The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's not Peggy's Grand daughter, she's a grand niece, so she's the daughter of one of Peggy's relatives. it's really not skeevy.

Also, for whoever said so.. Steve didn't kiss anyone in Avengers..

they were dividing total number of kisses over movies. there were two in TFA

She's not Peggy's Grand daughter, she's a grand niece, so she's the daughter of one of Peggy's relatives. it's really not skeevy.

EDIT: never mind

The Marvel wiki is worded badly and makes it sound like she's Peggy's younger sister. Either way, it's still lazy writing. I'd rather they ditch the connection.

Last edited:
And the Sharon/Steve thing is totally skeevy, I don't care who's writing it. There's no good way to write a guy falling for his former flame's granddaughter.

She isn't her granddaughter, and the yes, there are.

The most simple way is to have Steve fall for her without knowing she's related to Peggy. Another simple way is to have her not be related to Peggy at all.

The only true reason why it can't be pulled off is the lack of will to pull it off.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. It's even worse when you consider that he went to sleep (essentially) one day with Peggy as his love, then woke up the next to scromp her granddaughter. Ew.

Having Sharon be Peggy's relative is lazy writing, anyway. I hope they do away with it in the MCU.

In the original comics, they introduced Sharon/Agent 13 as Steve's love interest after he awoke and found out that his wartime love Peggy was then twenty years older than him. The fact that Steve flat-out rejected Peggy in favor of her younger sister made the situation even skeevier than any movie scenario could be. It was a kind of sick love triangle, with Peggy as a sort of mopey older woman longing for the gorgeous young man her sister was making out with on the side. I have sisters and that is one line you do not cross if you have any respect at all for your siblings. As such, I have always detested the Steve/Sharon relationship and would hate to see it in the MCU.

It is totally skeevy, no matter what the relationship between Peggy and Sharon. If they were real people they would end up on Springer or Maury with nasty captions under their faces. "Romanced a woman AND her sister/niece/whatever;" "Slept with her sister/aunt's boyfriend;" "Spurned Spinster: My sister stole my man!" Cue the dueling banjos.

I am well aware of Steve's other relationships. The only girlfriend of his I ever really liked was Bernie. Sharon, apart from the creepy aspect of being Peggy's sister/niece/whatever, never really had an interesting personality in the comics and her relationship with Steve was centered mainly on their work with SHIELD. The two of them didn't have a particularly romantic relationship, even in what passes for romance in comic books they were lacking.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with romantic, but their relationship in the silver age was what you'd expect from comics romances of the time, possibly even more saccharine.

Their later attempts at a relationship might have not been too lovey-dovey, but Steve is no Peter Parker and Sharon is not Mary Jane.

In the original comics, they introduced Sharon/Agent 13 as Steve's love interest after he awoke and found out that his wartime love Peggy was then twenty years older than him. The fact that Steve flat-out rejected Peggy in favor of her younger sister made the situation even skeevier than any movie scenario could be. It was a kind of sick love triangle, with Peggy as a sort of mopey older woman longing for the gorgeous young man her sister was making out with on the side. I have sisters and that is one line you do not cross if you have any respect at all for your siblings. As such, I have always detested the Steve/Sharon relationship and would hate to see it in the MCU.

Except that by the time Steve found Peggy again, he'd already been dating Sharon for years without knowing the two were related.

He didn't reject Peggy in favor of her younger sister. He rejected the woman he loved briefly in the war for the woman he's been in love with for years in the present.

Forget it, people just like making it more creepy than it actually is

She isn't her granddaughter, and the yes, there are.

The most simple way is to have Steve fall for her without knowing she's related to Peggy. Another simple way is to have her not be related to Peggy at all.

The only true reason why it can't be pulled off is the lack of will to pull it off.

He would eventually find out though, right? You're only delaying the problem. And if you make it so she's not related, you're never going to face the problem, so that's not exactly "dealing" with it. I support that way wholeheartedly, but it's not like that's some genius storytelling method to make the relationship not weird.

I don't get the weirdness of Steve with Sharon I really don't

It is totally skeevy, no matter what the relationship between Peggy and Sharon. If they were real people they would end up on Springer or Maury with nasty captions under their faces. "Romanced a woman AND her sister/niece/whatever;" "Slept with her sister/aunt's boyfriend;" "Spurned Spinster: My sister stole my man!" Cue the dueling banjos.

No it's not, come on now. Remember they retconned Sharon twice now, each time they retcon when steve awoke from the ice. The one you are referring too was the first, and obvious has nothing to due with the movie verse because there is no way the two could be sisters. They are not separated by 20 years, they're separated by 70 years, that's a major difference. The second retcon Sharon was a grand niece, which is what I would assume they would do here since it's a more similar situation. I think it makes sense that Steve would fall for her because Peggy is now gone, completely, and Sharon resembles Peggy both in looks and in personality, which is what attracks Steve, not to mention Steve and Peggy never even had a chance in the Movie verse, they just kissed, unless more happened that we haven't seen yet.

He would eventually find out though, right? You're only delaying the problem. And if you make it so she's not related, you're never going to face the problem, so that's not exactly "dealing" with it. I support that way wholeheartedly, but it's not like that's some genius storytelling method to make the relationship not weird.

I already said those are merely the simplest ways to handle it.

Steve falling for Sharon while not knowing who she is initially goes to demonstrate the difference between it being right or wrong; Steve is attracted to Sharon because of her qualities, not who she's related to.

Not buying the Cap/Widow romantic angle. I think it's meant to be an attempt at hiding from whoever's chasing them. Look, I wouldn't mind Cap-ow at all, if that indeed comes to pass. I'm neither (too) invested in Agent 13 as a character nor her relationship with Cap. I just don't think that Cap/Widow becoming romantically involved is the case, here.

1. They are wearing (what Hollywood typically considers to be) disguises... a chick in a hoodie and classically handsome man in nerdy glasses. While the "attractive leads must become romantically involved" trope is about as common as it gets in movies, the whole "we'll kiss and the goons chasing us will not look too closely at our faces" trope is up there as well.

2. A Cap/Widow romance was never previously foreshadowed. Widow's attitude towards Cap went from 'yea, whatever' at the beginning of The Avengers to respect over the course of that movie. If anything, a future Maria Hill/Cap romance might have been hinted at via a couple of longing glances from Ms. Hill.

3. Sharon Carter IS in the movie.

Steve falling for Sharon while not knowing who she is initially goes to demonstrate the difference between it being right or wrong; Steve is attracted to Sharon because of her qualities, not who she's related to.

It doesn't handle it in either case, though. That being said, it all comes down to your personal comfort level with the idea.

Sharon/Steve is just so lame, IMO. It's a weak attempt to tie his present to his past.

I think the Steve/Sharon thing is kinda weird too.

Also, genuine question: Is there anything remotely interesting about Sharon? The only time anyone mentions her it's about her being with Steve (and the grand niece/daughter/uncle/whatever thing that comes with it) and when I read TWS story arc, she was just kinda there to call the Captain out on his ********. Do people want the character because she's engaging and brings a great dynamic to Cap or do they want her just because she was in the comics?

They should follow up on the "Captain America saved my life" waitress from The Avengers. Maybe there could be some interesting stuff that spins of of that.

I think she's a great character I like the way the play off each other in Brubakers run.

I posted a while ago that I thought Steve and Natasha would be the love interest and Agent 13 would turn out to be Carol Danvers/Capt. Marvel. I was just speculating but these pictures make me wonder if I might have actually been right for once! :) Especially with the secrecy surrounding Emily Van Camp's character. Not saying it's for sure, but maybe

I think the Steve/Sharon thing is kinda weird too.

Also, genuine question: Is there anything remotely interesting about Sharon? The only time anyone mentions her it's about her being with Steve (and the grand niece/daughter/uncle/whatever thing that comes with it) and when I read TWS story arc, she was just kinda there to call the Captain out on his ********. Do people want the character because she's engaging and brings a great dynamic to Cap or do they want her just because she was in the comics?

Well, I'd call Sharon being respective of Cap and calling him out on his ******** a great dynamic.

But yeah, I think Sharon is fairly interesting. For one thing, she's a female legacy. A lot of female characters in traditionally male roles in fiction offer justifications such as 'I'm following in my father's footsteps' or 'I'm doing this because of this male figure in my life'

Sharon is one of a few characters that do what she do; ie becoming an elite SHIELD agent because of the influence her aunt has on her.

She's also a great foil for Steve, and Natasha, actually. She was initially very idealistic, due to the aformentioned influence of her French resistance war hero aunt, but she ultimately was soured by her experiences. She's still a good agent with morals, but she has a much bleaker outlook than before.

I think it was in the seventies that Sharon was killed off while on a mission. About twenty years later, Mark Waid brought her back by explaining that her death was faked by SHIELD so that she could go on a top secret mission.

The mission failed, and SHIELD abandoned Sharon behind enemy lines. Sharon spends the next few years working as a mercenary, doing "some things violent, other things degrading" in order to survive.

She eventually returns to Steve's life, and even though she fully believes both Cap and SHIELD betrayed her, she still comes through for them in the clutch.

It was around this time that she became director of SHIELD and a year or so.

If anyone really wants to read Sharon at her strongest as a character, I would suggest Mark Waid's run.

Last edited:
all dem words
Okay, I can see where stuff can be mined there. While I agree calling out Cap on his ******** could be a great dynamic, it was the fact that TWS story arc featured Steve acting erratically, so similar dynamics were popping up all over; kind of like how everyone complains at Tony in the films, but there's always a little more there between them. I guess you could say the same here though, I dunno.

That actually is a cool background that can be played with-- the fallen idealist. How about her personality, like how she'd be at a party?

They should follow up on the "Captain America saved my life" waitress from The Avengers. Maybe there could be some interesting stuff that spins of of that.

I kind of wished that they would. At least have Steve date the normal, average, nice person who he met in his civilian guise and then saved. Maybe it wouldn't work out, but that would show Steve trying to adjust to the present and form connections to people outside of the strange superhero world he works in.

It could also be handled by making Sharon the proactive one, instead of Steve.

The way I see it: Sharon grew up listening to Granny/Auntie Peggy telling great stories about her adventures with Cap and the SSR, and that's what spurred her to join SHIELD herself. Then when word got out that Cap was still alive, she did everything in her power to get transferred to his department/unit. It'd be like a schoolgirl crush, but it would make sense to the audience, and wouldn't make Steve look like a cradle-robber, since they're technically the same age (roughly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"