 18 or older and don't know who he is, then yeah, its pretty bad.

I'm 22, but not a huge fan of watching old movies, they usually don't keep me interested haha. I'll have to give some of those many suggestions people said a watch though. I guess seeing as he hasn't done anything that I've seen in the last 2 decades I'm not really surprised I don't know him. He seems like an actor my dad probably loved.

Yeah he really hasn't done a whole lot since the turn of the century, at least insofar as being in front of the camera.

Robert Redford as an older member of secret government agency SHIELD?

Maybe...

Colonel Rick Stoner?

In the comics, Stoner is the first known executive director, before Fury.

2303989-rickstoner_large.jpg

These are my two cents. :woot:

If this happens, it would be the biggest "get" for a comic book movie ever. I can't remember the last time Redford did a big budget movie.

If this happens, it would be the biggest "get" for a comic book movie ever. I can't remember the last time Redford did a big budget movie.

Well maybe other than Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson, although it's arguable that Redford is bigger than Nicholson.

The only other living actors on Redford's level I can think of are Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery. I suppose there's also De Niro (but he shows up in everything), Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. I think the fact that De Niro and Hoffman were in Meet the Fockers kind of makes them a bit more common place.

Redford probably wouldn't have his name attached to any old movie unless he were really confident in it and it had a certain calibre.

Redford is older and seems more experienced than William Sadler though. If he were the VP, one would wonder why he is in that role in the first place and not POTUS.

Now wouldn't it be cool if somehow Redford encountered the Mandarin and they were old foes, and then Redford assembles a team to steal some codebreaking device from one of Mandarin's safe houses? :oldrazz:

That was one of my favorite movies.

Well maybe other than Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson, although it's arguable that Redford is bigger than Nicholson.

The only other living actors on Redford's level I can think of are Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery. I suppose there's also De Niro (but he shows up in everything), Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. I think the fact that De Niro and Hoffman were in Meet the Fockers kind of makes them a bit more common place.

Redford probably wouldn't have his name attached to any old movie unless he were really confident in it and it had a certain calibre.

I'll agree with Nicholson but it was common knowledge Brando did everything for a paycheck at that point. Deniro has done a lot more mainstream stuff

Well Lions For Lambs got pretty well trounced by critics and flopped at the box office as I recall.

I'll agree with Nicholson but it was common knowledge Brando did everything for a paycheck at that point. Deniro has done a lot more mainstream stuff

Yeah, Brando's later career pretty much takes the air out of how special that casting coup was back in 1978. They probably could've easily had him in all 4 Supes films so long as they were willing to meet his price.

I'm 22, but not a huge fan of watching old movies, they usually don't keep me interested haha. I'll have to give some of those many suggestions people said a watch though. I guess seeing as he hasn't done anything that I've seen in the last 2 decades I'm not really surprised I don't know him. He seems like an actor my dad probably loved.

Start with Butch Cassidy. Seriously.

I think most buddy movies are modelled on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's a classic western and the ending has been homaged or spoofed dozens of times over.

BTW shouldn't William Sadler be in this movie if he survives IM3, especially if this is a political thriller? They need a consistent POTUS and not one who gets elected for each Marvel movie. It's not like these movies span every four years. Some are taking place concurrently so there's no time for dozens of elections and always introducing the new President.

I think most buddy movies are modelled on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's a classic western and the ending has been homaged or spoofed dozens of times over.

BTW shouldn't William Sadler be in this movie if he survives IM3, especially if this is a political thriller? They need a consistent POTUS and not one who gets elected for each Marvel movie. It's not like these movies span every four years. Some are taking place concurrently so there's no time for dozens of elections and always introducing the new President.
I guess it all depends on when CA: TWS takes place, with regard to IM3. Supposedly, [BLACKOUT]Sadler as POTUS gets killed in IM3 by The Mandarin's Extremis henchmen. After the attack, his VP takes over the office.[/BLACKOUT]

Well he certainly looks similar. But why not change his name to Reb Brown? :D

If Redford were to join the cast, how do you think he'll be billed in the credits? You can't just stick him somewhere in the middle. Will he get the "and" credit which is normally reserved for Samuel L Jackson? Can you really put SLJ after Redford or would it be:

With Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury
And Robert Redford

Redford tops SLJ, as much as I may love the latter. It'll be...

With SLJ
And Redford

I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that Robert ****ing Redford might be in Cap 2. This is enormous.

Given that THR describes his character as an older member of SHIELD whose role will be similar to Ralph Fiennes' character in Skyfall, I'm assuming that he's closer to the government than Fury is and they sent him to basically watch over Fury after what happened in the Avengers.

That said...he could always be Nick Fury Sr.

Well Lions For Lambs got pretty well trounced by critics and flopped at the box office as I recall.

Because anyone that pays attention to politics labels Redford as a severe left wing nutball. This isn't 20 years ago, Redford's name carries huge baggage now.

This is an AWFUL idea any way you cut it. A Captain America film of all things should not cast politically charged actors of this degree. Severe left wing or severe right wing, Cap and Marvel should avoid it at all cost. If this casting does happen , it WILL hurt box office to some degree, trust me.

I really dig the idea that Redford was a spy of some kind who chased the Winter Soldier, or came into conflict with Lukin or Zemo or whoever during the Cold War. That's pretty badass.

Because anyone that pays attention to politics labels Redford as a severe left wing nutball. This isn't 20 years ago, Redford's name carries huge baggage now.

This is an AWFUL idea any way you cut it. A Captain America film of all things should not cast politically charged actors of this degree. Severe left wing or severe right wing, Cap and Marvel should avoid it at all cost. If this casting does happen , it WILL hurt box office to some degree, trust me.
Captain America is already a politically risky property, I don't think adding Redford would do much.

There we go. I felt we were short of overblown hyperbole, and as usual the 'net did not fail to deliver.

The more I hear about TWS the more I'm looking forward to it. It was probably the film in phase 2 that I was least looking forward to (even though the first Cap was on of my favorites from phase 1) but now it's up there with IM3 in terms anticipation.

Captain America is already a politically risky property, I don't think adding Redford would do much.
Captain America is not really politically risky since they haven't had him really swayed one way or another. Marvel probably realizes they can't risk alienating one view because people of all political persuasions are potential moviegoers and there's no need to cut that potential BO in half. That's the problem a lot of movies have since they have the director, stars, and/or the studio pushing it to one side of the political spectrum and cutting off more money from the other side. Will there be some people who won't see it because of Redford's history and beliefs? Of course there will, but there will still be plenty who'll see it as long it's not pushing one political view over another or because they're big CA/comic book movie fans.

I really dig the idea that Redford was a spy of some kind who chased the Winter Soldier, or came into conflict with Lukin or Zemo or whoever during the Cold War. That's pretty badass.

Now I have the image of Redford and SLJ standing side-by-side, guns a-blazin' at HYDRA Nazi-lite scum stuck in my head.

I-CANT_zpsa3443d76.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"