Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 4

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

yes

2. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

Hmmm well while training a couple years ago I was having shoulder problems. My doctor was saying my shoulder was getting too large and was asking why I was lifting so much 0.o.... I let it rest for a bit and then went back at it

3. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

4. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

My shoulders and back hurt just from reading back day. I do mostly compound movements, the worst being barbell thrusters of course.

5. Sneakronicity

Sneakronicity Well-Known Member

So, how about that plot? Or them awesome characters? How about how rough this entire film is gonna be for poor Steve? How are they going to balance out everything in this film? Is the arrow necklace a little easter egg thing? How much backstory are we gonna get on Fury? How cool is Falcon looking? Are we gonna see some set pics of VanCamp any time soon?

Basically can we talk about anything other than Chris Evans' body for a while? Pretty please?

6. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Nope!!! :argh:

So...Chris's left pinky isn't as big as it was in Cap I, he's really pissing me off...

7. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

I am interested in how they're going to connect Agent 13 and Winter Soldier to the SHIELD conspiracy and Nick Fury role in the film. Also, what Winter Soldier's mission is. Seeing as the story takes place in DC, I have to imagine it will be an assassination attempt on the president.

8. Son of Coul

Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

If that's the case, it seems poor President Ellis can't catch a damn break.

9. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

Well, Agent 13 is a SHIELD agent.

10. Mr. Dent

But that doesn't explain what her role in the plot is. Nick Fury is a SHIELD agent too but we don't know what role he will play. Same with Pierce. It's obvious she's not on Cap's team (or at least they're not saying) judging from what Mackie said and one of the writers said it would be a spoiler to reveal how involved Sharon is in the plot.

11. BullMcGiveny

I had heard what Mackie said, but what did one of the writers say?

I have no idea what he role will be. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's included mostly as a nod to the comics.

12. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

But I doubt Marvel would have put so much effort and time into casting that role if it was such a small part. I think she'll be introduced and have an action scene or two in TWS (sort of like Cobie Maria Hill in TA) but I think her biggest parts will come in whatever future MCU movies she appears in again.

13. BullMcGiveny

I'm honestly not sure if Marvel put that much effort into casting her, though.

Like, at least three actresses "rumored" for the part turned out not to have known anything about it.

I also doubt the wisdom of casting her in this if her biggest roles would only come later. This is the movie to establish Captain America as a franchise in the present, so if Natasha is made the lead, only could expect she'll continue to be so in future movies.

14. Mr. Dent

One of the writers was being interviewed and the interviewer asked could he tell him how big a role Agent 13 would have and he was acting like well, to tell you that would be a spoiler.

EDIT: Here's the interview

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/04/chri...pain-gain-captain-america-the-winter-soldier/

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  15. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Hadn't seen that before. Their answer could just be the standard Marvel response but that interview makes me think her part is bigger than what I had initially guessed. I'm not sure what the point would be to stay mum on a story point like that if it wasn't something important to the movie's plot.

16. Mr. Dent

I feel like she's going to be in disguise or acting as a villain under cover. That's the only way to explain why they didn't want to say how prominent her role is. And it makes sense from the perspective of the comics, since that's how she was played up in some earlier issues of Cap/Tales of Suspense.

17. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Yeah, I seem to have missed pages and pages of stuff from yet another guy who is bigger/works out more than Chris. And someone weighed him because they know that he's exactly 12 lbs. lighter than before. :doh:

18. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

The "uhhh....no comment" could be in response to the fact that the reporter specifically said "Emily VanCamp's Sharon Carter." It still hasn't been confirmed that she's Sharon Carter, so he could've been hedging his bets with the Marvel Snipers; or it could be that the reporter, like most of us, made an assumption that isn't the case. i.e., EVC's Agent 13 might not be Sharon Carter. (I'm starting to lean a little more towards MCU Agent 13 = Carol Danvers. But it's a slight lean.)

19. Sneakronicity

Sneakronicity Well-Known Member

That kinda what I get out of that quote too. If VanCamp is really playing Sharon Carter why is nobody calling her that? It just seems very strange to keep a character's name secret if there's no reason to.

20. Caboose

Caboose Well-Known Member

I would be totally okay with that.

21. BullMcGiveny

Actually, I'm starting to see that.

I've seen a lot of talk about how we don't see or hear anything about her because Marvel is trying to keep things on the hush-hush. It could be that they want the revelation that she's Peggy's niece to be a surprise.

But if they're doing that, then why call her Agent 13? Comics fans know who that is, and news would spread easily. If they really wanted to keep it hidden, then they would have given the character another codename.

So it could be a red herring.

Could it be Carol? I think EVC would be kinda young, but it is a possibility. Marvel certainly took their time casting her, and Sharon isn't a role you'd imagine being that hard to cast unless she was in the running for a spot on the Avengers.

22. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Well, here's the thing.
    As fanboys, we all know that Agent 13 = Sharon Carter. We all know that Sharon Carter is Cap's main squeeze, and EVC was definitely cast for "the love interest." So, common sense says yeah: Sharon Carter.

But looking at it in a film from the general audience's eyes, Sharon Carter looks like Black Widow in a white jumpsuit; and more than a few people in this very thread expressed (pretty vocally) that Cap dating a Peggy Carter relative has an "ick" factor (I personally don't see it, since they're several generations removed, and other things, but hey, apparently some people have a problem with it).

So that's two potential problems with introducing Sharon into the MCU: (1) redundancy to Black Widow's role, and (2) "keeping it in the family" might make some audience members a little uncomfortable with Cap's dating choices.

So, *if* those are issues that Cap's writers are having some trouble with, I could see the MCU "Agent 13" being an entirely different character than what we're expecting.

23. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Does other things include the fact that Peggy and Cap never actually dated?

24. Mr. Dent

I don't think so. Even if Van Camp weren't Sharon Carter (which is only like a 15% possibility) then I doubt of all characters she could be it will be Carol Danvers.

25. Crimson King

Crimson King Superhero Novelista

Why not? They're already developing a script for Ms. Marvel and having her be a SHIELD agent is the easiest way to fold her into the MCU universe. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.