The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? You honestly think they can tackle both the Winter Soldier storyline and have Bucky Cap in the same film? Even if it were just at the end it would just seem silly.

It'll probably be for Captain America III, if they choose to do a loose adaptation of the storyline where Steve got killed.

Being on SHIELD spy missions is a pretty good reason not to wear a red, white, and blue symbolic outfit. :/

Being on SHIELD spy missions is a pretty good reason not to tote around a big-ass shiny metal shield, too. How well do you think *that'll* work out? :dry:

I sez it before, and I sez it again: Cap is a Super-SOLDIER, not a Super-SPY. There's a huge difference in the skillset between him and, say, Black Widow and Hawkeye. That's why I don't buy into the theory that the costume change is somehow supposed to be stealthier, because it sure as hell isn't.

What? You honestly think they can tackle both the Winter Soldier storyline and have Bucky Cap in the same film? Even if it were just at the end it would just seem silly.

In the same film no. In the MCU? Maybe eventually.

Being on SHIELD spy missions is a pretty good reason not to tote around a big-ass shiny metal shield, too. How well do you think *that'll* work out? :dry:

I sez it before, and I sez it again: Cap is a Super-SOLDIER, not a Super-SPY. There's a huge difference in the skillset between him and, say, Black Widow and Hawkeye. That's why I don't buy into the theory that the costume change is somehow supposed to be stealthier, because it sure as hell isn't.
Except it is. It is not a bunch of bright colors and it is a darker blue. It's even more form fitting. You can bring the shield up, but it doesn't change the fact that the outfit itself is fit more for stealth than his traditional suit. The shield does not change this. By your logic, they should use a bright ass costume just because the shield is the same color. May as well go completely all out. :whatever:

Also, we don't see the shield in those pics in the first place, so that is pretty moot at this point.

Except it is. It is not a bunch of bright colors and it is a darker blue. It's even more form fitting. You can bring the shield up, but it doesn't change the fact that the outfit itself is fit more for stealth than his traditional suit. The shield does not change this. By your logic, they should use a bright ass costume just because the shield is the same color. May as well go completely all out. :whatever:

Also, we don't see the shield in those pics in the first place, so that is pretty moot at this point.

honestly, I fought on both sides of this war, and here I am now..

who caressssssss lol, it will work itself out in time :)

I agree. Bucky Cap just doesn't seem like workable idea.

That's one of those comic storylines that gets written because everything else has already been done. I hope to never see that garbage on screen.

Norman Osborn is not in IM3, and yet they saw fit to use the Iron Patriot suit.

The new suit doesn't mean he's giving up the Cap mantle. It's just a new suit they decided to use.

I said there just better be a good story driven reason for it, I didn't say it had to a specific story. Just like Rhodey being the Iron Patriot armor has a story driven reason behind it as well.

Last edited:
Now see, if he gives up the mantle (temporarily, of course), the costume change *would* make sense. What I don't want to see is a completely arbitrary shift from red white and blue patriot symbolism to a dull blue generic suit like this for no other reason than for sheets 'n' giggles. That is not only moronic, but also insulting to everything that Cap stands for.

If he goes all "Nomad", so be it. Good show. If he goes "Agent Rogers," and lets Bucky don the flag and shield temporarily, so be it. Good show. Those stories make sense, and they're part of the lore and mythos. Just "trying out a new look" --- one that is very UN-Captain American --- is a load of horse****.

exactly

Oh, you mean exactly like, you know, the ACTUAL Captain America costume? The red, white and blue one that evokes the American flag? THAT costume that's been iconic for the past, oh, 72 years?

Then yeah. They may as well go completely all out. Because that's the damn point of the costume, and the character. Not sneaking around and playing Sam Fisher.

You're assuming an awful lot about a film you've only seen a few setpics from.

You're assuming an awful lot about a film you've only seen a few setpics from.

So is everybody else arguing from the other side of the aisle.

But yeah, agreed....this costume change could represent only a small fraction of the film, so it's not worth us traditionalists getting worked up about. (Yet. But stay tuned if the writing on the wall keeps heading in that direction. :argh:)

gotta be open to change Sam! traditionalism can only be so appealing before it gets too boring

Maybe the reason Steve changed his costume is because Rhodes stole his look as iron patriot

to all the people out there not liking the new costume, while i myself dig it, i can empathise; i hated the mark 42 when i first saw it.

my advice, don't let it get you down too much, and who knows, maybe it will grow on you. at least in this case, you have a narrative-based justification for steve's more subdued colour scheme.

to all the people out there not liking the new costume, while i myself dig it, i can empathise; i hated the mark 42 when i first saw it.

my advice, don't let it get you down too much, and who knows, maybe it will grow on you. at least in this case, you have a narrative-based justification for steve's more subdued colour scheme.

do you like the 42 now? I was 50-50 at first but the more I saw it the more it grew on me, now I enjoy it. It's just 'one of the suits' to me now haha.

do you like the 42 now? I was 50-50 at first but the more I saw it the more it grew on me, now I enjoy it. It's just 'one of the suits' to me now haha.

i like it a lot more than i did. i still prefer the classic red and gold, but i can see why they felt the need to do something different.

still, if the mark 42 was say, the silver centurion design instead, i would be even more keen to see the movie (and i am already extremely keen lol)

gotta be open to change Sam! traditionalism can only be so appealing before it gets too boring

Have you watched the "Making of the Hero" extras on the TFA blueray? They, including Kevin Feige, discuss the costume in great detail and discuss this... so many attempts to change Caps look over the last 70 years, and none of them ever work, it always goes back to the classic look... Same can be said for Spiderman.

Have you watched the "Making of the Hero" extras on the TFA blueray? They, including Kevin Feige, discuss the costume in great detail and discuss this... so many attempts to change Caps look over the last 70 years, and none of them ever work, it always goes back to the classic look... Same can be said for Spiderman.

I would argue that part of the reason they don't work is that too many comic readers demand that things never change. It's part of the reason comics' popularity only goes so high. Any change is looked at like some kind of affront.

Last edited:
I would argue that part of the reason they don't work is that too many comic readers demand that things never change. It's part of the reason comic's popularity only goes so high. Any change is looked at like some kind of affront.

I've come to notice in my year or so here that many comic readers are, no offense to anyone, very stubborn. so that statement doesn't surprise me at all haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"